For the last time where can I find deep/punchy kicks?
secretmountain
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

For the last time where can I find deep/punchy kicks?

Been looking for a legit sample library with deep, punchy, ready-to-go kicks for a minute, but haven't been able to find much at all. Gave up on trying to layer kicks as I lack the knowledge/skill, monitoring, etc. to do so. Please someone help!!!

Examples:

20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear nut

Hey the best way to get the sound you want is to import the track url your DAW and then find a section where the sound is playing by its self and chop it if the there is some spill from another sound you can gate it and use a little low pass filter

Sent from my HTC Desire
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Head

You can actually sample the kick from the beginning of that youtube clip if you don't want to search further.

Or you can search the forums. Maybe check out Vengeance essential house packs. Seems to me that's a really basic kick. Probably included in Live or Logic or even Garageband.

Giving up is not a good attitude if you feel you lack the skill / whatever to do things the way you want to.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

How about low-pass filters, EQ...compressors???
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear interested

I found Wave Alchemy Drum Tools 01 to be a great source of techno drums, check the demos.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

Giving up? Whats next you want ready to go synth melodies along with ready to go bass lines with ready cymbles and everything else.

You can get the deepest kick in the world from some sample pack, but it wont fit in your music. Create your own stuff. Layer kicks, compress them, put some filters etc', you lack the knowledge now but if you won't work your way up you'll never have it. No one is born with some crazy engineering skills, it takes time and a shit load of effort. My first track sounded like a fart, second one as well, 10 tracks in I suddenly see a tremendous change from the first one. Same will happen to you, train your ears do lots of trail and error and that's it. Equipment is only an excuse, you have people on this forum that own a laptop, a soundcard and a pair of headphones and sound amazing.

Once again, you can find a kick that sounds great on it's own, or in some track, you'll put it in your track and it will sound bad, you'll blame the kick? Learn.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can actually sample the kick from the beginning of that youtube clip if you don't want to search further
there are so many reasons why that is a bad idea

wave alchemy synthdrums or syncussion has many fat kicks, theres dozens of libraries which have the kind of kicks in those tracks...though you my find the real trick lies in how you mix a track around those kicks, no one wants to hear that though, no one wants to hear that it might take time, lots of time, knowledge ,skill, and a little talent.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

What DAW you use?
In Logic you can create really deep kicks with ultrabeat. In Live you get good kicks from Operator.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Synthesize them from scratch on an analog-style synth.

It's not as hard as you think, and once you get a basic starting template down, you'll be able to fully customize it in realtime, while your song is playing, with far more flexibility than working soley with samples. You can also always layer in some samples in if need be.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post

It's not as hard as you think, and once you get a basic starting template down, you'll be able to fully customize it in realtime, while your song is playing, with far more flexibility than working soley with samples. You can also always layer in some samples in if need be.
It's quite possible I've simply never owned a good synth for this, but at least according to my experience, synthesizing quality kicks with a standard subtractive synth is really difficult. The results often either sound like just a sine wave with a pitch envelope (which might be what you're looking for, but in reality often lacks punch and presence), or like a wet fart.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Honestly, regardless of the source, the tricks for kicks are as follows:

1. Layer
2. EQ

You probably have a dozen great sources for kicks already, be they samples, analog or plugins.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrolic View Post
Giving up? Whats next you want ready to go synth melodies along with ready to go bass lines with ready cymbles and everything else.

You can get the deepest kick in the world from some sample pack, but it wont fit in your music. Create your own stuff. Layer kicks, compress them, put some filters etc', you lack the knowledge now but if you won't work your way up you'll never have it. No one is born with some crazy engineering skills, it takes time and a shit load of effort. My first track sounded like a fart, second one as well, 10 tracks in I suddenly see a tremendous change from the first one. Same will happen to you, train your ears do lots of trail and error and that's it. Equipment is only an excuse, you have people on this forum that own a laptop, a soundcard and a pair of headphones and sound amazing.

Once again, you can find a kick that sounds great on it's own, or in some track, you'll put it in your track and it will sound bad, you'll blame the kick? Learn.

This.
I was long searching for really deep punchy kicks and snares myself until I just gave up. Instead I focused on programming better than ever before and on my production techniques. It paid off big time.
I now am able to create the most deep meaty kick drums I always wanted and then some. With the use of some great saturation and FX plugins its amazing what came out.
All with full control.
I went off further creating great bass and FX patches and more so ever since production wise I also got better in time.
I may be thinking of rolling it all into a Live pack at some point.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

You know, I haven't been on this forum very long but it is kind of ridiculous how many threads get started for where or how to get "deep, punchy kicks". Like, of all the things in dance music, finding good drums is just about the easiest and most fun thing to do - and certainly shouldn't require help from a message board. You like a certain kick in a tune? Go buy a lossless version of it and chop the damn kick right out of it! No one will ever know or care. Or buy any one of a thousand sample packs with those very descriptors right on the front. I'm sure you could steal them from the internet just as easily if that's how you roll.

I'm far from perfect and ask plenty of dumb questions here too, but c'mon people, have at least a little bit of dignity. Maybe just try to scroll down a few inches of screen and see that there are already several other inane threads about deep+punchy bassdrums. But the truth is you should just borrow, steal and experiment. That's how dance music has been working for decades and it really isn't that difficult if you try.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
It's quite possible I've simply never owned a good synth for this, but at least according to my experience, synthesizing quality kicks with a standard subtractive synth is really difficult. The results often either sound like just a sine wave with a pitch envelope (which might be what you're looking for, but in reality often lacks punch and presence), or like a wet fart.
If you're getting "wet fart" sounds, I'd say something has gone terribly wrong on the quest for a good kick.

I've used the ES2 synth in Logic to create kicks and ended up with great results that got used on many commercial releases. It's not just the synth though, but an effects chain that follows which always contains an EQ, compressor and sometimes a lowpass, resonant filter.

Ofcourse there are many cases where only samples of a real kick will do. Even in these instances, synth-generated sounds almost always get mixed in to provide additional body or lower frequencies.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Sometimes I use a sample from a hard landing on a 737..For real (used to work in the airlines)
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

you should stop making music right now, do us all a favor.
secretmountain
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
there are so many reasons why that is a bad idea

wave alchemy synthdrums or syncussion has many fat kicks, theres dozens of libraries which have the kind of kicks in those tracks...though you my find the real trick lies in how you mix a track around those kicks, no one wants to hear that though, no one wants to hear that it might take time, lots of time, knowledge ,skill, and a little talent.
Can you be more specific as to which ones from Wave Alchemy? I'm tired of shuffling out money on substandard sample packs.
secretmountain
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
You can actually sample the kick from the beginning of that youtube clip if you don't want to search further.

Or you can search the forums. Maybe check out Vengeance essential house packs. Seems to me that's a really basic kick. Probably included in Live or Logic or even Garageband.

Giving up is not a good attitude if you feel you lack the skill / whatever to do things the way you want to.
And use a kick that's at 64kbps? No thanks.
secretmountain
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post

No it is very hard believe me. And I don't like the idea of making drums from a synthesizer.
secretmountain
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

secretmountain
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
+1
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmountain View Post
For the last time, which packs? Be specific.
I'm pretty sure they offer free samplers/tasters of each of the sample packs so you can try them a lot out for the cost of creating an account. But, far and away the Synth Drums pack has garnered the most attention, at least 'round these parts.

I bought the Claps & Stacks set as well it's pretty nice but obviously not for kicks.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

bpm is a great, as is battery and kontakt
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Head

XFER Deadmau5

Sent from my XT555C
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmountain View Post
Can you be more specific as to which ones from Wave Alchemy? I'm tired of shuffling out money on substandard sample packs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson
wave alchemy synthdrums or syncussion has many fat kicks.
Wave Alchemy - Synth Drums. Damn it’s good!

Quote:
Waveformless Blog Review - Synth Drums
By: Tom Shear (Waveformless Blog) - 08/05/2013
Wave Alchemy is a developer I've really enjoyed watching grow over the past few years. They've always provided great sound quality and useful sounds, but what I like about them the most is that you can hear them continually getting better. The cynic in me keeps waiting to be disappointed by something they put out, but it hasn't happened yet. When I heard their new release was to be of nothing but synthesized drum sounds, I was a bit sceptical. Don't get me wrong... I love synthesized drum sounds and all manner of Teutonic bleeps and blorps, but often times these types of sounds are quite light sounding and less appropriate for modern styles of music. If anyone could do a convincing library of this type, I was convinced it was Wave Alchemy, but proceeded with a healthy dose of scepticism.

WHAT IS IT?

Synth Drums is a drum sample library that consists of drum and percussion sounds synthesized on 10 different classic synths: Roland Jupiter-8, Roland System-100, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Moog Minimoog, Korg MS-20, Arp Odyssey, Oberheim OB8, Roland Juno-106, and Roland SH-09. The sounds are then processed with a variety of high end outboard gear. 5900 samples in total consist of identical sounds in unprocessed, processed, and tape/vinyl variations. Mappings of the sounds are available in most major sample formats, although Logic EXS-24 is notably missing.

THE SOUNDS

Synth Drums is exceptionally well organized into folders for Cymbals, Conga & Bongo, Claps, Bass, Imaginary Drums, Exotic, Kicks, Snares, Percussion, Toms, Swells, Strikes, and Stabs. Many of these folders are further broken down into folders describing the characteristics of the sound. For example, the Kicks folder has subfolders for Snaps Clicks and Pulses, Knocks, Fat & Punchy Kicks, Deep Kicks, Classic Kicks, Almost Real, Unusual Kicks, Ultra Heavy Kicks, and Thumping Kicks. This is tremendously helpful if you're in the middle of a session and need to find a specific type of sound quickly. The fact that the sounds are provided in dry, compressed, and tape/vinyl versions is pretty awesome too and lets you choose from a variety of characters or add your own.

THE VERDICT

As I said before, I was a little sceptical of how useful these sounds would be for modern styles, but after playing with these sounds, I was completely blown away. Truly, I think this may be the best library Wave Alchemy has released so far. If you're familiar with Wave Alchemy, you know they have a reputation for excellent sound quality, and that is no different here. In fact, I think they raised the bar for themselves in terms of punchiness and clarity.

What is most impressive, however, is the sound programming itself. Yes, there is plenty of retro-sounding analog goodness, but there are just as many current and forward-sounding timbres. There is an incredible spread of sounds here and many were good enough to make me want to re-examine the percussive qualities of more than a few vintage synths I'd sort of written off for that purpose.

If you're like me, chances are you already have a million and one drum sounds. Even if that's the case, however, I'd encourage you to check this library out. The sound design is creative, the sound quality is beautiful, and once you start mixing, matching, and layering the samples, the possibilities become even more impressive.

Rating: 10/10
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear maniac

Metrum
secretmountain
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search