Login / Register
 
Oberheim OB8 slutz, please chime in and advice
New Reply
Subscribe
m127f
Thread Starter
#1
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
m127f's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 739

Thread Starter
m127f is offline
Oberheim OB8 slutz, please chime in and advice

There's a chance to get an OB8 locally for 2550 USD. From the pics I have seen, it looks ridiculously minty. What do you think of the price?

I might just get it and then sell it if I don't gel with it. However, I am not at all familiar with any OB's, and I simply don't know what to check when I go to take a look and test it.

I really do not want to get something with hidden issues, hence my question to OB8 users here: What to check particularly when I go test the OB8 synth guys?

Other than the voice tunings, the autotune function, connectors and the knobs and buttons being responsive and free of audible artifacts, what else could you list as common issues with this particular synth?

I have read some stuff regarding differing bahavior when cold and when already warmed up.


What to check guys? That's a lot of money for me right now.




.
__________________
Quote:
"Now I'll turn it to maximum so you see what huge."
Erlend Krauser
m127f
Thread Starter
#2
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
m127f's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 739

Thread Starter
m127f is offline
By the way, this is an early generation OB8 with no MIDI, which is something I kind of like for a change.


.
m127f
Thread Starter
#3
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
m127f's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 739

Thread Starter
m127f is offline
bump
#4
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
dougt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,252

dougt is offline
If you are in the SF bay area I have one I'd sell for $2400... One thing they all need is the 5V bridge rectifier should have been replaced with a beefier one...
__________________
Doug
http://www.synthparts.com
m127f
Thread Starter
#5
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
m127f's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 739

Thread Starter
m127f is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
If you are in the SF bay area I have one I'd sell for $2400... One thing they all need is the 5V bridge rectifier should have been replaced with a beefier one...
Thanks Dougt. Regretfully, I am not near your area, and I really want to test personally before buying as this is a +30 y/o synth.



.
#6
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
  #6
Gear maniac
 
FabGear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 205

FabGear is offline
Since this is pre-MIDI it may have a Pratt-Read keyboard rather than the Panasonic used in most OB8's which could be considered a plus. Pratt-Read was used in many ARP, Moog, Sequential, and Oberheim Synths. Parts are readily available and it is easy to service. When playing the keys take notice if there is clacking noise or if they play smoothly and quietly. If there is noise it most likely is a Pratt-Read that needs new key bushings. It is best to raise the top panel to identify which keyboard is used. This is what Pratt-Read keys looks like:



When trying out the Synth make sure all eight voices are working and that they all tune properly and hold their tuning over a period of time. Listen to each voice individually to make sure Filter, Envelopes, and Volume Level are evenly matched from voice to voice. If there are any discrepancies it could just need calibration but you may be able to use this as a bargaining chip.

The price is reasonable especially if it is in mint or near-mint condition. Prices are tending to go up on these so it should be a good investment besides being a great classic Synth.
__________________
Prophet 5 rev. 2, Matrix 12, OB8, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, CS70M, MS20, Pro-One, Hammond C3, M102, Vox Continental, Super Continental, Gibson G101, RMI 300A, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Hohner Pianet N, Combo Pianet, CP35, DX-7, S770, S760, S50, Casio PX-5S, WK-3800,
Rickenbacker 360-12, 320
m127f
Thread Starter
#7
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
m127f's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 739

Thread Starter
m127f is offline
Thanks a lot FabGear. Great advice (and impressive collection btw).
I went a couple of days ago, and I found the synth to be in great shape, but there was an issue the seller didn't mention, which is that one of the right hand side panel panning little knobs was broken (number 4). True shame, because other than that it is in like pristine condition. He said he was going to have it replaced with an unchanging price as he screwed up based on what he had told me before.


Regretfully, I could only be there for 1 hour. Though he was kind enough to let me be alone with the synth and the manual I brought in a tablet.

The voices tuned OK. By the end of the hour, they were still fine (he was playing with the synth earlier too). I also listened to each voice individually, and while there were some very slight variations, there was nothing too unpleasant as to call it quits. It might need calibration at some point in the future, but now it just seems fine. The buttons, the knobs, the push knobs, the levers, the arp, the button combinations... they all work.


I couldn't bring myself to buy it because I did not finish checking everything (all the functions). I have another appointment for a second session provided he hasn't sell it.


All in all, I must say I am very, VERY impressed with the tonal qualities provided by the OB-8's design, somewhat primitive, yet visionary for its time... and the sound... THE sound. It is simply a glorious synth. I have never heard a sweetest synthesizer ever. The filter sings delightfully. I could hardly dial anything wrong. Everything I would do: instant beauty. Absolutely no wrong dialings can be done on this synthesizer. I have not tried all synths in history of course, but this baby is so freaking sweet... sweet as in a beatiful sweet woman. The most interesting part was that I was expecting some sort of an out of control analog beast as forewarned by its bold and huge appearance, but far from that: everything I tried resulted in very sweet sounds, as in very pleasant, sometimes even delicate, yet permanently warm as a virgin.

I was silly, but in the middle of my testing, I tried a "double" (two layered programs) for a huge pad, then I messed with the filter envelope while pushing the resonance on one of the sounds, and there I was... Wasted half an hour right there composing a song on a synth that was not even mine yet!! LOL. Thing is the chord progression along with these filter moanings basically POSSESED me right there.



Yes: OB-8 = Ultimate ear candy. Sweetest synth ever.



I don't know. I am truly impressed.





.
m127f
Thread Starter
#8
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
m127f's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 739

Thread Starter
m127f is offline
Btw, what I still have to check are particularly the page 2 functions, which is going to be very difficult because the manual I have is just like a PDF made of photocopies of the original.

As you may know, the earlier OB-8's didn't have the page 2 functions labeled on the synth, and the photocopies are of very bad quality (pics are unreadable)... Does anybody have a good copy?


For example, on page 36, there are these page 2 functions for the LFO, like "Quantize 1", "Quantize 2", "LFO Phase", etc. The problem is, how the hell do I know which button or knob does what? No labels on the synth, and my manual pics are unreadable?


Any ideas anyone?
#9
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #9
Gear Head
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 45

pjwhite is offline
BM0
#10
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #10
BM0
Lives for gear
 
BM0's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 1,636
My Recordings/Credits

BM0 is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by m127f View Post
Btw, what I still have to check are particularly the page 2 functions, which is going to be very difficult because the manual I have is just like a PDF made of photocopies of the original.

As you may know, the earlier OB-8's didn't have the page 2 functions labeled on the synth, and the photocopies are of very bad quality (pics are unreadable)... Does anybody have a good copy?


For example, on page 36, there are these page 2 functions for the LFO, like "Quantize 1", "Quantize 2", "LFO Phase", etc. The problem is, how the hell do I know which button or knob does what? No labels on the synth, and my manual pics are unreadable?


Any ideas anyone?
I have a clean scan of the page 2 functions I'll dig up if I remember when I get home.

Most of the page 2 functions are software so it is not likely you will encounter any issues there. You can turn voices on/off in page using the 8 program buttons. The Osc2 detune knob is voice detune in page 2, so check that out while in unison mode. An easily missed function is that you can adjust pulse width for each oscillator separately by holding down the pulse button while turning the knob for each oscillator you want to adjust.
#11
8th September 2013
Old 8th September 2013
  #11
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3

MikeBorish is offline
So let me get this straight. After a night of research and stress, I figured out that you are the guy that just bought my OB8 on eBay. You are avantgardeaudio.

Last week, you had a chance to buy an OB-8 for 2550 with one of the pan shafts broken off and declined because it wasn't in absolutely perfect condition. You spent one hour with it and couldn't find anything wrong with it but still didn't want to buy it because there were still some things that you didn't test??

Because the local seller misrepresented the totally insignificant broken shaft, you declined to purchase the OB8 and instead bought mine, without seeing it in person or playing it, off of eBay for 2150 with shipping included. You did not ask me one single question before you bought it now and immediately threatened to send it back if it wasn't working absolutely perfectly before you even got it. You spent god knows how many hours testing my OB8 and now you are absolutely adamant on sending it back and making me eat 350 in shipping as well as deal with transportation risk because the VCF attack knob is allegedly scratchy? Why me?

How am I supposed to deal with this? This really isn't sitting well with me. You got mine for 400 less and 2150 is a really good price for one that was working just fine when it left my house. Did you at least try cleaning the pot? Dougt, who also commented in this thread, might have an exact replacement that he could probably sell you for $10-20 even though there isn't anything wrong with it, it's just old and probably needs to be turned a few times. Furthermore, you can put just about any potentiometer in there because of the way that they are mounted and it really isn't that hard to do it either. I'm not sure why you told e-bay dispute that it is something that only a highly specialized technician can address.

I have an original second edition manual (with page 2 stuff) that I will send you if you leave me alone and don't completely screw me. The manual is a bit rough but it is all there and is still legible Why can't you just sell the OB8 it if you don't like it instead of screwing me?
Quote
2
m127f
Thread Starter
#12
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
m127f's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 739

Thread Starter
m127f is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBorish View Post
So let me get this straight. After a night of research and stress, I figured out that you are the guy that just bought my OB8 on eBay. You are avantgardeaudio.

Last week, you had a chance to buy an OB-8 for 2550 with one of the pan shafts broken off and declined because it wasn't in absolutely perfect condition. You spent one hour with it and couldn't find anything wrong with it but still didn't want to buy it because there were still some things that you didn't test??

Because the local seller misrepresented the totally insignificant broken shaft, you declined to purchase the OB8 and instead bought mine, without seeing it in person or playing it, off of eBay for 2150 with shipping included. You did not ask me one single question before you bought it now and immediately threatened to send it back if it wasn't working absolutely perfectly before you even got it. You spent god knows how many hours testing my OB8 and now you are absolutely adamant on sending it back and making me eat 350 in shipping as well as deal with transportation risk because the VCF attack knob is allegedly scratchy? Why me?

How am I supposed to deal with this? This really isn't sitting well with me. You got mine for 400 less and 2150 is a really good price for one that was working just fine when it left my house. Did you at least try cleaning the pot? Dougt, who also commented in this thread, might have an exact replacement that he could probably sell you for $10-20 even though there isn't anything wrong with it, it's just old and probably needs to be turned a few times. Furthermore, you can put just about any potentiometer in there because of the way that they are mounted and it really isn't that hard to do it either. I'm not sure why you told e-bay dispute that it is something that only a highly specialized technician can address.

I have an original second edition manual (with page 2 stuff) that I will send you if you leave me alone and don't completely screw me. The manual is a bit rough but it is all there and is still legible Why can't you just sell the OB8 it if you don't like it instead of screwing me?
Not sure what you are talking about. I actually declined an offer above from a long time member here (who the f are you btw??!) just because it was not local to me, and I wanted to test it personally before committing to buy.

A broken pan shaft is certainly something significant to me. If it is totally insignificant to you, well, that tells a lot about your synth ethics, and it is kind of a good thing to find out you are one of those ebay sellers not to buy from. Note taken! Did you sell an OB-8 that doesn't work properly??!!? LOL.

In my case, I decided not to buy the local OB-8 anyway, and instead enjoy a nice vacation, which is what I am doing, perhaps I will find something cool to buy here. I'd bid you good luck, but you made it clear you sell broken stuff, which is something that has been done to me several times in ebay (the reason I buy only local now), so whatever man. Next time don't let your stress screw your so called 'research.' Facepalm to you
Quote
1
#13
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,409

Stevism is offline
LOL fail
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.