sending vsti to a preamp
New Reply
Subscribe
wagz
21st September 2006
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

sending vsti to a preamp

hey, I make electronic music and wanna beef up my vsti's.

I want to send them to my Portico or my Speck preamps. I am using an RME fireface.

Do i need some sort of D.I....or box to knock down the level...or can i just feed on of my outputs directly to the preamp?

how do you guys do this?
21st September 2006
Old 21st September 2006

I pad the outputs of the HOT fireface when going into preamps. (when going into preamps and machines that require +4 db at the same time)
that or I switch to the -10 db level for output on the driver control panel. (it's only possible to switch all of em at the same time, so that is why sometimes I use pads.)

yes it works fine.

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

1st November 2006
Old 1st November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post

I want to send them to my Portico or my Speck preamps. I am using an RME fireface.
SO what about the results ? real beef up achieved ?

Sergio
1st November 2006
Old 1st November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post

Do i need some sort of D.I....or box to knock down the level...or can i just feed on of my outputs directly to the preamp?

how do you guys do this?
Just plug the VSTi directly into the DI input on the Speck MP5.0

The DI input of the MP5.0 will accept either a balanced or unbalanced TRS plug and will handle up to +30dBu.

Facebook | Speck Electronics
wagz
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

yea , it definitely helps. I haven't gotten to try it enough to test it out extensively, though
7th November 2006
Old 7th November 2006
Gear maniac

I do this quite often. I use Nuendo for all my recording, but I also have a Mac and Logic. I use the electric piano included in Logic and run it through guitar effects and an amp, or straight in to an API mic pre for recording in to Logic.

You'll find that the best results come from moving air. You're not going to see a huge increase in girth from just running the VSTi in to a preamp, mainly because high-end preamps are generally noted for their lack of coloration. (That's what makes them high-end, after all.) A VSTi (especially one that is emulating an existing instrument) is generally on the thin side to begin with, and a Portico or Speck preamp isn't going to add anything that isn't already there, at least not noticeably. However, if you record the sound playing through a guitar amp, you'll get a _lot_ of coloration and it will add quite a bit to the sound.

Of course, the above depends heavily on your choice of guitar amp, mic, pedals, etc., and your recording method. But if you really want to get your VSTi to sound "real" that's really the only way to go. Without doing that, or at the very least running the sound through external analog comp and EQ, you're going to hear almost no difference in the before and after.
8th November 2006
Old 8th November 2006
Lives for gear

any experience running through the Chandler Germ pre with the thick button switched on ? ?
Any improved and noticed results ? (for bass and drums especially)

Sergio
8th November 2006
Old 8th November 2006
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

i was impressed when i did it running some atmosphere and trilogy olugis into a GML EQ and a manley tube comp. it sounded great.

just recorded the end result one by one and erased the old versions. except for paralel comp on a drum AUX.
8th November 2006
Old 8th November 2006
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall1 View Post
I do this quite often. I use Nuendo for all my recording, but I also have a Mac and Logic. I use the electric piano included in Logic and run it through guitar effects and an amp, or straight in to an API mic pre for recording in to Logic.

You'll find that the best results come from moving air. You're not going to see a huge increase in girth from just running the VSTi in to a preamp, mainly because high-end preamps are generally noted for their lack of coloration. (That's what makes them high-end, after all.) A VSTi (especially one that is emulating an existing instrument) is generally on the thin side to begin with, and a Portico or Speck preamp isn't going to add anything that isn't already there, at least not noticeably. However, if you record the sound playing through a guitar amp, you'll get a _lot_ of coloration and it will add quite a bit to the sound.

Of course, the above depends heavily on your choice of guitar amp, mic, pedals, etc., and your recording method. But if you really want to get your VSTi to sound "real" that's really the only way to go. Without doing that, or at the very least running the sound through external analog comp and EQ, you're going to hear almost no difference in the before and after.

i like that, although , woudnt sound sharper/ thinner. guitar amps dont have a lot of low end. i guess maybe chords and leads would be nice.
13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Lives for gear

I think you will get best results with really good preamps and great A/D. I just did a test with my budget vtb1 and .. well it sucks ;-) where have all the transients gone ....?

i think you will get good results with something like colortone pro ... i use it often for pimping my softsynths.

13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I run any plugin synth or sample through my adl 600, which makes it instantly better.
23rd November 2006
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

ok. thx crandall. I am gonna get started on some more vsti stuff...and I can run it through my BUZZ
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search