Your favourite budget analog delay for synths
New Reply
Subscribe
MarkR
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Your favourite budget analog delay for synths

I've been meaning to get an analogue delay for way too long but could never really decide what I thought would be best for me, of course a Moog delay would be great, but they're just a bit too expensive, especially as I'd like to get two for stereo. I want to try out a Rockman stereo chorus/delay, but they seem to be pretty hard to find.

Now the minifoogers are on the table I reckon I might go for that delay as it's much more reasonably priced.

However, in the meantime, I'm sort of tempted by the handful of ridiculously cheap analog delays that are out there. I've heard some people really like the Behringer VD400, and others the Belcat, both around 20 pounds new.

Anyone use these or have any to recommend? Specifically the super low budget ones, I'm aware of memory boys and the carbon copy etc. I know they might be pretty crusty but that's cool, I just don't want to be spending 50-100 pounds on something I may or may not like, for 20 pounds there's nothing to complain about!
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

My other competitor for delay like that would be the Malekko red delay pedal. Sounds great and cheap.

For the Cadillac model with everything is go Strymon.

Still gassing for the MF-104 myself...
MarkR
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

the Malekkos were my top choice before the minifoogers came along, however not really in the 20 pounds range of cheap.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Monotron Delay would be my choice at around 20.
I prefer the Behringer EM600 to the VD, cause the VD just sounds like a standard low end BBD, while the EM does far more, but offcourse not really analog.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Gear addict

Haven't used it, but lots of people like the Behringer VD400. For $25, seems worth picking up.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Missed the budget part...look up the Behringer. It gets high praise here.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

The Biyang ones are digital but sounds like analogue, they degrade on the repeats. The upside of them not being true BBD is you get 1100ms.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Line6 echo park.

Edit: sorry, not analog. Neither is monotron delay though.

Dod r880 maybe?

At 20 you take what you can get.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I like the rogue. Well I don't like it... It's ok. But I think I paid $16.
Prophet 08, Minibrute, MFB 522, ; RME UCX, Yamaha HS80M; DT770; PCR-800, Ableton Push; 3x MXL MCA SP-1 (modded), SM58, SM57; Ableton, Logic , Komplete 8 Ultimate; a lot of bass traps; a few pieces of cheap outboard.

https://soundcloud.com/pajama-bomb/11014-live-set-improv-lunch
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
..and the carbon copy etc. ..
I didn't care for the Carbon Copy, it's an oddball. The delays either sounded too prominent in comparison to the clean signal, or turned into mush, so I sold it pretty quickly.

As always: Make sure that the pedal can handle line-signals, unless you use a step-down converter. It's my impression that many cheap pedals can't handle the hot signal from a synth.

Hardware synths: Korg Polysix, Korg Lambda, Tom Oberheim SEM, Moog Minitaur, DSI Mopho
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Gear nut

For analog on budget I'd recommend the Behringer Vintage Time Machine. People buy it hoping it to be a Memory Man for 1/5 the price and then trash talk it because it doesn't live up to it. But if you buy it for what it is - a cheap analog delay with chorus/vibrato effect it's actually very nice. It beats the Behringer Vintage Delay IMHO.

EHX Memory Boy Deluxe is also very nice and pretty cheap.
MarkR
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljudterapi View Post
For analog on budget I'd recommend the Behringer Vintage Time Machine. People buy it hoping it to be a Memory Man for 1/5 the price and then trash talk it because it doesn't live up to it. But if you buy it for what it is - a cheap analog delay with chorus/vibrato effect it's actually very nice. It beats the Behringer Vintage Delay IMHO.

EHX Memory Boy Deluxe is also very nice and pretty cheap.
Yeah but if I'm going up to that kind of price I may as well just get something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
Monotron Delay would be my choice at around 20.
I prefer the Behringer EM600 to the VD, cause the VD just sounds like a standard low end BBD, while the EM does far more, but offcourse not really analog.
I don't care for digital hardware, especially cheap digital, can do all that with plugins
MarkR
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Missed the budget part...look up the Behringer. It gets high praise here.
Yeah I had already read up on it, then when I went to buy I found there were several others in the same price range that also got high praise, I think the Rogue and Belcat might be basically the same thing though. I guess I was wondering if anyone had tried both. Of course they're all going to be pretty bad, but I'm hopeful for bad... in a usable, good way...
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Geariophile

Quote:

I don't care for digital hardware, especially cheap digital, can do all that with plugins
That's arguably a little foolish as there are loads of warm sounding, cheap, digital rack delays out there which sound excellent and are cheap. And which sound like you will get NO plug to sound.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Gear interested

A used diamond memory lane 1 goes for about $250 which is a steal for a great sounding analog delay with eq, tap tempo and an effects loop. I love mine and prefer it to the moog (mainly because of the eq.)

For less than $150 you can pick up a used dod 680 which doesn't have any features but sounds ****ing badass.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

The Echo Shifter is BBD analog with up to 1 second of delay time, tap tempo, and controls that are made to be played like an instrument (moving that slider is gold). Plus its only $150. Sounds great. Self oscillation mode is trippy like you'd want. This thing was really made for synths. Run my ARPs and Waldorf through it all the time. I'm surprised people don't mention this one more.

And while its clearly trying to ripoff Moog, it looks pretty nice as well.
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
The Biyang ones are digital but sounds like analogue, they degrade on the repeats. The upside of them not being true BBD is you get 1100ms.
I have a Biyang that only goes up to 600ms. I think it could actually be analog. It sure sounds like it and feedbacks like analog too when set up to.
Sampler: E-MU ESI-2000
fx: Filter Queen, Ibanez FL9, Rat 2,Boss PH-1R, Chorus, Wah, DigiTech MSP4, DL3 Delay, Alesis 3630
Daws: Reason 6.5, Cubase Studio 5
Software: Tracks 3, PPG Wave 2.V, Attack, D-Pole, Chipsounds, Synth Maker

http://rogue-ai.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/rogue-ai/music-of-the-mind-of-the-soul
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you can stretch the budget the new Moog Minifooger.
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Does tape count? Korg SE500 is my favourite.
MarkR
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Classic GS thread, ''I have *this much* to spend'' = every suggestion is of things that cost 10-20x that. Thanks though, as I am looking for something more substantial too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
If you can stretch the budget the new Moog Minifooger.
Yes that's the plan, but not what I'm after this second as they're not out.
MarkR
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannycrackhorse View Post

The Echo Shifter is BBD analog with up to 1 second of delay time, tap tempo, and controls that are made to be played like an instrument (moving that slider is gold). Plus its only $150. Sounds great. Self oscillation mode is trippy like you'd want. This thing was really made for synths. Run my ARPs and Waldorf through it all the time. I'm surprised people don't mention this one more.

And while its clearly trying to ripoff Moog, it looks pretty nice as well.
I was considering this before, but I've heard there are a lot of faults with them, and can be unusably noisy. So I think I'd be going for the minifooger delay.

Sounds good though...

20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Gear addict

20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
I was considering this before, but I've heard there are a lot of faults with them, and can be unusably noisy. So I think I'd be going for the minifooger delay.

Sounds good though...
Hmmmmm mine has no issues and is the quietest analog delay I've used. I prefer it to the Maxon. Maybe other people got bad units.
bry
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
bry
Gear addict

The Ibanez Echo Shifter is great fun, but it's a very dirty sounding delay, I like it a lot, but not as my only analog delay.

The Behringer VD400 is an amazing great sounding analog delay. The construction is cheap, so it depends on how and where you're gonna use it, but for studio/home use with synths I think you'll be fine. I usually don't like buying Behringer clones, but seriously, every boutique pedal maker is cloning the same analog delay circuit and selling it for 10x the price of a Behringer delay.

If you want more features though, like trails, tap tempo, etc, check out Dunlop's Way Huge Supa Puss, costs about the same as a minifooger but comes with many more features, I haven't compared both though...
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Yeah but if I'm going up to that kind of price I may as well just get something better.
The Memory Boy Deluxe is dead cheap considering what you get for your money. Power supply included.

The Behringer....well, you won't find something better for that price.
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Geariophile

Strange new world where someone even has the notion that 20 pounds should net them a tool worth using. Feel old.
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Gear addict

MarkR
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've A/Bed a fair amount of digital hardware vs plugins, I can never find a clear winner no matter how much I want to be a GS and keep the hardware, so digital hardware is not for me, I don't play live so it'd just be a waste of money for my ears. What am I missing, are the 1s and 0s just so much more 3D in hardware, it couldn't possible be recreated ITB. You can always send plugins out through some analogue gear to get that 'something' digital hardware might have picked up along the way into the box.
MarkR
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
The Ibanez Echo Shifter is great fun, but it's a very dirty sounding delay, I like it a lot, but not as my only analog delay.

The Behringer VD400 is an amazing great sounding analog delay. The construction is cheap, so it depends on how and where you're gonna use it, but for studio/home use with synths I think you'll be fine. I usually don't like buying Behringer clones, but seriously, every boutique pedal maker is cloning the same analog delay circuit and selling it for 10x the price of a Behringer delay.

If you want more features though, like trails, tap tempo, etc, check out Dunlop's Way Huge Supa Puss, costs about the same as a minifooger but comes with many more features, I haven't compared both though...
Yeah that's what I heard about the behringer, and the general cloning nowadays, just wanted something to play around with that wasn't a waste of money (from the fact that is costs next to nothing), in the hopes it could be pretty useable in some way as people seem to say it sounds pretty great. Maybe I'll sell it on soon enough when I get another.

I think generally I'm after the Koma Delay and a Minifooger for more regular delays, but I'll try to try out some of those thanks.
bry
20th October 2013
Old 20th October 2013
bry
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Strange new world where someone even has the notion that 20 pounds should net them a tool worth using.
Strange world where 20 pounds can actually get you a tool worth using.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search