What is the goal of a dj specifically? To blend 2 tracks together?
certifiedhumane
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear nut

What is the goal of a dj specifically? To blend 2 tracks together?

Hey I'm thinking about getting into djing but never really understood the concept. I'm aware they play music, but what is their goal specifically, for example what separates a quality dj from a non-quality dj?
I thought they take 2 tracks and sort-of blend them together right? But how is it possible to play 2 tracks on top of each other, wouldn't sounds from each song cancel each other out from the frequencies?

Thank you for your time
certifiedhumane
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear nut

And what are the guidelines for playing tracks in certain orders? Would it be wise to play 1 track and then play a similar sounding track (with similar sounds) right after or is the goal to separate similar sounding synths?
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Have you ever been to a club?
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

The better DJ's, IMO, use FX and frequency manipulation to blend the tracks, circumventing that clash you refer to.
In general, the aim of a DJ is to play a bunch of tunes that lift the mood of the crowd - forcing them to forget they've just blown 2-3 hours of wages on getting in and a drink.

The bottom line is though that a DJ is an entertainer first; there's a trade-off in what the DJ does and what the crowd want - the better ones can read a crowd, know their stack and are happy to please; it's this skill that a lot of DJ's lack IMO.
Still though, there's an integrity needed in the DJ - are you looking to be the star of the show or are you looking to become a career DJ - one simply plays a large selection of others tunes where the other produces theirs/others too. Both posisitions are only improved with some work, getting the latest tunes, working unusual mixes and generally being more creative than simply beat-matching on the 4's and leading one tune to the next.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

blending of tunes is only one thing, and there are different kinds of dj's. i think the kind of dj that is king is the one that can turn people on and make them DANCE!!!!!!!!

That's it really. It's simple, but not easy to do REALLY well......... but it's subtle & some DJs really can change your life! Really................

To do it properly you really need to have partied and really grokked whats going on. @thinking about becoming a DJ' is'nt really going to get you there. Sorry if this comes over as patronising, but it's true, & yes i do know what i'm talking about, i've had to stand in front of 10,000 people before now and make them shake it big time, not only shake it but lose their minds and really get off on the music and the atmosphere that you create as a DJ, it's a hard thing to explain, but you have to have danced, i mean really danced at at least one time in your life where you totally felt and completely understood the power and force of the music so you can supply that to a crowd..........
It's a hard thing to describe really.............
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Yeah they cancel each other out, it's not worth looking into.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

What makes you want to be a DJ - there are so many types of DJ that one simply cannot just advise where to start looking...
For me, the likes of Shadow, Kentaro and Yoda tick the regular boxes for my definitions of DJ. I've appreciated sets from the likes of Yoji Biomekanika(spelling).
A lot of Ninja Tunes DJs are also highly regarded, least not by me.

I'd go on to say that Deadmaus ticks a lot of the boxes entertainment wise, I'm not a fan per se but I've liked some of what I've seen.
The likes of Tiesto though, don't excite me at all. Nor does David Guetta - this is more down to the style of music, I really can't stand more than 1 or 2 'trance' or this (washed out) 'EDM' genericism as its been pigeon-holed.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Yeah they cancel each other out, it's not worth looking into.
This :-)
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Programming music: slecting which track goes next. But before they ahve to select the music as a kind of "curators"
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

It has to be said though, without a real passion for the music, you'd be far better off just going along to your supermarket, find the dairy section; amongst the cheeses, you'll find plenty of Ministry of Sound, Godskitchen and Cream CD's - they'll give you all the guidance you need.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear addict

27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

The days of self discovery are well and truely gone
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

This has GOT to be some sort of trollfail thread, but if it isn't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanker View Post
The days of self discovery are well and truely gone
+1 again.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

This thread is pretty off-topic. There are whole websites devoted to DJ performance...
That being said, the advice on this thread is pretty on-point.

The goal of a DJ is to create the right vibe at the right time, to rock the party.
So the key to being a great DJ is (A) knowing what the right vibe for a given time actually *is*, and (B) knowing how to create and maintain that vibe.

There is a technical component to it as well, as in how to mix two or more tracks in a way that actually sounds good... This part is not actually that hard as long as you have decent tools, and put in the practice. Having good taste in music, listening to a ton of tunes, knowing what works together, knowing what not to play... that's the harder part I reckon.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
This has GOT to be some sort of trollfail thread, but if it isn't:

That's what I thought.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

How do I manage to don the meat-suit in so many troll situations...
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

The book "How To DJ (Properly)" will tell you everything you need to know... I think it's by Bill Brewster.
msl
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
This has got to be a joke right?

go make friends with some dj's and learn from them, thats the best way.

28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedhumane View Post
Hey I'm thinking about getting into djing but never really understood the concept. I'm aware they play music, but what is their goal specifically, for example what separates a quality dj from a non-quality dj?
I thought they take 2 tracks and sort-of blend them together right? But how is it possible to play 2 tracks on top of each other, wouldn't sounds from each song cancel each other out from the frequencies?

Thank you for your time
Interesting question,
I'd say it's about entertaining a crowd for a long stretch of time. I personally do short sets, but I wouldn't call myself a dj when I do that stuff. A good dj can entertain a crowd for 3 hours and take them on a journey. Dips, peaks and tension.

Actually, I've been getting back into full length dj'ing recently and I do love and respect it. I've been attending my friends old school hip hop nights at this tiny place and it's heaven.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013

It's about getting through an hour and not having a panic attack.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Lol, love this troll thread.

The goal of today's DJ is to stand in front of a crowd in girls pants miming to his unplugged Xone 92 and laptop. No mixing skills required. At least that's how Guetta does it.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
It's about getting through an hour and not having a panic attack.

Or switch the strobes on just as the DJ is having a panic attack
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear interested

I don't know what it's like for a resident, night club DJ today, but back when I did it in the late 80's & early 90's, one of my major responsibilities was to help the club sell a lot of beer and liquor.

And I did this by rotating the crowd on my dancefloor with song selection and tempo. Even if your floor and the night club is jammed packed with people, you still have to rotate that crowd.

Oh, and don't forget to tell the bartenders what you're doing. They'll appreciate it, and the good ones will kick back some cash.

I miss my 1200's.
Jet
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Jet
Gear maniac

Everything you need to know about DJing can be learned from The 8 Track Gorilla.

28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Have you ever been to a club?
My thoughts exactly... OP never been to a club? You'll see/hear right away what a good or bad dj does, depending how the crowd is doing.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

The way I see it, a good DJ spends 10-20 years building a killer music collection (which is no small feat and requires listening to all kinds of crap for thousands of hours, to find the gems and of course, taste and understanding of the music to know how to spot the gem when he hears it), then he represents parts of his collection to the public in the form of DJ'ing, which includes technical skills like blending the tracks together to form a coherent whole, not just a collection of random tracks.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear maniac

To me, the goal of a DJ is most certainly to entertain the audience. He/she should do it with great music, best combined with technical skills and other wizardry. Remember, right kind of music for right occasion, perhaps sprinkled with surprises too. A DJ who plays for his/own pleasure (overdoing the FXs and playing the same routine/collection week after week, etc) to me, has lost the plot.

===

I wrote this on my blog:

What is a DJ (DeeJay/Disc Jockey):- usually defined as a person who selects, plays, and often comments on recorded music, as on a radio program or at a discotheque, etc. A person playing his own created music is more of a performer than a DJ.

Music Producer - usually defined as a person who creatively guides/directs the process of making music. Typically competent as arranger, composer, musician and songwriter.

However, lines between the two are sometimes less distinct, e.g. a DJ who performs with "live" elements, typically in order to add excitement to the music, is not playing "existing" music. In fact, some of the superstar DJs of today are also talented music producers.

Hence, it is not a case to excel at either music production or DJ-ing. These two are complementary fields in music world. To dabble in them would likely yield synergistic outcomes for most folks. The satisfactions to getting thumbs up on your music production and/or getting the crowd enjoying themselves at an event must be something to experience.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
I think the most important thing with DJing is song selection. This includes playing songs that you've produced as well (to see how the crowd reacts).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search