Subscribe
Jay-
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

How do you record the Alesis A6?

So I record the Andromedia with midi.
I fix the midi bloopers.

Iv noticed it never plays back the same if I touch a single knob.

even basics like ribbon and pitch wheel will play back at however its set at when I play back.

Its making it a direct to wav only instrument.

Is this a global setting or master clock hidden thing?
Oli
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

I'm not sure if I have understood your situation correctly. Are you saying that you record the MIDI from your playing/tweaking, but when you send that MIDI sequence back into the A6, it only plays the notes, but the other tweaks are not responded to?

Is there a MIDI filter in your system? Is the A6 set to not respond to incoming control changes/sysex?

As for the A6 playing back with current settings, you would have to explicitly reset any controls which you want to be in a different state from how you left them prior to transmitting your MIDI sequence. You could try using a program change at the start of the sequence.

Not sure if I understood you though ...
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear nut

Another thing is that the Andy's knobs send NRPN, not MIDI.

The Andy also has separate MIDI send/receive global parameters for the keybed and the controls. Your controls might be off while the keybed is on.

Just a couple guesses.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

You supposedly recorded the midi in your DAW. Did you see controller messages as well as the note on and note offs? Seems kind of basic to at least verify that you were receiving the midi from the A6.

Read the manual. Everything you need to know is on pages 256-258 of the manual. You do have the manual and tried to read it right? Get into Global mode from the front panel and select the "Midi" page. It is all right there. You almost definitely do not have midi transmission of the controls enabled if you really should be recording them but they don't show up.
Jay-
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks ill read and what was suggested. What's going on is play back plays the knobs last setting not where it started at song start. I'll work on this thanks!!!!! It's vexing at week 3 of Andy and I'm super grateful for the help like you have no idea.
Jay-
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

I checked and in global the midi looks ok. (See photo)

What happens is say I play a simple pad and its tuned to 440hrz and I move the OS2 knob, record that in nuendo 6, detune that patch to 800hrz write enable and record.

Now I play back that patch and the Andy plays it in 800hrz not the 440 sweeping into 800hrz.

Example im trying or attempting to describe the fact that the andy knob plays back in nuendo at what ever was the last position.
\
Ugg, I hope my lingo is understandable.

In the nuendo system prefs I unchecked Syx in midi filter, there no tix boxes selected.

However the OS2 knob does record the sweep! It just does not play back the sweep correctly. IT STARTS at where ever the andy is currently set.

Im trying to give full contrioll to the DAW.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you record the Alesis A6?-img_0986-800.jpg  
Oli
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

We still don't have the whole picture here, but it seems that possibly your DAW is not recording the sweep. You should be able to see the MIDI data represented in a track.

Can you upload a MIDI file of just the A6 part for this track?

Have you tried examining the signals in MIDIOx?
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Did you read the manual pages I referred you to? You need to go to the Panel page and check TXTHIN and TXMODE parameters. Set TXTHIN to DENSE and TXMODE to LOCMID.

As far as playing in the last knob position you need to send a program change message to the Andy to select the appropriate patch/bank combo first because that will bring up whatever is the programmed value. After that, you can automate whatever changes you make to the patch.
Jay-
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

thanks, I did read the manual. Also those settings are like yours.
When I play back I thought it was sending back the program change settings. Is that in MSB/LSB?

This is really the only two glitches Im having.

When I send out the patch change in Nuendo 6 it goes to card 3 every time.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you record the Alesis A6?-untitled.jpg   How do you record the Alesis A6?-capture.jpg  
Jay-
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

ill happily paypal $20 for any cubendo Alesis users template files.
Jay-
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

I wonder WTF im doing wrong!

To restate my issue, playing back ANY filter sweep in ANY daw starts at the current position of the knob on my Alesis A6.

Iv checked everything twice!
Yes it filter sweeps but not at all correctly.

One of you kind peeps give me a push in the correct direction!

I created a midi device in nuendo 6.
I messed with SYS and MSB/LSB (Even a little LSD!)

Im so close but still pure suckage!
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
As far as playing in the last knob position you need to send a program change message to the Andy to select the appropriate patch/bank combo first because that will bring up whatever is the programmed value. After that, you can automate whatever changes you make to the patch.
This should fix your problem.
Oli
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

I said the same thing in the first reply. Just think what is the current setting of the A6 when you start to play your sequence? It is the state that you left it in. You need to set the state before you start to make sound. Easiest way is usually to send bank/program change messages such that your patch is reloaded, in its initial state. Then you apply your changes, relative to that state. This is very common practice for MIDI sequencing.
Jay-
31st August 2013
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

thanks, is this the answer?

Planet Z • View topic - Cubase Program Change Answers

Lots of hex editing and MSB/LSB?

Just need to know where to start the research on sending a program change.

I thought it was as easy as selecting "Card program bank 5 "Pads" but that only changes the programs not banks.
Oli
31st August 2013
Old 31st August 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

I doubt you would really have to perform any hex editing as such. Generally you would send a bank change and program change.

You could try transmitting these changes from the A6, and examining them from something like MIDIOx, to see what is involved. You could also just record these transmissions at the start of your sequence.

I'm not familiar with your DAW, but many sequencers have functions available to help you with bank and program change commands.

This kind of thing might appear involved if it is new to you, but it's really not too hard, and it is something you may have to use a lot if you wish to sequence external gear.

Alternatively, you could initialise each individual control, instead of selecting the patch. However, that gets old fast, when you are changing multiple controls.

For some gear, I used to take a patch dump at the start of each sequence. That protects against the issue of losing the patch later, and helps to share sequences with other producers. The timing involved may not fit with a particular project. Also, you have to be sure that you won't run into issues with your gear receiving the sysex. Some sequences incorporated customisable librarians for this purpose.

I also suggest you read an introductory book on MIDI. I believe there is also material on line to cover MIDI as a general topic. Reading that kind of background information about the technology you're using will help to answer question that you hadn't known to ask. Not great fun, but may be beneficial, and save frustration in the long run.
Jay-
2nd September 2013
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

I removed the patch names and replaced with the banks patches and now everything works even the filter knob sweeps.

I used midi quest to get the patch names and apparently I failed.

I am going to miss the patch names!
2nd September 2013
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
I removed the patch names and replaced with the banks patches and now everything works even the filter knob sweeps.

I used midi quest to get the patch names and apparently I failed.

I am going to miss the patch names!

Spot on.

You don't need the patch names. It's faster to just use the Notepad in the Inspector for whatever you need as reminders.
You can record the A6 patch sysex dump in Cubase for actual storage, and only recall it when you actually need it.
Also, if you re-install Cubase or anything, the more eleborate, the more work.

Keep things easy.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search