Old 15th January 2014
Gear nut

Namm 2014: Roland

Does anyone have any idea what Roland is going to release? They really seem to be building suspense.

Last edited by narf; 15th January 2014 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: typo on title
Old 15th January 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by narf View Post
Does anyone have any idea what Roland is going to release? They really seem to be building suspense.
There have been some changes in structure. I have not heard about the new gear. I am hoping they hire some new designers and stop making gear look like it did in the 80s. Holy cow. Roland has some of the ugliest digital audio mixers and personal mixers. It is a good thing looks don't dictate technology, sound quality or customer service. They have the best support team around IMO.
Old 15th January 2014
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCMe View Post
I am hoping they hire some new designers and stop making gear look like it did in the 80s.
and just the other day I told them on twitter they should do like korg and bring classic gear back from the dead (i.e. TR-909)

Well, what do you know... they are actually announcing their new stuff in 2hrs via: Roland CONNECT 2014

Wonder if they'll leave anything in mystery for namm.

Well then, to see the news sooner than I thought I guess.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Their new line of analogue synths I think someone has posted this each NAMM year . correct ? Would be cool if they do .
Old 15th January 2014
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Their new line of analogue synths I think someone has posted this each NAMM year . correct ? Would be cool if they do .
maybe we should just accept that roland gave up on analog synths

so sad
Old 15th January 2014
Gear nut

Old 15th January 2014
Gear Head
#rolandconnect

20 minutes away!

Old 15th January 2014
Gear nut

808 stuff huh...
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

I just looked and in the synth section there's only a workstation and a digital piano - was this there like, 4 hrs ago and nothing has yet been announced or is that it?
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narf View Post
808 stuff huh...
Click on the Aira logo.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Click on the Aira logo.
Aira logo ? where is it ?
Old 15th January 2014
Gear nut

towards the bottom, it took me a while to realize it was anything also...

the video is pretty vague anyway, but at least we know something cooler is coming haha.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Old 15th January 2014
Gear Head

An aria (Italian for air; plural: arie, or arias in common usage, diminutive form arietta) in music was originally any expressive melody, usually, but not always, performed by a singer. The term became used almost exclusively to describe a self-contained piece for one voice, with or without orchestral accompaniment, normally part of a larger work. The typical context for arias is opera, but vocal arias also feature in oratorios and cantatas, sharing features of the operatic arias of their periods.
wiki
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Head

and this

The term 'aria' was frequently used in the 17th and 18th centuries for instrumental music used for dancing or variation, and modelled on vocal music.[19] For example, J. S. Bach's so-called "Goldberg Variations" were titled at their 1741 publication "Clavier Ubung bestehend in einer ARIA mit verschiedenen Verænderungen" ("Keyboard exercise, consisting of an ARIA with diverse variations.")

The word is sometimes used in contemporary music as a title for instrumental pieces, e.g. Robin Holloway's 1980 'Aria' for chamber ensemble.[20]
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Aira wow

I already got a big smile on my face

Ordering one right now.

Cheers
Old 15th January 2014
Gear nut

hmmm
Attached Thumbnails
Namm 2014: Roland-img_detail003.jpg   Namm 2014: Roland-img_thumbnail003.png  
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Same boring Roland stuff. They were so exciting...what happened then?
AIRA (nor Aria) looks promising, (hope so) but let's wait and see. In the video you see they're modeling not only 808, but also 909, 303. SH101. Don't know. If they model an 808, we already have plenty of it. If they make a machine that reproduce the whole of them, then I'm starting to believe in Roland again.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

There's enough tinker toy drum sounds out there to last a lifetime...sure hope popular music can move on from this cliche stuff before year 3000
Old 17th January 2014
Gear addict

No more leaks or speculation on the other two Aira modules?

I like the look, very Tron... The mint green lights are nice with the black brushed steel.

I hope they have something killer musical though (or a sequencer! I'd love a decent sequencer for my set up) a drum machine and voice transformer are really sideline pieces in a way, I'm hoping they have something with more impact.

And lots of knobs!

Am I crazy or would something like the SH-101 not be totally out of line for this line up?
Old 17th January 2014
Gear interested

Aira - not Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksitter View Post
An aria (Italian for air; plural: arie, or arias in common usage, diminutive form arietta) in music was originally any expressive melody, usually, but not always, performed by a singer. The term became used almost exclusively to describe a self-contained piece for one voice, with or without orchestral accompaniment, normally part of a larger work. The typical context for arias is opera, but vocal arias also feature in oratorios and cantatas, sharing features of the operatic arias of their periods.
wiki
But its nothing to do with 'Aria's' - its spelt 'Aira' - as in 'Air A'... its a TR-808 update. Will wait until I see a full review, but at this point, i'd prefer to get the Korg Volcas.
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I crazy or would something like the SH-101 not be totally out of line for this line up?
The way I see it is that Roland have 4 modules/products to announce and I think it is a complete package for live performance.

I think they have consulted modern DJ/ Groove production people and come up with the

Aira which is a digital drum machine sequencer/ rhythm arranger

Roland VT-1 the vocal performer

Surely a killer tb -303 bassline module

and lastly a 101 style synth like a mini GAIA.

All of these will sit nicely side by side and midi linkable.

They have already said prices will be low so it wouldn't be out of the realm for
a package around a grand.

Quote:
I like the look, very Tron... The mint green lights are nice with the black brushed steel.
I'm digging the look as well.

Sweetwater already have my order for anything Roland.

Personally I couldn't care anymore for analogue/ digital in instruments.

Roland have a winner on their hands with this lot.

Cheers
Old 17th January 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
They have already said prices will be low so it wouldn't be out of the realm for
a package around a grand.
I think it'll be more than that, I can't see these modules already released going for less than $300,

especially if it's a bass 303 or keys 101 type thing, then I'd be thinking $500 each.

So $1600 for the lot.... $2000 if you're outside us/uk/japan like me.

It'll be Roland's idea of cheap. And this gear doesn't look as throwaway as the volcas which were under $200 each around the world.

We'll see I hope you're right about a 303/101 combo. Because the FA06/08 don't float my boat at all and I'm sure they cost a fortune.
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Heres my guess at what Roland will release:

1. A digital piano with the SAME old tired sounds from 10 years ago
2. A synth workstation with those same tired sounds from 10 years ago
3. A rehash of an OLD drum machine from years ago

Total= Absolutely NOTHING new
Old 19th January 2014
Seriously, what the hell is Roland even doing? Every year it's the same thing. Another digital synth/workstation/stage keyboard. Another toy. Another other toy. Korg has been on the ball for the past three years, since the Monotron, and with the MS20mini and the Volcas they are continuing to knock it out of the park. People want two things from Roland: a true to form, analog 808 reissue and a true to form, analog Jupiter or Juno. Roland really has to show they have any game at all. Everything they have released in the past three years has been yawn after yawn.
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
8 AIRAs?...

AIRA | Roland
The first video is about the TR-808, not a specific Aira model.

4 videos about the classics, 4 about the new boxes?
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

Would like to see a semi weighted A-88 controller with Polyphonic Aftertouch
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Head

The Roland RD 800 was announced last week. I am not sure if it's replacing the RD 700NX but it looks amazing! And I am not sure why it is $200 below the RD700? Anyone know?

I am not complaining that it is but are there some features that are not included in the RD800 that are in the RD700NX?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search