Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Tape Simulation

I couldn't find any threads related to this and it's an interesting thing, so let's do it!

A lot of people don't like the sound of electronic music on tape, but I know I do.

So are you bouncing to a machine? It doesn't matter if you are or not, we've seen some really cool stuff come out in the last year or so on the software end of things and what do you reckon? Good shit or bad colorization plugs?

Crane Song Phoenix II

Magentic II

Kramer MPX
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

cdsm just like tape only easier to find and maintain
Old 28th August 2013
Gear Head

I use it a lot on percussion (hats, snare, etc) I like it to make my beats a bit more dirty

I like kramer, izotope's nectar, etc
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's a nice little nostalgic alternative to bitcrushing for me. I still use tape frequently, be it as a recording device, mangling tool or dump - but I like the fact that plug-ins now emulate different ips settings and machines. Like with Plogue's Chipsound, it might be nerd-service, but using the different names of models/chips is great for workflow and immersion.

For that reason, Magnetic II is my favorite. I'll use it for _anything_. It has been my go-to plug-in for making something sound like me since it was released.

The reason why I wanted to talk about it here is because it's by far the application the most people who only do electronic/dance music have been stoked about after seeing how I use it.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear nut

I think there is plenty of plugins, emulating tape compression and frequency-response. I found some of them quite weird, like (free) Cakewalk Tape Sim, which sounds nasty and LOUD but not like tape

The more interesting thing for me: is there any DAW or standalone program that can also imitate tape speed and pitch shifting? That particular manipulation was heavily used in early days of electronica and experimental music. Had anybody succeed in imitating of that particular algorithms and sound?
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Uustric View Post
I think there is plenty of plugins, emulating tape compression and frequency-response. I found some of them quite weird, like (free) Cakewalk Tape Sim, which sounds nasty and LOUD but not like tape

The more interesting thing for me: is there any DAW or standalone program that can also imitate tape speed and pitch shifting? That particular manipulation was heavily used in early days of electronica and experimental music. Had anybody succeed in imitating of that particular algorithms and sound?
Definitely some Reaktor stuff out there capable of tape-style pitch-shifting. That's why I initially got into it when it was called Generator.

If we're talking off-line, there's quite a few good algorithms out there.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Uustric View Post
..The more interesting thing for me: is there any DAW or standalone program that can also imitate tape speed and pitch shifting? That particular manipulation was heavily used in early days of electronica and experimental music. Had anybody succeed in imitating of that particular algorithms and sound?
Like to know this too, admittedly I did not look at everything available. I wonder how these plugs handle emulating REALLY squashing the levels well into distortion - love this.

Honestly I just use a 424 cheaper than a plugin and has a huge range of distortion and manipulation, can be run at half-speed or double speed with 1/5 variable pitch. Not to mention the not so subtile DBX NR. Lovely smooth pitch/speed changes.

I've been in studios with 1/2" 8-tracks before.

Once again I could never understand why plugin makers always try to emulate "high end" gear - pro tape decks in particular have very little "sound" because they're designed to not have any "sound". "Tape sound" was something to be avoided in those days.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Like to know this too, admittedly I did not look at everything available. I wonder how these plugs handle emulating REALLY squashing the levels well into distortion - love this.

Honestly I just use a 424 cheaper than a plugin and has a huge range of distortion and manipulation, can be run at half-speed or double speed with 1/5 variable pitch. Not to mention the not so subtile DBX NR. Lovely smooth pitch/speed changes.

I've been in studios with 1/2" 8-tracks before.

Once again I could never understand why plugin makers always try to emulate "high end" gear - pro tape decks in particular have very little "sound" because they're designed to not have any "sound". "Tape sound" was something to be avoided in those days.
Check out the section to the left on the Magnetic screenshot. All good ones with their own sound, especially if driven (yes, that's emulated too).
Old 28th August 2013
Gear maniac

CDSoundmaster R2R for Nebula or standalone VST rocks! There are different tape machines and tape types to choose from that sound very authentic. As with most Nebula programs, they are CPU hungry so you may wish to print/render as you use them. Nebula works by using impulse response-like samples that are adjustable as opposed to coded algorithms.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear maniac

I'm waiting for u-he's Satin to come out... multiple instances from one window, and it has delay too.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Vosene View Post
I'm waiting for u-he's Satin to come out... multiple instances from one window, and it has delay too.
AH!
It had just escaped my mind, damn you!
I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it.
Old 28th August 2013
I'm cheap so I use these two freebies for Windows, which work pretty well:

Wow & Flutter by Interruptor:

FerricTDS by Variety of Sound:

Old 28th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Vosene View Post
I've been waiting forever for this. The coming soon sign on its webpage has been there forever.

I've demoed Slate's Virtual Tape Machine. Don't really know much about what to do with a tape machine other than it seems to add that tape sound. I'd love to learn what else people do with them. Thanks for mentioning some things, I'm going to investigate more.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
I've been waiting forever for this. The coming soon sign on its webpage has been there forever.

I've demoed Slate's Virtual Tape Machine. Don't really know much about what to do with a tape machine other than it seems to add that tape sound. I'd love to learn what else people do with them. Thanks for mentioning some things, I'm going to investigate more.
Have you used Magnetic? It's great.

Ask any question here and I'll answer it. I'm a big, big, BIG proponent of tape and I'm _not_ a purist.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
I'm cheap so I use these two freebies for Windows, which work pretty well:

Wow & Flutter by Interruptor:

FerricTDS by Variety of Sound:

FerricTDS is kind of mystery to me, it's touch on sound is always very subtle or I did not properly used it
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search