Anybody ever had expeirence with ADS in North Hollywood for synth repair?
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

Anybody ever had expeirence with ADS in North Hollywood for synth repair?

Ok here is the deal. I have a Kawai K5000S that spits out random midi date and its screen backlight no longer functions but you can still read the screen in room light.
So do have it up for for cheap because I thought about not bothering repairing it. I was considering taking it to Greg at Audio Rehab in Burbank and then I found this place ADS in North Hollywood and this guy named Norik . Has anyone had experience with his place or him? His labor rate is below Gregs( $100 an hour but billed in quarter hour increments) Audio design service labor rate is $60 an hour. Both have bench fees Gregs is $50 Norik is $40 Noriks bench fee is non refundable if you don't have do the work. I am not sure about Greg. Norik says he has a way to fix the backlight easily.
The main thing here is trusting who can do the job and get it right without breaking the bank.
This is why I am asking ahead of time. I have had experiences where synth techs did not fix the item properly and don't want to wind up in that situation.
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

I would avoid greg, just pm'd you my experience w/ him. I am also interested in this as a voice just died on my Jupiter 6 and am looking for good tech in LA I can trust with it.

theres ed miller who i heard good/bad things about and i cant find his website anymore; ive been eyeing ARS and Virtual Sound Technology. There also this guy who fixed my ARP ; good guy; who does out of his garage in the valley who was cheap and did a good job. His repair service is called busted gear. and there is advance musical electronics I've heard the most terrible things about.

Cant find any info on ADS, do they have a website?
Old 31st July 2013
Gear nut

i bought a k5000 from a guy who said the screen backlight was out. turned out it wasn't a problem at all - the k5000 has a setting to dim or brighten the backlight and i just turned it back up.
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfin View Post
i bought a k5000 from a guy who said the screen backlight was out. turned out it wasn't a problem at all - the k5000 has a setting to dim or brighten the backlight and i just turned it back up.
Yes there is contrast setting you can brighten or dim. But there is also a backlight that is blue. This is what am talking about without it in dimly lit room you cannot read the data but in room light you can still see the parameter data readout which is controlled by contrast and is separate.
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANZ KAFKA View Post
I would avoid greg, just pm'd you my experience w/ him. I am also interested in this as a voice just died on my Jupiter 6 and am looking for good tech in LA I can trust with it.

theres ed miller who i heard good/bad things about and i cant find his website anymore; ive been eyeing ARS and Virtual Sound Technology. There also this guy who fixed my ARP ; good guy; who does out of his garage in the valley who was cheap and did a good job. His repair service is called busted gear. and there is advance musical electronics I've heard the most terrible things about.

Cant find any info on ADS, do they have a website?

Ya I talked to Busted Gear they actually have a website. They are $95 an hour and have a $60 Bench fee. He has a pretty good clients list.

Of course JL at Musictech did too but he left Musictech and I stopped going there. Are they even still around?

Also here is ADS's website

// Welcome: Audio Design and Service //
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search