Some Effects Used in Electronic Music...
Old 15th August 2013
Gear interested

Some Effects Used in Electronic Music...

I hope I'm not posting a stupid/obvious question. I mainly write orchestral film soundtracks and now I'd like to get more into electronic music to blend both styles.

There are a few effects I hear very often in electronic tracks, but I have no idea how they're done. Here's an example:

Link 1
Link 2

I hope it's clear which effect I'm referring to (basically that noise shortly before the music gets more intense).
Is there a name for it? I would really appreciate if someone could explain a general approach, or post a link with an explanation.
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

It's called a stutter effect. There's various ways of achieving this. Not sure what kind of tools you currently own but there's a specific piece of software that's made for this. Izotope Stutter will do that and a whole lot more.
Old 15th August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
It's called a stutter effect. There's various ways of achieving this. Not sure what kind of tools you currently own but there's a specific piece of software that's made for this. Izotope Stutter will do that and a whole lot more.
Thanks a lot, this helps!
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Do you mean the synth sound, or the type of effect used?
Old 15th August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Do you mean the synth sound, or the type of effect used?
Both things.
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

It has been a long time since I have been there, but Nick Phoenix (half of Two Steps From Hell) posts at the EWQL forum. I had a question some time ago and he was very helpful.

Other than Stutter Edit some VST effects would be Camel Audio's Camel Space, Sugar Bytes has several glitch plug-ins, LFO Tool by Xfer, FabFilter Volcano, Native Instruments The Finger... Many DAWs come with equivalent effects. What DAW(s) are you using?

This effect can also be done at the "synth" level using a multi-segment envelope, LFO, or step-sequencer/arp modulating the amplitude. Alchemy, Omnisphere, Zebra, Absynth, Massive, etc...

This effect can also be done by removing sections of the audio manually using cut and paste functions or by drawing in automation for volume levels.

Granular time-stretch is also similar. Check out Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch, or some Reaktor ensembles...
Old 15th August 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

About the other noise, do you mean the high pitched sounds?
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
Other than Stutter Edit some VST effects would be Camel Audio's Camel Space, Sugar Bytes has several glitch plug-ins, LFO Tool by Xfer, FabFilter Volcano, Native Instruments The Finger... Many DAWs come with equivalent effects.
And if you just happen to have an old Virus TI around the house somewhere there's always Atomizer.
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

phaser reverb cutoff automation white noises etc
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaineAudio View Post
phaser, reverb
A phaser with high feedback or a tight space reverb with a lot of diffusion/feedback. Omnisphere and Absynth have "metal pipe" models that make that granular stretch sound convinent to do. Reaktor's SpaceMaster reverb can get very metallic sounding too. Ableton comes with a similar "resonator" fx module as well (along with beat repeat and granular delays).
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search