Is there a software sampler designed for quick sampling?
Old 28th August 2013
Gear maniac

Is there a software sampler designed for quick sampling?

Maybe I haven't delved deep enough into Simpler, Sampler, or Kontakt, but it seems none of these seem like they actually sample, but focus more on sample playback.

I'm talking about mpc/asr10 speed type sampling, where there is automatic or near automatic not assignment for quick workflow. Anyone know of a sampler for Mac OS that is focused around actual sampling?

Plusses would be if it could have filters/env/effects. Which is why I'm staying away from maschine as an option for now.

Really, what I would love is the functionality of an ASR10 or E4XT type sampler in vst form. I miss the quick sampling days where you go from sampling to using the sample in an instant. If you then want to shape the sound you could.

Anything like this?

Or is there a work flow that I'm missing with Simpler, Sampler, Kontakt, where I could sample quickly?

Note: I'm not really ITB, mainly OTB, but aren't opposed to whatever I need to do to get quick sampling integrated.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Maschine or E-Mu's Emulator X apps.
There's a couple for iPad too :-)
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Maschine can do live sampling like oldschool samplers. It also has envelopes filters and effects etc.

Or you could just record into a clip in Ableton and drag the audio file onto a new MIDI track/drum rack/etc.
Old 28th August 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Geist can do this easily but then you only have 16 notes, Emu X is windows only sadly.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear
NNXT
Old 28th August 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I'm looking into a hack to get windows VSTs running in logic, it seems like a lot of buggering around but for EMU X it will be worth it, If I get it working over the next week I'll post it up and how it was done etc.

Still, you need to buy it, but from someone who has the hardware next to them, it's the next best thing and it's quick to make a patch in it then burn it floppy and load it in the real thing I'll give it a shot, I usually don't give up on these things when I start them even if it involves taking the entire house to pieces..

Here's some links if anyone reading is interested..

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34640/vfx
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...-your-mac-daw/

http://diaphone.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/11.html

Edit: bleh, just tried, can't activate it :/
Old 28th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
Maybe I haven't delved deep enough into Simpler, Sampler, or Kontakt, but it seems none of these seem like they actually sample, but focus more on sample playback.

I'm talking about mpc/asr10 speed type sampling, where there is automatic or near automatic not assignment for quick workflow. Anyone know of a sampler for Mac OS that is focused around actual sampling?

Plusses would be if it could have filters/env/effects. Which is why I'm staying away from maschine as an option for now.

Really, what I would love is the functionality of an ASR10 or E4XT type sampler in vst form. I miss the quick sampling days where you go from sampling to using the sample in an instant. If you then want to shape the sound you could.

Anything like this?

Or is there a work flow that I'm missing with Simpler, Sampler, Kontakt, where I could sample quickly?

Note: I'm not really ITB, mainly OTB, but aren't opposed to whatever I need to do to get quick sampling integrated.
Kontakt is super quick you just need to know how to use it

drag your sample in and you have 1000 tools at ur disposal to shape the sound in minutes

I dont kontakt too much as have hardware samplers but as soon as you get your head around it its a joy to use
Old 28th August 2013
Gear addict

Can't say how quick it is, but it is capable of recording samples, supports Windows and Mac, and is free: TX16Wx
Old 28th August 2013
Quote:
In Live:
- create new audio track
- record your audio in a clip
- trim the clip accordingly to get rid of leading/trailing silence
- create a new Simpler
- drag clip into Simpler
- ...or Sampler
- ...or Impulse

A hardware sampler consists of multiple parts; the playback engine and the recording engine. For rack samplers, very few allow you to sample while you're playing stuff. Few allow you to load files while you're playing back or sampling. The main reason to put this all in a single box was because it was a giant PITA to transfer files from one device to another in the 80s and 90s.

The DAW handles the audio recording. Because plugins are badly integrated with DAWs, you can't directly drag or copy clips. So, you have to save as .wav or .aiff first and then reopen that file in the plugin you want to use it.

MOTU.com - Record and sample can do it directly, Geist can do it as well. Kontakt is not the most intuitive in that regard, but it's basically less of a sampler and more of a sample-library authoring tool. It would be great if they started treating it as such, though.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg View Post
Can't say how quick it is, but it is capable of recording samples, supports Windows and Mac, and is free: TX16Wx
This advertises as exactly what I am looking for. I'll try it out. thanks!
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Have you checked out Morgana?
It's definitely geared towards what you're looking for and it comes with an "instant sampling" plug-in as well, piping in the audio to the plug-in.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

I bought Maschine after trying out so many options; previously, I was using Emulator X in a virtual machine. Geist is pretty worthy of mention but there's little that comes close to Maschine's integration.

I'd hoped that Ableton might've offered direct recording to Sampler by now, seems such a huge omission in hindsight, IMO.

I don't understand how Emulator X was never bigger than it is/was.
Surely, be definition, a sampler should be able to sample...
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

I find Maschine pretty quick for sampling. Gonna look at that TX16Wx thingy though!
Old 28th August 2013
Gear nut

In my personal opinion it doesn't get any simpler or quicker than Maschine, but it's not cheap unless you go the Mikro route, which I don't recommend for its lack of knobs, which are what make Maschine a fun instrument to work with. You could always sample into an audio track in Live. From vague memory(haven't used Live for several years) you record, set slice points/warp markers, and send to Live's drum racks by midi slicing or something like that. It's not a bad process, IMO.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
I'd hoped that Ableton might've offered direct recording to Sampler by now, seems such a huge omission in hindsight, IMO.
Recording into a clip and then dragging the sample onto a new MIDI track or Sampler/Drum Rack isn't exactly a big hardship. Easier and more elegant than setting up the routing for Geist or Maschine if you ask me.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

I'd take, and did, Maschine over Live's sampling any day; purely due to the hardware integration as it feels more like an MPC via Maschine.
I won't belittle Ableton's capabilities as its my main DAW, I just expanded it with Maschine to suit mine, and many others, taste/workflow.
If Push offered more dedicated clip visualising and Live offered direct to Clip sampling then I'd be using Live purely.
For my workflow, having everything a few buttons and knobs in Maschine feels so much better than recording a clip, using mouse and keyboard to trim the sample before dragging it where it 'should' go. Both give the same results and one suits some more than others.
In the context of MPC comparisons though, I think Maschine makes as much sense as a real MPC where as Live doesn't offer this specific route in any native sense.
Maschine AND Live is a killer outfit though, YMMV
Old 28th August 2013
Banned

Quote:

Anything like this?

I'm sorry but this is just silly. Why do people say Kontakt etc 'dont actually sample'? In the past to sample something you had to get it into the sampler through the audio in A/D converter. Now - that is your soundcard. If you wanted certain 'pre-sets' you got them on a CD rom - errr same as now - but anything from a record you had to 'record it' same as now unless you can download it straight into your PC - in which case you have saved a stage.

The speed and flexibility of Kontakt is amazing - beat matching, timestretching almost artifact free, graphic mapping etc. So Morgana allows you to record ' into it ' via the same soundcard you already have connected to your DAW - what have you gained?

A computer with a soundcard and software for playing back triggered audio is just the same as those big old heavey boxes - but with massive memory and more sophisticated software and better converters etc.

Now if your talking about hardware and loopstations etc for live thats a different matter - but this idea that modern samplers dont sample is nonsense. Strictly they dont do the recording but why does this matter? Its still ready in an instant - then you can 'shape the sound'.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

I've always been real happy with Halion, specifically because it behaves like a pro-level hardware sampler -- for example, it's easy to set up filter cutoff changing with velocity (play louder, sound gets brighter) ... the kind of thing all the old school rack samplers had that the new prosumer crap (hello roland sp series) leaves out.

It has a nice library (at least did as of v3, which I have) but is totally geared for using your own samples, editing them, and mapping them over the keyboard. Very flexible what you can do if you want to dig into it. Sounds like what you put in.

Hope this helps.
Old 28th August 2013
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktuator View Post
NNXT
This. Reason itself is like one giant sampler. Press the sample button and sample. It automatically loads the sample you just recorded.
Old 29th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
I'm sorry but this is just silly. Why do people say Kontakt etc 'dont actually sample'? In the past to sample something you had to get it into the sampler through the audio in A/D converter. Now - that is your soundcard. If you wanted certain 'pre-sets' you got them on a CD rom - errr same as now - but anything from a record you had to 'record it' same as now unless you can download it straight into your PC - in which case you have saved a stage.

The speed and flexibility of Kontakt is amazing - beat matching, timestretching almost artifact free, graphic mapping etc. So Morgana allows you to record ' into it ' via the same soundcard you already have connected to your DAW - what have you gained?

A computer with a soundcard and software for playing back triggered audio is just the same as those big old heavey boxes - but with massive memory and more sophisticated software and better converters etc.

Now if your talking about hardware and loopstations etc for live thats a different matter - but this idea that modern samplers dont sample is nonsense. Strictly they dont do the recording but why does this matter? Its still ready in an instant - then you can 'shape the sound'.
Every person has a different workflow pace and tolerance for less musical workflow items. I have one very talented friend who hears a song in his head, knows all the parts, he just really needs to construct what he hears in his head into tracks. If he gets side tracked with a driver issue, or searching for a function in a bunch of menus, he still knows his end goal. He doesn't like it, but he can either take a break or push forward, his goal isn't going to change.

Me? I have no idea what I'm going to do when I sit to make a song. No goal, not a clue. I'll just start laying down tracks as I experiment. One could say I'm not as musical as my friend, and I would easily agree. Many of my tunes come out from accidents. Whatever.

But because I'm writing and creating on the fly, every step of my workflow matters whether it is quick and fast and easy, or not. Once I get hung up on trying to route something, or whatever that distracts me for more than a few minutes, I may spend the next 20 minutes figuring it out, but then the particular song I'm working on could pretty much be over. My creative side shut down, my engineering trouble shooting side taken over.

Sampling is one of those things that I would like to be as integrated into my workflow as possible. If there is an option to hit a button, record the sample triggered by a volume threshold, have it immediately ready to play on a track, especially while the rest of my tracks are playing, that would be ideal. If I need to name a file, trim the sample, save to a folder, load it into a vst instrument, specify a starting note, and whatever else, it's not horrible, but not ideal.

Everyone has their own way of working.
Old 29th August 2013
Gear maniac

I will also say that simpler is so very close to being there. Dropping in a wav file then playing is as fast as can be. It's just the actual recording a sample end that is not quite fast or efficient in Live. It's not terribly bad, but just not as quick as the old HW samplers were.
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear
NNXT or NN19 or Kong.

Click the sample button on the sampler, click stop.

Done.
Old 29th August 2013
Ham
Gear addict

i just discovered this amazing app called Snapper. i really love it, its so simple and effective.

I recommend this to everyone

-mg

Snapper 2 by Audio Ease
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
i just discovered this amazing app called Snapper. i really love it, its so simple and effective.

-mg

Snapper 2 by Audio Ease
very cool!
Old 29th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Every person has a different workflow pace and tolerance for less musical workflow items.
Exactly.

I love what Kontakt can do but starting from scratch, it's a lot slower to record a new sample and have it ready to play than with most hardware samplers.

A lot of times I'm more interested in how a sample fits into a track through how I play it on the keyboard than I am in heavy-duty sonic manipulation. For those cases, I'd really prefer something faster and simpler than Kontakt.

It'd be great to have simple sampling in Kontakt that would get me playing really quickly, then be able to access the rest of the features when I wanted them, but I don't know of a way to do that.
Old 29th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:

-mg

Snapper 2 by Audio Ease
This has potential to be probably the most useful audio software I ever owned in the past 5 years. sounds awesome.
Old 30th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:

-mg

Snapper 2 by Audio Ease
Hmm.. that is really cool. THis along with simpler/sampler could be exactly what I need.

As for actually sampling..I'm thinking audacity?
Old 30th August 2013
Reason is the killer app for this. You can sample into the NNXT, into the ReDrum, into the NN19... it's fast, perfect and fun.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search