New Reply
Subscribe
muziksculp
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Any Nord Lead 4 Users Here ?

Hi,

I recently got my Nord Lead 4 (Desktop) , and love the way it sounds, I'm still discovering all the new features, and learning how to program it.

It would be cool to hear some feedback from other NL4 users.

Let's discuss : How do you like it so far ? Programming the new features, Tips ... etc ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Gear maniac

It's a great synth. Amazing sound. Want one.

One way I measure a synth's quality is to see how 'real' a programmed piano preset sounds. The Nord 4 has a very nice emulation of this. Of course I never buy a synth for making piano sounds, but I believe it's a great measure of its quality. Anyways, extremely envious of you!
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Gear maniac

I've had mine a couple of months (keyboard).I've had many synths over 30 plus years.I've also got a nord wave.I really like the lead 4.Very simple and very tactile like all nords and most of all sounds great.. to my ears.Really like the morph buttons and you don't need a manual.I originally had issues with no patch naming when this was first shown but in use this is not so bad.Not claiming that this is the best synth ever built but for me definitely one of my favorites
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've been very impressed with demos I've heard. I want a Lead 4 rack and Roland Integra 7, but I'm nut sure which to get first. Something's telling me Lead 4 first and let Kontact do Rompler duties till I get funds up for the Integra. Then there's the Prophet 12 rack that was just announced hopefully that's still a-ways out, all this wanting is stressing me out, lol.
muziksculp
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi,

I hope I didn't induce a lot of GAS by posting this

I will post some feedback on my experience with the NL4 (desktop), and maybe some audio demos.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Hi,

I hope I didn't induce a lot of GAS by posting this
You did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
I will post some feedback on my experience with the NL4 (desktop), and maybe some audio demos.
Please do!
muziksculp
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Brento,

Sorry for inducing some serious GAS

I will post some feedback and audio of the NL4 in the near future. Although that's going to produce more GAS

Cheers,
Muziksculp
muziksculp
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

I had higher hopes for the Prophet 12 module, but after seeing its prototype, the NL4R is looking much more enticing.
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have owned the 1, 2X, G2X, and Electro 2. Nord is a great, wonderfully pricey company. Just bitter for I would take a 4 in a second.
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
I've been very impressed with demos I've heard. I want a Lead 4 rack and Roland Integra 7, but I'm nut sure which to get first. Something's telling me Lead 4 first and let Kontact do Rompler duties till I get funds up for the Integra. Then there's the Prophet 12 rack that was just announced hopefully that's still a-ways out, all this wanting is stressing me out, lol.
I think you should get neither. Seems to me you're talking about getting the Integra-7, and the NL4 and perhaps the P12 desktop - and you're only asking yourself in what order. If you have money for all those, may i suggest a different alternative?
For the Integra-7 i say "settle" for a beefed up kontakt. I recently upgraded to komplete 9 ultimate. I have also sat for three hours in a store with the Integra-7. While i think it sounded very good, i can say that kontakt does the job. Specially if all you do is for studio work and not live.
If you have money for two or three of these synths (NL4, Integra-7 and P12) i think you should add that money and get the SE Omega-8 instead, for a poly synth.
If it's the digital domain you want - than perhaps it's better for you to go big for something like the Bowen Solaris.
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I think you should get neither. Seems to me you're talking about getting the Integra-7, and the NL4 and perhaps the P12 desktop - and you're only asking yourself in what order. If you have money for all those, may i suggest a different alternative?
For the Integra-7 i say "settle" for a beefed up kontakt. I recently upgraded to komplete 9 ultimate. I have also sat for three hours in a store with the Integra-7. While i think it sounded very good, i can say that kontakt does the job. Specially if all you do is for studio work and not live.
If you have money for two or three of these synths (NL4, Integra-7 and P12) i think you should add that money and get the SE Omega-8 instead, for a poly synth.
If it's the digital domain you want - than perhaps it's better for you to go big for something like the Bowen Solaris.
The Omega/Code has crossed my mind more than once. Especially if I sell my Voyager RME it's even closer to a reality.
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Gear addict

How're the wavetables and formant capabilities of this synth? Anyone care to post some demos? These were the major new features to the NL series and I haven't seen anyone talking about them or seen many demos that feature them...
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

liked the nl4, mess with it every time i go the store,,, a lot,,,

it sounds really good, but i wouldnt buy it.

for a similar, maybe lower than the rack you can get a nord g2, has much more to it,,, seems like they add a few things to the lead, things that have been in the g2 since 10 years ago,,,, effects n stuff,,, not the wavetables.,,, besides, still cant do 6 op fm or use the crazy patch mutator. cant make patches with 8 oscs and 7 filters being modulated by 10 lfos either,,, those are great.
27th October 2013
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

27th October 2013
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Can we get some demos??? This thing has been out for a while, I can only find about 5 demos. It's the same demos I already heard months ago on NL's soundcloud page. They sound good on there, but I wanna hear what the amateurs are doing with it.
28th October 2013
Old 28th October 2013
Gear maniac

I have one for about 6 or 7 weeks now and i love it. Never before i was programming so many new presets, this interface really makes you more creative or you just need less time to go where you want.

The only thing that i don't like is that you can't use delay and reverb at the same time. But filters, effects and oscilators with wavetables makes it great tool to produce sounds.

I use it along with Virus Ti and these two beasts sound great together
muziksculp
28th October 2013
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
I have one for about 6 or 7 weeks now and i love it. Never before i was programming so many new presets, this interface really makes you more creative or you just need less time to go where you want.

The only thing that i don't like is that you can't use delay and reverb at the same time. But filters, effects and oscilators with wavetables makes it great tool to produce sounds.

I use it along with Virus Ti and these two beasts sound great together
Yes, it would have been cool if you could use both reverb, and delay at the same time. I also think the Reverb is good quality wise, but it could have been much better. imho the Virus Ti has much better Reverb than the NL4.
28th October 2013
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would love to see how it compares to the P12.
28th October 2013
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

I hope, once I receive it, that it curbs my desire for a P12. If the recently revealed P12 module would've had more knobs it would've been a much tougher decision between it and the Nord 4 rack.
29th October 2013
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

It should or you are just spoiled for it looks like a beast.
29th October 2013
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd love to hear from any Nord Lead 4 owners who previously owned (or still do) a Nord Lead 2. Of course the 4 can do many things the 2 can't (digital waveforms, effects, etc.) but I'm most curious to hear how the raw VA engine compares, especially in terms of oscillator and filter quality.

I had a Nord Rack 2X for a couple years and it was a workhouse -- easy to program and good for whipping up bread and butter synth parts -- but over time, I recognized that the raw VA sound quality was nothing special. That's not to say it's a bad synth, but it just didn't offer anything special that made me want to hang onto it, so I sold it with no regrets.

How does the Nord Lead 4 sound in comparison?
29th October 2013
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
I've had mine a couple of months (keyboard).I've had many synths over 30 plus years.I've also got a nord wave.I really like the lead 4.Very simple and very tactile like all nords and most of all sounds great.. to my ears.Really like the morph buttons and you don't need a manual.I originally had issues with no patch naming when this was first shown but in use this is not so bad.Not claiming that this is the best synth ever built but for me definitely one of my favorites
How is the overlap in sound between the nl4 and the wave? I have a wave and I`m really interested in the nl4.
29th October 2013
Old 29th October 2013
Gear maniac

@muziksculp

Are the oscillators free running like the other Leads or can you re-trigger them?
6th November 2013
Old 6th November 2013
Gear interested

So, a week has gone since the last post. Any new Lead owners/opinions? Any audio demos coming our way?
13th November 2013
Old 13th November 2013
Gear maniac

Nobody?
13th November 2013
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

I too would like to know how the Nord Lead 4 compares to the original Nord 1/2 series in terms of sound. Anyone have both?

As an aside, I bought the Nord 3 when it came out thinking that it would be a better Nord Lead - just more of everything. But the Nord 3 is really a completely different synth that sounds very different from the original Nord Lead (not necessarily better or worse - just very different). I'm wondering if it's the same thing with the Nord 4.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search