Login / Register

Anything like the LFO designer on the Octatrack in HW or SW?
New Reply
Subscribe
dogma
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Anything like the LFO designer on the Octatrack in HW or SW?

The LFO designer is a deceptively simple but stunningly useful tool. Ive seen some lemur templates that do something similar but nothing else really - hence the thread. I would love to use something like that external and separate to the OT (if I dont want to use it for a particular part, overseas without it, ect)
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

What makes this "LFO Designer" on the Octatrack special? I am not familiar with it.
dogma
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

This is not directly related, but I thought I'd bring it up-

The Oberheim Matrix 12 or Xpander can be setup to make custom LFO waveforms by sending an upsaw through its tracking generator, which is then routed to the parameter ultimately being modulated.

The shape set up in the tracking generator becomes the LFO wave shape. Not the highest resolution in the world, but a very useful trick I just thought I'd mention.
dogma
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Oh your kidding? Xpander is my ultimate synth but I just cant bring myself to part (nor can I afford) the $3000-$4000 that they are currently going for. Well that makes me feel better as Im aslo getting an A4 as I think its the modern Xpander. This is great news! See I told you it was an amazing feature - and shows how far ahead of the curve Oberheim were.
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Xfer LFO Tool, Cable Guys Volume Shaper, AraldFX Storm Gate? (last one is a bit old now)
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Gear addict

MPC4000 step sequencer although the rate would be limited to 64th notes and its tied to the sequencer

Spectralis, P3/cyclone and the likes of analog step sequencers can have their step lines take the role of LFO┬┤s with rates up to 192th notes (spectralis) but these do not trigger on note on basis but have independent clocks/resolution from the main sequence and irregular timing is also possible..

Yamaha A4000 and 5000 samplers can do this though.. design the LFO freely if I remember correctly ..

a brilliant feature to have ..
31st December 2013
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Don't forget the Silent Way LFO/Step LFO. While the Step LFO isn't as open ended, it's still really flexible. He's added some options to it recently, like the random shift register menu. Some kind of LFO designer is something that some people have lobbied Os for, though.

Combining some of the other SW plugs could definitely be interesting, like the follower, quantizer, function, etc.
31st December 2013
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Another one on the software side is Absynth. It has fully customizable envelopes which can be set to loop, creating a form of custom LFO waves.

And ofcourse software life Max MSP and Reaktor can be set up to do this, but that involves another level of effort.
31st December 2013
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post
Another one on the software side is Absynth. It has fully customizable envelopes which can be set to loop, creating a form of custom LFO waves.
well, there's a large number of softsynths that use MSEGs like this (Zebra, Massive, etc, etc).

Cableguys 'MIDIshaper', Xfer's 'LFO Tool', etc

Ableton Live's 'clip envelopes' can be used in a similar fashion.

do you want this in hardware?

the Nord Modular G2 is perfect for this, though might take a bit of work to "slide/ramp" between step settings like on the OT.
31st December 2013
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

I've forget about silent way (after obsessing about it I really got to lay off the cough medicine
Silent way is perfect! Doh - the step sequencer lfos are awesome and as I'm starting a little modular rack and buying pieces when I need them this is the perfect solution for where I'm heading with my music.
He's bringing out a dedicated din/sync box expander for the e-3 and e-4 which are all seeing hardware updates as we speak so when those land in about a months time I'll have actually bought silent way so I'd already know the answer to the question I was asking.
I feel real lucky to have found silent way as it solves my supync problems with ableton entirely and the creative stuff like the cool lfo stuff and he's developing more and more as time goes by and it's free with the modules.
In software I've played with lfo tool and I like it but it lacks the "power" for the want of a better word.
I'm just waiting on bitwig which has modulation at its very roots.
31st December 2013
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
... In software I've played with lfo tool and I like it but it lacks the "power" for the want of a better word.
how so? as compared to the OT, or whatever else.
31st December 2013
Old 31st December 2013
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to ynohtna
The Yamaha Motifs have custom LFO shapes but, really, the most flexible are in software: the aforementioned Silent Way and - for those on OSX - Numerology.
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
how so? as compared to the OT, or whatever else.
I suppose it's more of an effect than a straight up lfo - as you have to sidechain it - well it's how it sounds to me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search