The official Roland JUPITER 3rd wave! (New Roland Corp. President)
MusicFan
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
MusicFan

The official Roland JUPITER 3rd wave! (New Roland Corp. President)

Break the taboo, whoop it up and tell the new Roland Corp. President bluntly, why you really detest and hate the Jupiter-80!
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

No
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

If I had a penny for every thread about roland like this...
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
you would be a rich man, we all would be!
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
you could almost afford a Jupiter 80!
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Wow I thought you'd be going in a much more positive direction with this thread.
Why not ask folks to express what they would like to see new from Roland...?
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Been there, done this thread.

I went so far as to get people to post on Roland's Facebook page this past May.

A week after that I was able to call Roland and the PR person called me back after 2 weeks. (nice person though seriously)

I tried to get and interview set up to once and for all find out if they are going to produce an analog in the future. They had me submit a detailed summary of the interview I wanted to conduct.

In the end no response. I don't blame them.

All in all I still think we successfully got their attention. At this point I got through to PR so I'm sure they know.

I'd like to think if an analog comes out by next year it was because they heard us, so we'll see.

At this point I believe it's up to the corporate heads at Roland and I sincerely believe they are what's holding Roland back. I hope for the best from Roland in the future but honestly I probably wouldn't start another thread in my opinion because I feel we've done all we can do and the ball is in their court.

FYI people reply all the time on their YouTube videos and Facebook page to make another analog. It's done so often there's no way they are not seeing that.

Just to add: I will support your thread though since I'm grateful for those who supported mine.
MusicFan
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Wow I thought you'd be going in a much more positive direction with this thread.
OK, so let's ask folks: "Express what you would like to see new from Roland...?"

I personally think, that Roland urgently needs a change in direction and the new and young President is a sign of hope.

I own two Jupiter-80 and many other synths. My first synth was the Juno-6 in the early 1980's and I followed the Roland development since then. I obviously like the JP-80, but would like to see more hands-on controllers. The name and the whole marketing strategy of the JP-80 was a mistake in my view. But if you are really a synth player, you have to recognize the extreme responsiveness, flexibility and expressivity of the JP-80's VA synth and also the SN acoustic engines. Roland didn't package their new SN technology in the best possible way so far...

PS: I highly doubt to see any new analog Roland product in the future, but I think they will present their SN technology in a completely different way. Maybe in form of a new SN "Groovebox", with plenty of hardware knobs and faders...
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

They really do, I have a ton of vintage roland and LOVE IT and I use to have a V-synth which was cool, but in the end its VA engine just sounded plastic and fake. The VA engine in the jupiter 80 sounds like crap to me as well as the one in the Gaia and its not that I hate VA I have a Virus TI and a Kronos and love the sound of both. The Kronos was one of the most innovative things to hit the workstation market in a very long time. Roland needs to stop creating subpar crap and poaching product names from there heyday to try and sell it. They really need to start innovating. I would love to see them go in the direction that Korg has gone with new analog products and a brand new take on the workstation but they really are gonna have a hell of a time catching up, Korg is reaping the benefits of technology they have been investing in for a long time on both fronts.

My .02 Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFan View Post
OK, so let's ask folks: "Express what you would like to see new from Roland...?"

I personally think, that Roland urgently needs a change in direction and the new and young President is a sign of hope.

I own two Jupiter-80 and many other synths. My first synth was the Juno-6 in the early 1980's and I followed the Roland development since then. I obviously like the JP-80, but would like to see more hands-on controllers. The name and the whole marketing strategy of the JP-80 was a mistake in my view. But if you are really a synth player, you have to realize the extreme responsiveness, flexibility and expressivity of the JP-80's VA synth and also the SN acoustic engines. But Roland didn't package their new SN technology in the best way so far...
MusicFan
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soliceseven View Post
They really do, I have a ton of vintage roland and LOVE IT and I use to have a V-synth which was cool, but in the end its VA engine just sounded plastic and fake. The VA engine in the jupiter 80 sounds like crap to me as well as the one in the Gaia and its not that I hate VA I have a Virus TI and a Kronos and love the sound of both. The Kronos was one of the most innovative things to hit the workstation market in a very long time. Roland needs to stop creating subpar crap and poaching product names from there heyday to try and sell it. They really need to start innovating. I would love to see them go in the direction that Korg has gone with new analog products and a brand new take on the workstation but they really are gonna have a hell of a time catching up, Korg is reaping the benefits of technology they have been investing in for a long time on both fronts.

My .02 Cents
So would you rather like to see a new Roland VA synth engine, which suits better your personal taste, or a new Roland analog synth?

What do you think is more realistic?
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Matrix Modulator

Hybrid
MusicFan
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
MusicFan

the end of my summer holidays...

Meanwhile I've deleted all fomenting additions from my initial post, in order to enable a more productive communication....

Does anyone believe, that Roland will drop their SuperNATURAL technology soon, as many of you seem to dislike the new Roland SuperNATURAL VA synth engine, incorporated in the Jupiter 50/80 and Integra-7, which is btw very different from the GAIA engine?

If no: What form of new Roland product would you imagine, with the current SN technology?

If yes: What should Roland do instead?

-Offering an original Roland analog replica?

-Offering a newly developed analog product?

-Offering a completely new form of digital synthesis?

And in what kind of package would you like to see such a new product?
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Hybrid
DSI style. That would fit Roland's forward thinking better, along with throwing in some other innovative features.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Banned

^^^^ Absolutely - grown up keyboards. Forget the XOX stuff. Thats like relic'd guitars and crap.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
I lost interest in Roland years ago. The V synth was a rare innovative design but other than that they seem to be rehashing the same concept. I'm only bothered about pre-1995 roland!

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

I love the Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50. What am I supposed to do?
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

fully analog computer controlled v-synth coming soon, runs on batteries, choose grey, red, or blue!
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
Play them I guess! :-)

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
Record a kick ass YouTube demo and show us please. Let's see what these can do in the right hands.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Even if you're mega loaded, there's so much new analogue to buy, lovely boutique AND mass produced stuff, that you'd never get bored.

Get over this Roland thing, it's stupid fanboism for people who spend 5 hours getting the perfect 808 kick drum to accompany their tired, repetitive 303 lines.

"lights match and runs away"
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Record a kick ass YouTube demo and show us please. Let's see what these can do in the right hands.
always thought this guy got pretty into it:

27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

Yeah, but there's something special about old Roland gear, not just the acid stuff. Even the lowly JX-3p has a sound to it that just isn't found in other gear. Dial in a simple square wave bass on a vintage Roland and you'll see what I mean.

If they could retain this quality in a modern instrument I'm sure it'd be an instant classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Even if you're mega loaded, there's so much new analogue to buy, lovely boutique AND mass produced stuff, that you'd never get bored.

Get over this Roland thing, it's stupid fanboism for people who spend 5 hours getting the perfect 808 kick drum to accompany their tired, repetitive 303 lines.

27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Because I have as much sway with these letters as I do with Santa Claus? :banghead:
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

The best part about the fanboyism is how fickle they are. "I'll buy four, but only if they cost 40% of their original price" Then if Roland ever changes their business model drastically, they'll make up every excuse in the book to why they sound terrible or lack some feature the original also lacked. "Yecch, I can hear the SMT".
MusicFan
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Hybrid
In my opinion a Hybrid wouldn't offer real innovation. DSI produces mainly analog technology and Roland doesn't have the money to invest in new infrastructure in order to be able to produce analog parts.

The future is still digital in the long-term. The digital revolution ist still very young. We've seen the first commercial digital synths not before 1983!

The digital revolution allowed new and never before heard sounds, but had many other weaknesses compared to the more limited sound spectrum of analog synthesis and people began to realize, that their DX-7 will never replace their analog synths, which they sold in a hurry, blinded by the digital revolution hype of the 1980's.

But the digital revolution is still going on, very rapidly, and we can expect much more innovation concerning digital hardware synths in the future, than we are able to imagine.

We are spoiled with bad soft synths everywhere, why we make the wrong assumption, that anything imaginable concerning digital synthesis has already been done, which is far from the truth!

It is relatively easy to write an algorithm, but much harder to create a really playable and worthy digital musical synthesizer, which needs many decades of experience, which Roland, Korg, etc. do have.

I wish to see a Jupiter-80 successor in the future, called D-6000, with touchscreen AND more than just four hardware controller knobs (like on the JP-80), but with full hands-on editing control with plenty of hardware knobs, faders and buttons, plus much enhanced modulation routing possibilities of the current SuperNatural VA Synth engine and much enhanced editing possibilities of the current SN Acoustic engine...and with the VariPhrase technology of the V-Synth.

And just because it looks so nice:

Cheerio!
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

I would actually like to see them build a kind of "Improved-Reaktor-in-a-keyboard".

Make it an open patching environment where each preset could have its sound produced by an entirely different arrangement of modules, including simulated analog, FM, sample playback, effects, etc.

It would also be super-welcoming to third-party developers, featuring an online store where Roland could sell their synths and effects, for a share of the profits. Programmers would also be allowed to "lock" their creations, so that they could be distributed and used by others without them being able to internally examine or modify them. The ability to create new modules using C or compiled javascript on an external computer would be tremendously powerful as well.

As for realtime controls, in addition to traditional wheels and the Roland bender, a collection of LED-ringed knobs as found on the BCR2000 would be great, with the addition of an LCD strip beneath them so as to display parameter names.

The hardware could be based on contemporary computer components running a modified version of linux, ala Korg's newest.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post
I would actually like to see them build a kind of "Improved-Reaktor-in-a-keyboard".

Make it an open patching environment where each preset could have its sound produced by an entirely different arrangement of modules, including simulated analog, FM, sample playback, effects, etc.

It would also be super-welcoming to third-party developers, featuring an online store where Roland could sell their synths and effects, for a share of the profits. Programmers would also be allowed to "lock" their creations, so that they could be distributed and used by others without them being able to internally examine or modify them. The ability to create new modules using C or compiled javascript on an external computer would be tremendously powerful as well.

As for realtime controls, in addition to traditional wheels and the Roland bender, a collection of LED-ringed knobs as found on the BCR2000 would be great, with the addition of an LCD strip beneath them so as to display parameter names.

The hardware could be based on contemporary computer components running a modified version of linux, ala Korg's newest.
VariOS meets Nord Modular would be great fun.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear interested

I think roland need to make an analog synth like junos or sh101, an analog drum machine and a superworkstation with hybrid synths. Since the junos d or g they only are making the same, bad workstations like the jv and xp range thru fantoms and now junos and jupiters
MusicFan
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by israelnoise View Post
...Since the junos d or g they only are making the same, bad workstations like the jv and xp range thru fantoms and now junos and jupiters
Your above sentence is very true, except for the objective fact, that the new Jupiters (and Integra-7), DO represent a new technology, representing a quantum leap in digital synthesis, concerning playability, responsiveness/expressiveness and musicality, which they unfortunately choosed to call "SuperNATURAL technology"...
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Matrix Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFan View Post
Roland doesn't have the money to invest in new infrastructure in order to be able to produce analog parts.
But Korg does?

You're way off here.

Motivation is the real issue.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search