Yamaha AN1X synth layer problem
commodore
15th October 2013
Old 15th October 2013
Gear interested

Yamaha AN1X synth layer problem

I just purchased a AN1X - it is amazing so far, except for one little issue...

When layer is set to "SINGLE" mode, I can play about 9 notes, then the 10th note does nothing - it's just silent. I'm playing them one by one, not all at the same time. I can even play the same key and count, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, --- nothing. Then it starts over again.

I couldn't find enough info in the manual to determine if this is normal or not.

When I set the layer mode to anything else, it works as specified in the manual - normal.

Maybe there is a global setting I am missing? Or maybe I need to factory reset it? or maybe this synth is balls-up?

Help me gearslutz!
15th October 2013
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

It's not normal.

Other than taking it to be repaired I have no ideas for you.
15th October 2013
Old 15th October 2013
Gear nut

I assume it doesn't matter which notes you play, just the 10th never works?

Does it do that with every patch or select patches, even just one patch?
commodore
15th October 2013
Old 15th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijuro View Post
I assume it doesn't matter which notes you play, just the 10th never works?

Does it do that with every patch or select patches, even just one patch?
Correct, it could be a melody or just the same note, its always the 10th that is silent. Even arpeggiated, I can tell it cuts out the note.

Every patch I tested set to SINGLE layer mode, they all do it. When I change the patch to Unision, or anything other than single mode, it works great.
commodore
15th October 2013
Old 15th October 2013
Gear interested

Would a factory reset help?
22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
Would a factory reset help?
I suppose it can't hurt to try.
22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just purchased a AN1X - it is amazing so far, except for one little issue...

When layer is set to "SINGLE" mode, I can play about 9 notes, then the 10th note does nothing - it's just silent. I'm playing them one by one, not all at the same time. I can even play the same key and count, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, --- nothing. Then it starts over again.

I couldn't find enough info in the manual to determine if this is normal or not.

When I set the layer mode to anything else, it works as specified in the manual - normal.

Maybe there is a global setting I am missing? Or maybe I need to factory reset it? or maybe this synth is balls-up?

Help me gearslutz!
So what's the result? Can you let us know so the thread doesn't die a pointless death and populate the internet as something useless.
22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Factory reset. AN1x is a DSP-based synth so it's almost certainly a software problem.
22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear interested

Hat the same problem with my old an1x, except this happened every 5th note. Nothing helped, not even a factory reset. I finally solved the problem by opening up the machine and checking all cables inside. Nothing was loose but i reconnected everything nonetheless. Afterwards all was fine.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

My Juno had the same problem in notes 2 and 6, and it was of course the voice chips...it must be the virtual equivalent.
It's worth fixing, those are fun synths.
commodore
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Gear interested

Sorry for the long delay in the "solution." There really wasn't one. I ended up returning the synth to the ebay seller. I didn't want to investigate any further in any fixes. I did try factory resetting it and that never helped.

The seller ended up reselling it, saying he brought it to a technician and everything was normal. So who knows, maybe he was lying or I was doing something wrong (I wasn't)

Just read what Randi said. That's odd as hell. haha. Maybe it got bumped in shipping to my house.
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear
Maybe it would have been worth testing it via another MIDI keyboard. Probably not scanning the keyboard properly.
commodore
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Maybe it would have been worth testing it via another MIDI keyboard. Probably not scanning the keyboard properly.
I did have it hooked up to my DAW, and the problem was still happening when sending it notes.
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I did have it hooked up to my DAW, and the problem was still happening when sending it notes.
Very odd. Yamaha stuff is usually well-built and reliable but the AN1X is on the plasticky side.
27th February 2014
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Where's evil dragon when you need him
27th February 2014
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

I'm here. But not sure how to help with this issue - I have all 10 voices on my AN1x.
27th February 2014
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm here. But not sure how to help with this issue - I have all 10 voices on my AN1x.
You've been raving about it so much I picked one up.
27th February 2014
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Good for you!
27th February 2014
Old 27th February 2014
Gear maniac

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search