paranoid/fear of synths 'breaking'
teebeekid
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear addict

paranoid/fear of synths 'breaking'

So as I was playing my Virus KB just before I had a 'what if' thought. Earlier this year I purchased an access virus KB and moog little phatty mk2 off ebay used. I love both of them & enjoy every minute playing them! Recently though I keep getting these what if thoughts (what if something goes bad/breaks)! It's not like I can get a new one since it's not covered by any warranties.. I worked hard for those synths and don't want them breaking on me leaving me synthless! Plus that would be a huge waste of cash! anyway is there anything I can do to keep them in tip-top shape? I know the moog should be maintained more than the virus because it's analog. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

plug them into a surge protector, cover them when not in use and buy a decent case if you are ever going to take them out. that is really all you need to do to "maintain" them.

you own professional instruments and although they're not the most robust things ever as long as you don't do something stupid like spill your drink on them or knock over your stand, they should keep working for years to come.

be less neurotic.
teebeekid
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear addict

Thanks, yeah I think i'm being a little too neurotic lol
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear maniac

I understand your feelings. Try this: I own a red ALesis Andromeda bought in Virginia, a Waldorf Xtk in hungary, a minimoog Voyger sign edition in Minnesota and a JD800 from California :P. And I could not be able to try them in person since I live in Colombia in SOuth America. Thanks to internet and a lot of research on the sellers I was able to buy them. But it doesn´t stop there in the case of the Andromeda and the XTK, I made payments without receiving the synth so it all came to trust which in the case of my country and in most I guess people do not do in these days. But with my monthly incomes there was no way to pay for each one of them at once. I guess the best way was to show the guys in a way that I was a serious buyer that really loved synthesizers and music and I guess they believed it, because in their case for them it was easier to sell it with one payment and that´s it and well, in my case it all came down to just trust.

The other thing was the horror stories with the andromeda and bad units or how people said to me it was hard to find parts and with the jd800 the red glue problem etc.... Well I risked and bought them and as for now none of the synths have had problems and trust me if you take really good care about them and not think about problems they will last a lot. Now, if they break or something you can find the parts, even in andromeda, for example i searched and in these days on ebay a german guy was selling the voice card for andromeda and if you type jd 800 you can see most of the parts on ebay. So just sit and enjoy and if an accident happen look for the part and it will come to you anyday cheers

David
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think you should expend any energy worrying.

All the gear I currently own was manufactured between the late 80's and early 2000's - all purchased used and none has given me any problems to date.

Most modern synths are well built (electrically anyway) with modern and well understood manufacturing techniques. Sure, some cases/housings might be a bit more plasticky than others, some use cheaper buttons or knobs, but overall reliability of modern machines is much better than those built in the early days (vintage analog for example).

I say don't sweat it and enjoy your machines- as mentioned above, use a surge protector, and keep the dust off with a cover of come sort. Exercise the knobs and sliders regularly and enjoy what you have
teebeekid
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear addict

Thanks alot guys! feel much better now!
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _seph View Post
plug them into a surge protector, cover them when not in use and buy a decent case if you are ever going to take them out.

be less neurotic.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

certain synths you should be neurotic about - namely modern surface mount tech stuff with 'known issues' (MS2000's dsp failure and JP-8000's motherboard prob spring to mind) - though there are not that many synths with known fault patterns and many have units that will last forever. You can fix the above but it'll cost you if you can't do it yourself and they're not as easy as old analog synths.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear addict

No need to worry - they will break eventually. Sometimes they can last for decades if you're lucky. Just start a habit of putting some money aside for the time when it happens. You will feel completely fine about it. They're just machines.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

If it breaks either get it repaired or sell it as spares.
If it doesn't brake & you are still not satisfied, drop it from a high window.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

I want an xpander bad but I'm not sure I could bring myself to pay the $3400 for a hybrid with that complexity - but I've always wanted one so bad. I'm buying an a4k which to my mind is the modern equivalent - if I found one for a real good price I'd snag it but for the premium people want for them I'd be too worried about problems that I wouldn't probably even know was a problem or that there are some unobtainium parts.....
I know that there is the same potential problems arising from any synth at any time it's that something as complex as an xpander worries me come repair time. With moogs and discrete stuff it's always going to be repairable - hybrids not so much
ozy
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
plug them into a surge protector, cover them when not in use and buy a decent case if you are ever going to take them out.
buy a decent insurance
and backup your patches and sequences on external hardware

a fire or flood hits, you buy them again and restore your setup, just lose some time and a couple nights' sleep (not ALL nights' sleep).

You know, they say the coward dies thousand times, the man of courage dies just once...

Quote:
be less neurotic.
yes, this also
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear maniac

There will always be units, vintage or new, that will be problematic because of various reasons. The risk that you will end up with a machine like that is not that big. Keep buying and have fun.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear nut

Only worry if you have a Blofeld, lol. I got one from eBay from a music store and it was suspiciously cheap. Ended up being one with the low volume/mono only output issue. Luckily it sounds like it is a simple resister that needs to be replaced but It has made me paranoid about committing much to the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
certain synths you should be neurotic about - namely modern surface mount tech stuff with 'known issues' (MS2000's dsp failure and JP-8000's motherboard prob spring to mind) - though there are not that many synths with known fault patterns and many have units that will last forever.
I have never heard of this. Exactly how common is it? This also worries me since my MS2000 was a graduation gift from my late father, so unfortunately it is more than a machine to me.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear Head

I can only concur that the absolute best thing you can do protect your synthesizers is to always use a surge protector. I once had a scare with my brand new Novation Kstation. At the time I was plugged directly into a wall outlet when the power flickered ever so slightly causing the wallwart adapter to pop and start smoking. I thought for sure I had fried my new kstation, but fortunately the wallwart took the hit before anything could happen. I will never plug directly into any wall outlet ever again.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerix01 View Post
Only worry if you have a Blofeld, lol. I got one from eBay from a music store and it was suspiciously cheap. Ended up being one with the low volume/mono only output issue. Luckily it sounds like it is a simple resister that needs to be replaced but It has made me paranoid about committing much to the unit.

I have never heard of this. Exactly how common is it? This also worries me since my MS2000 was a graduation gift from my late father, so unfortunately it is more than a machine to me.
I don't know for sure but have seen plenty around like it, it's obviously the minority still. Some anecdotal evidence points to it being heat related, left on in a hot room for hours on end.. poss combined with a dodgy power pack. If you google it you'll find results and advice on fixing it (the chip is £30? but it's SMT so very hard for a novice to repair themselves) - I think korg/service ship an entire mainboard due to that which costs a lot (more than a second hand MS2k probably).

Am sorry I set your mind racing, if you've had it years without problem then I guess it's ok!
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

I wouldn't worry about it most of its pretty reliable
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
I don't know for sure but have seen plenty around like it, it's obviously the minority still. Some anecdotal evidence points to it being heat related, left on in a hot room for hours on end.. poss combined with a dodgy power pack. If you google it you'll find results and advice on fixing it (the chip is £30? but it's SMT so very hard for a novice to repair themselves) - I think korg/service ship an entire mainboard due to that which costs a lot (more than a second hand MS2k probably).
Luckily I have a friend that can solder SMT chips and will be looking at my Blofeld. So If I do end up with an issue on the MS2K I should get away from it cheap. But like you said so far so good an this one is nearly 12 years old now.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

This does raise an interesting question: What happens in 50 years when none of this vintage hardware is working any more? Or at least the few remaining pieces are so astronomically expensive that only a few wealthy collectors will have them?

Will computing resources be so vast and synthesis models so accurate that no one will care? I'm not so sure that will be the result. I think we are hitting a point of diminishing returns with plugins. My lowly Nord Lead (which is almost 20 years old AND digital) still sounds better than the vast majority of synth plugins. So sound quality is clearly not just a function of computing power. Diva won't sound any better on a computer that is 10 times more powerful than what we have today.

So I fear that with the loss of these vintage synths, music will be worse off. I'll probably be dead. So it won't matter to me. LOL. But still...
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

clearly the solution is to only buy synths with discrete circuity, so you can always repair them!
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
clearly the solution is to only buy synths with discrete circuity, so you can always repair them!
I prefer to rather own a cs 80 and create glorious music with it rather than stop buying one of those because of it´s parts. Hey there is only one life to do things with style
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfuego View Post
I prefer to rather own a cs 80 and create glorious music with it rather than stop buying one of those because of it´s parts. Hey there is only one life to do things with style
Oh I'd prefer to own a cs-80 too, I wouldn't even mind the maintenance part so much. It's on my list of things to do, I'll probably own one eventually. That's despite the yamaha IC's on the voice boards! But they aren't too bad compared to modern synths, in terms of repair and parts. It's mostly just the amount of parts that makes them so daunting.
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Your problem is not your synths that might break, your problem is that you worry too much.
I bet that you don't have this with your synths only, but with a lot of things. Not that things might break but that you overthink and worry about a lot of stuff. (work, news, relationships, self-esteem, etc)

Problem with worrying is that it doesn't contribute to anything. You think you'll find solutions, like in this case for example use a dustcover, but then you'll think, what if my house burns down? What if a burglar steals them? What if ...? You will probably will always find a new reason to worry.
The problem with most "solutions" is that when something happens, it won't go down as you expected and you were not prepaired with your solution.

What you need to do when you worry is to ask yourself:
1) What is the problem? (in this case there is no problem, your synth isn't broken. So if there isn't a problem you tell yourself to stop worrying/thinking about it.)
2) What can I do to fix the problem? (If there is a problem you may spend 20% time "worrying" and 80% working on the solution. And when it's resolved, you let it go and stop thinking about it. When there is a problem but there isn't a solution, you also let it go. Worrying about it won't change things, won't come up with a solution because there is none.)

Problem with overthinking and worrying is that you do not live in the present. You are concerned about something that happened in the past or you are thinking of something that might happen in the future. You are not living and enjoying the present and there is really no need to do so.

Never thought I would give a lesson in psychology on GS :D
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
True longevity is not having a synth that still works after 40 years, it's people listening to or humming your songs after 40 years.
ozy
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Talk View Post
Your problem is not your synths that might break, your problem is that you worry too much.
seriously, TeeBeeKid, think about this.

Try staying away from your gear a week, get some rest, then get back to the studio a restart everything and enjoy.

The problem is not with the gear.
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Most modern gear is pretty bulletproof
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Everything breaks down eventually, given time and/or use.
ozy
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Everything breaks down eventually, given time and/or use.
yes, we are not immortal either.

Carpe diem is the solution to most of the above
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search