New Reply
Subscribe
wbonx
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Head

First gear. Voyager or Sub Phatty + polysynth for producing and jamming

Hi to every one, I'm new to the forum.
I'm in the synth world since one year and I feel it is time to make the big step.

My experience is based on the use of a lot of VST (arturia above all) and I borrowed from a friend a minibrute for approx a month.

I'm interested in producing triphop like music, massive attack, portishead, but I like also apparat, aphex twin and kilimanjaro darkjazz kind of stuff.
I like also getting lost in Berlin school like improvisations and jamming with friends or in front of small group of people.

What I understood is that for production, I'm quite fast using VST but the quality of sound is different or lower on the average. In particular I think I could emulate polysynth (brass sounds) or leads but for thick basses an analog real synth is advisable. (for sure knobs make the life easier)

At the same time I would like to improve my playing skills and to learn better how to improvise, to do that I understood I need a real synth (I also don't want to spend all my time in front of a comp). Having an instrument I can bring to the garage of a friend is also nice.

I focused on searching for a good monosynth, my experience with the minibrute was good, but after some time you feel you need more then a mono oscillator and mono LFO and the multimode filter is interesting but average.

Thus I focused my attention on a minimoog voyager I found at 1900euro used (electric blue, 1 year old) and in finding a sub phatty 800 euro (3 months old).

My first question is, shall I spend so much on a voyager since I don't have much experience? But maybe I would learn much more then playing a sub phatty, with its smaller keyboard, only one LFO and less plugs for external modulation.
On the other hand if I buy a sub phatty I could spare money to buy a decent used polysynth, that would give me the chance to grow more and play pads maybe when doing bass/leads on the SP.

What I know for sure is that I need memory, I'm not interested in sampling synths. And I know I'm definitely not interested in doing minimal, trance, techno and so on..
I want to learn, improve my skills, learn how to modulate when playing, learn how to play with people and on stage, but I don't want to loose the chance to have an instrument with a larger variety of sound. I need also to produce and have gears that will help producing.
Do you think it is true that 70% of the sounds that a voyager can produce can be reproduced with a SP?
Which one could be a good polysynth to buy together with a SP if I don't buy the voyager?

Thanks guys!
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbonx View Post
What I know for sure is that I need memory, I'm not interested in sampling synths. And I know I'm definitely not interested in doing minimal, trance, techno and so on..
I want to learn, improve my skills, learn how to modulate when playing, learn how to play with people and on stage, but I don't want to loose the chance to have an instrument with a larger variety of sound. I need also to produce and have gears that will help producing.
Do you think it is true that 70% of the sounds that a voyager can produce can be reproduced with a SP?
Which one could be a good polysynth to buy together with a SP if I don't buy the voyager?

Thanks guys!
You answered your own questions. With this all said memory is limited on the Sub Phatty. Monophonic synths like the Sub and Voyager are great but a nice poly can do a lot not to forget monophonic too when needed.

Also "don't want to loose the chance to have an instrument with a larger variety of sound" so with that said I would not go for any of those mentioned.

I would recommend a VA (a knobby one). I would say spend the money on a Virus or something similar unless you're hellbent on an analog. So much sound creation and learning can be done from a Virus, Yamaha AN1x, JP8000, Alesis Ion, Nord Lead x2, 3 and so on.
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Again here's the search list of "first hardware synth" these should help too. (this will just be my default answer now on for people who have less than 10 posts and ask "which synth should I buy") :P Consider it a draven sticky.

2 week ago
Which synth to buy?

4 weeks ago
Selling a Voyager to buy what?

Need help figuring out which synth to get

Techno & Tech-House: Going to buy analogue synth, but which synth?

Can't come to any descision over what 1st synth to get, GOING MAD!!!!

Looking for analog synths and wondering how to determine a "good price"

Help me buy an analog synth gear fam.

Need help choosing my next affordable vintage poly synth

Looking For A New Synth

First Synth - Which one?

Help deciding between four synths (Juno, Ion, JP8000, MS2000)

Help my decide on an analog polysynth

Synth ? Beginner... Hard choices

Basic Set to get me started, ADVICE please!!

Deciding Which Synth To Buy

The best synth keyboard to buy?!?!?

I'm thinking of buying my first synth

New synths for studio - suggestions

Looking for tweaky synth, which of these you think?

What to buy next?

Help Synth

Help buying a new synth? :)

Help Buying First Virtual Analog Synthesizer?

A fun inquiry: Would you sell Juno60 for 3 cheaper, but good synths?

First hardware synth recommendations

'THE' best 80s synth to have

Looking for perfect Synth for me. Please HELP

What shall I buy?! (GS initiation!)

Gear opinions First Big Buy!

Having trouble picking a nice hardware synth - Vintage vs. New

To buy another VA or not...?
wbonx
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
I would recommend a VA (a knobby one). I would say spend the money on a Virus or something similar unless you're hellbent on an analog. So much sound creation and learning can be done from a Virus, Yamaha AN1x, JP8000, Alesis Ion, Nord Lead x2, 3 and so on.
Hi Draven,

Thanks for the answer.
Memory even small is not a problem.
I read most of the posts you mentioned, but no one of them gave me an answer, since I have different prerequisites.

At the end the question is: to learn and have fun, for live music and producing is better getting a Voyager or a SP + digital polysynth? (the virus quality of the sound is not awesome and a lot of people use it for techno/acid stuff.. don't know). :/

In terms of analog vs digital I kind of made my choice. For good leads/basses I think I want an analog. For poly digital seems to be my only choice cause of the budget. But then I forget the voyager and need to find something around 700/800e.
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I love the voyager but wouldn't recommend such an expensive synth when you can get so much more especially when you are figuring out what you need.

You can find poly analogs too though if you need. There are plenty of lower price analog monophonic and polys. I think the voyager in your budget will limit you.
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
At the end the question is: to learn and have fun, for live music and producing is better getting a Voyager or a SP + digital polysynth?
The latter.

Quote:
(the virus quality of the sound is not awesome
It is, but there's lots of choice in the VA world - so consider a Nord Rack 2 otherwise. Or a Novation Ultranova. Or an AN1x. The Virus is however lots of bang for the buck, and it can act as a great effects unit.

Quote:
and a lot of people use it for techno/acid stuff.. don't know). :/
And a lot of people use MPCs for hiphop. That doesn't make the MPC only suitable for hiphop.

The Virus does a wide range of sounds, for strings and organs it can compete with romplers in some cases.
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The latter.
It is, but there's lots of choice in the VA world - so consider a Nord Rack 2 otherwise. Or a Novation Ultranova. Or an AN1x. The Virus is however lots of bang for the buck, and it can act as a great effects unit.
... Ultranova and An1x don't look so appealing.
Apart from the virtual, virus and NR2, what could be a good poly to buy together with a SP?

I really thought it made more sense to have a rally good gear, that would permit to fully express yourself and that you can keep forever. This would be the voyager.

I'm really convinced that the tool you choose (your gear), will some how shape the way you will play in future. Buying a 2 octaves instrument with 2 osc, 1 lfo and few input/output could really break the learning curve or at least some how bend the way to permorm.
On the other end having a fully functional almost perfect instrument like the voyager would permit to express yourself with few limitations.
Truth is... I'm not sure if I will miss or not playing poly on an hardware instrument, but I will be so busy on a voyager that for the first year I'm not sure I will miss anything else.

Don't know, but I still think is an hard choice, sure is that 1800e is a lot of money for a first gear and I'm not a musician. But I have good hear and the sound of a virus even on youtube... mmmmm :/
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

This guy wbonx is just trying to piss me off. The Virus gives a lot for anyone producing electronic music.
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
... Ultranova and An1x don't look so appealing.
That's a hasty judgement, I think.
Quote:
Apart from the virtual, virus and NR2, what could be a good poly to buy together with a SP?
Anything with a character that contrasts sufficiently.
Quote:
I really thought it made more sense to have a rally good gear, that would permit to fully express yourself and that you can keep forever. This would be the voyager.
As a Voyager owner, a Sub Phatty does not limit you much. The advantage of an additional polysynth is bigger than the advantage of having a 3rd osc. The Voyager is great - luxurious build quality, blinkenlights, but I would not call it perfect.
Quote:
But I have good hear and the sound of a virus even on youtube... mmmmm :/
The experience of playing it yourself is completely different, and the videos show off a small slice of what it can do.
I've had almost all VAs - Q, Nova, Virus, JP8080, AN1x, Micromodular. The Virus lingered for the longest time and only had to go to fund the Minimoog.
wbonx
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
This guy wbonx is just trying to piss me off. The Virus gives a lot for anyone producing electronic music.
Hey man don't be pissed off
At the end of the day I'm a noob, my judgment has no value and is based on listening to some demos online.

Surely there is that feeling of working with a real electronic wave or not.... and the fact that given the processive power of modern computers the TI looks quite overpriced.. but this is probably true also for the old ones.

Anyway the idea behind the Virus is a great and I would love to try one.

That's the big problem today, it is really hard to buy without trying personally based only on opinions and demos online.

Thanks greenlight for your contribute.... what kind of music do you produce usually?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search