Subscribe
getmethough
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear addict

UK buying from Germany...tax?

Hi guys

I live in the uk, was looking to buy a Sherman filterbank 2

Thomann.de looks like it has the best price, but am I going to get bitten with import tax or anything like that?

1st time buying abroad excuse my ignorance

Thanks in advance
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear interested

I've never got hit with any tax ordering from them in Ireland, pretty sure it's the same throughout the EU
DSK
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
DSK
Lives for gear

I don't think there is any import tax (quite positive actually) because UK is in a EU trade agreement. Maybe some UK sluts can 100% confirm this.
For example I buy pretty often from the UK and other EU countries and pay no import tax.

You will pay German VAT though (which is included in the Thomann price BTW), unless you have a company that signed the IC (Intra Community).
In this example as long as you keep the Sherman for your company you will never have to pay VAT to anyone as that is for end users.

I for one buy mostly without VAT as I am using the HW and SW as tools inside my company and until I resell them VAT is not involved.

Going forward with the off topic the VAT tax is for the services I offer not for the gear. (I.E. someone commissions me a scoring for a video and I have calculate 24% of that towards VAT when offering a price to the end user as that will go to the state).

Hope it helps!
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

That's one of the good thing about the EU. No import tax.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Just don't forget that some European countries like Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are not members of the European Union Customs Union, and then import taxes suddenly apply.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear addict

I bought a guitar and amp last month at Thomann.de and I'm in the UK. It's a great place with more interesting items than at many UK retailers and the prices are often better too. Highly recommended and of course no tax within the EU.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Gear maniac

nah no import tax. bought a microbrute last month from them. arrived super quick too.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
Just don't forget that some European countries like Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are not members of the European Union Customs Union, and then import taxes suddenly apply.
I have always wondered, how much is import tax on musical instruments in Norway?

Do you have to add VAT as well?

And wouldn't the EU VAT be deducted from the original sale price, since the goods are being exported outside the EU?

Gear list
Synth sounds

...Marimba trills!
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Musical instruments shipped from the EU to Norway are to be sold without VAT, then the full 25% Norwegian VAT is added on import, plus typically a fee of around 250NOK. The only exceptions are packages with a value below 200NOK, which are toll-free.
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Musical instruments shipped from the EU to Norway are to be sold without VAT, then the full 25% Norwegian VAT is added on import, plus typically a fee of around 250NOK. The only exceptions are packages with a value below 200NOK, which are toll-free.
Thx

Sounds fair enough, so basically you seem to pay more or less the same as we do (25% VAT here as well) with an added fee of 250 Kr.

That fee is not a percentage as such?
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

No, that fee is not a percentage, but there are different types of fees for different types of goods (electronics/hardware/software vs. alcohol/tobacco/food...)
29th December 2013
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, that fee is not a percentage, but there are different types of fees for different types of goods (electronics/hardware/software vs. alcohol/tobacco/food...)
Thx again
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Sound Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomann
Delivery to the UK costs 10 € (approx. £7), however any order over 199 € (approx. £160) includes free shipping to mainland UK. All prices on this website include 20% VAT.
If you're running a company it's also possible to get the VAT back
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Norway might be a "European country" but it is not a member of the European Union. Thus not part of the "Single European Market". Britain (still ) is.
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Attached Thumbnails
UK buying from Germany...tax?-memberstatesofeu.jpg  
getmethough
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Gear addict

amazing thanks for all the answers, pulled the trigger on a filterbank 2
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search