Really weird MIDI interface problem
Old 27th August 2013
Gear Head

Really weird MIDI interface problem

Hey Guys, i m coming here because i really dont know what to do anymore..

Somehow my MOTU Midi Express128 causes clicks when i record midi stuff to audio. At first i thought my RME card is f*cked and updated drivers etc but it was not the reason of the problem.. when i record a synth by just playing on the keyboard everything is fine, but when i record MIDI for that synth and play it back and record audio there are clicks on each triggered note. I updated the driver for the MOTU, same thing. Also i tried different DAWS, nothing.. This interface has worked for me for well over 2 years and i didnt change a thing.
I m really starting to get mad. What could be the problem? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 31st August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDE View Post
Hey Guys, i m coming here because i really dont know what to do anymore..

Somehow my MOTU Midi Express128 causes clicks when i record midi stuff to audio. At first i thought my RME card is f*cked and updated drivers etc but it was not the reason of the problem.. when i record a synth by just playing on the keyboard everything is fine, but when i record MIDI for that synth and play it back and record audio there are clicks on each triggered note. I updated the driver for the MOTU, same thing. Also i tried different DAWS, nothing.. This interface has worked for me for well over 2 years and i didnt change a thing.
I m really starting to get mad. What could be the problem? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Just curious if this is with any particular synth, or in general (with other synths). It's really odd that you'd be getting clicks in your audio inputs from the midi interface.

Questions:
- If you disconnect the synth from your audio interface, can you still hear the clicks when you send it note data?

- Do you have another midi interface? Can you do a loopback test and see if the interface is sending any spurious data? You'd need something to monitor the midi inputs, not sure if you're running mac or PC.

- Is the motu making electrical contact with the RME? Are they in the same rack or on top of each other? Could be you're getting some RF or electrical noise somehow.

- Have you tried different audio cables? Different audio inputs on the RME? Its possible you have something that is clipping when the loudest part of the note hits - maybe impedance mismatch or pre going bad on the audio interface.

Feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help. Definitely a fan of your tunes.
Old 31st August 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioel View Post
- Is the motu making electrical contact with the RME? Are they in the same rack or on top of each other? Could be you're getting some RF or electrical noise somehow.
I wondered about common impedance or ground issues. Are these both USB devices?

edit - perhaps there may otherwise be an issue with USB throughput.
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

OK..... I know you said you didn't change anything but for sake of testing here are the possibilities I can think of:

Has something changed in your set up, ie you rerouted cables, moved or added any piece of gear, are you using different or additional power sockets etc.....

For example, I had problems with "computer noise" leaking into the mixer which was exacerbated when having a MOTU MTP AV plugged into the USB port.

In the end I moved all the audio gear to one side of the room and the computer to the other, re-routed all the audio, midi & power cabling and low and behold... the computer noise problems disappeared.

There could be ground loop issues, try running all the audio & computer gear off the same power supply or socket. (Just don't overload it, check the ratings on your power socket and equipment first)

If you have a laptop you could try running it off the battery instead of a powersupply to see if that makes a difference.

Try a different MIDI interface if you have one lying around, do testing.

Try a different audio interface if you have one lying around, do testing.

You could try disconnecting everything and plugging in kit one by one until you isolate the fault or where the noise is coming from.

Another possibility which may or may not help is using a USB isolator on the MOTU to see if that made any difference.

Something like this:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modu...rface/USB-ISO/
(Also available at Amazon & Mouser)

or

USB Isolator, Galvanic Isolated USB 2.0 - Electronics-shop.dk

These things are usually USB 2.0 Full Speed ie 12Mbit/sec, ok for a Midi Interface but probably too slow for USB Audio.
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

The only time my setup started making clicks is when I needed to increase the audio I/O buffer size. If the computer is too slow for the exchange of data it makes clicks or almost like short static sounds. It wouldn't be on any specific track so it might appear like it was MIDI problem but actually is from the audio engine. If you increase the buffer size it will make a difference right away, it's worth trying to rule it out as the problem anyway. Good luck!
Old 8th September 2013
Gear addict

Did you solve it?

Are the clicks just in the recording or are they coming from the synths? - could it be notes retriggering from a MIDI loop?

"Clicks" do sound audio interface related though.

Both my interfaces are dead and I'm down to running off A+E Zed14 USB + laptop onboard sound, aggregated for 4 channels of awesome! (not)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search