Which synth to buy?
Costagero
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Which synth to buy?

I'm looking for a hardware synth to replace my PC+Soft Synths for live use, since setting it all up every damn time can become very annoying. Something with at least 3 octaves would do fine. As of now I generally make my sounds with Z3TA+2 and other software instruments for bread and butter keyboard sounds such as Electric Piano, Organ and Clavs.

I started looking for synths at lower prices such as the Alesis Ion and the SH-01 because I can't afford anything too expensive. Eventually I realized that maybe (correct me if wrong) I would struggle to get the basic keyboard sounds I mentioned with these synths, and found out that I was probably looking for a poor man's nord stage, which is way beyond budget but has that nice built-in synth, or maybe 2 keyboards, a synth and a preset one.

You could say I'm looking for a preset keyboard, but I'd really like to edit sounds and use them at the studio too.

Basically I'm looking for a polysynth for live use with at least 3 octaves, tweakable interface, electric piano and organ sounds, for no higher than $1250. Tips on this?

Thank you a lot!

Sent from my XT920
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costagero View Post
Basically I'm looking for a polysynth for live use with at least 3 octaves, tweakable interface, electric piano and organ sounds, for no higher than $1250. Tips on this?
I'd be looking for a previous generation workstation, where killer deals are to be found. For example, I think you could find a 61-key (5 octave) Korg M3 or Yamaha Motif XS in your price range. Or maybe one of the newer entry level boards, like the Korg Krome.
Costagero
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Thank you for replying!!

I think I would be paying for more than what I would use with those big workstations, and it seems you can't really do live synthesis with the Krome, right?
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

"Electric Piano, Organ and Clavs."

You can get a Nord Electro 2 for that price.
Get one.

They still sound unbelievably good and will fit your "editable presets"-angle perfectly. The good thing about this one is that you'll literally use everything in it.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costagero View Post
Thank you for replying!!

I think I would be paying for more than what I would use with those big workstations, and it seems you can't really do live synthesis with the Krome, right?
Yeah, probably overkill for your purposes. Nord Electro sounds like a sensible suggestion.
Costagero
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

The problem with Nord Electro is that it just offers minor editing. It would be very good to create my own sounds. It seems I'll go for a cheaper synth, probably the Ion, and try to elaborate convincing Rhodes patches and só on.

Thank you both very much!

Sent from my XT920
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

There's a lot to be said for the Waldorf Blofeld - pretty decent wonder box; interface is very minimal but there are ways and means of making it control-friendly (SL keyboard, Lemur templates, BCR). Decent keyboard if you opt for the key model or minimal space if you go desktop (key model has a decent space that should fit most laptops or monitors).
I'm by no means any kind of knowledgable in synths but there's a sh*t-tonne of info on this very forum about the Blofeld.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search