A soft synth that filters harmonics?
BitseK
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

A soft synth that filters harmonics?

Hi

I understand that this might be an extremely silly question, and I apologize beforehand if it is, but I'm quite the opposite of a synth guru, and trying to learn right now, anyway here goes:

Is there a soft synth out there that let's you attenuate a certain harmonic of an oscillators wave? Say where I just get to choose to filter out the fundamental and 5th harmonic, as a completely random example?

I understand that the normal filters work based on frequency and by using some math I could get rid of the fundamental, but what if I need to filter more than one harmonic, and leave harmonics in between them? It also sounds like an awful job calculating all the frequencies if I know particular harmonics that I want to get rid of, is there an easy way?

Ugh....

Sent from my GT-I9300
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

No.

I think you need to google additive synthesis. That's about as close as you're going to get.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
digital ears love analog

FFT EQs do this. Though I don't know of any soft synths that use it as a filter stage.
BitseK
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

What if you were to use a bunch of precise BP filters to attenuate certain harmonics?

And yeah, additive.. But I do not want to touch that subject yet. Trying to learn all the possibilities of subtractive

How come something like this has never been implemented on any of the synth? It doesn't sound like it would be technically impossible to do? Surely it could be helpful when trying to reproduce some sounds.

Thanks for the suggestion Rogue Ai.

Sent from my GT-I9300
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013

Someone might have made something like this for Reaktor actually.

It would be possible, fairly simply, if you had the figures.
BitseK
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Someone might have made something like this for Reaktor actually.

It would be possible, fairly simply, if you had the figures.
So how come none of the synth manufacturers implemented the feature? I mean to me it sounds good, being able to chose what harmonics you wanna get rid of. Maybe it's not that useful in practise..

Sent from my GT-I9300
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

would the effect be similar to a comb filter in practice? In which case, there are plenty of interesting options.

Still, might be worth looking at NI Razor, which is additive with a twist, and hugely rewarding. One of the shining star examples of software synthesis doing something interesting and left field.
BitseK
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

Yes, the effect would be closely related to that of the comb filter, however I'm particularly interested in the appeal of just picking which harmonics I want to attenuate, say the fundamental, and a bunch of other ones. In my head it just seemed like a cool feature to play around with.
Sent from my GT-I9300
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013

You say that, but there's a lot of stuff they don't do very well

They seem to spend a lot of time trying to recreate older stuff instead of looking forwards. Still, we need both, just in better balance.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search