Man of Steel World Engine sound
Old 30th July 2013
Gear interested

Man of Steel World Engine sound

if you've seen the man of steel, whether you like it or not

i love that sound they use for the world engine... it's so unique and powerful and it's got this ominous alien sci fi tech feel to it

sounds like a good amount of distortion, some sort of complex panning-like effect,

not sure if fm synthesis is involved or not...sounds like it might be

Zod's World Engine Sound - YouTube
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

I haven't seen it (though I would like to) and I have no idea what they used just judging from that short clip. But if you like making sound effects, my experience is that you shouldn't restrict yourself to synths alone. Real sounds - anything from door creaks to truck engines to animal noises - are essential for good sound design.
Old 30th July 2013
Gear interested

that's a good point, restricting to synths alone certainly is limiting

i was able to get a decent replica of the sound though, you can check it out here...

Man of Steel World Engine Sound - Recreated - YouTube

it feels a bit more harsh and dirty compared to theirs but i don't know if that's cause i'm too lazy to clean it up or if my tools are a little more low-end than theirs
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know about how to recreate the sound itself - but i can tell you this: i've been to the movie yesterday, and it is one of the dumbest movies i've seen, generally speaking. Not even a drop of humor. And what happened to the whole suspense behind the question wether lane will know if Clark is Superman? And endless, repetitive, pointless fights. I don't believe how this is connected to Christopher Nolan. Such a potential,and such a shame.
Sorry for the rant. I just waited so long for this movie, and it was such a waste of time...
Old 1st August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I don't know about how to recreate the sound itself - but i can tell you this: i've been to the movie yesterday, and it is one of the dumbest movies i've seen, generally speaking. Not even a drop of humor. And what happened to the whole suspense behind the question wether lane will know if Clark is Superman? And endless, repetitive, pointless fights. I don't believe how this is connected to Christopher Nolan. Such a potential,and such a shame.
Sorry for the rant. I just waited so long for this movie, and it was such a waste of time...
-nope, not dumb
-there is humor, but i typically despise ridiculous/childish slapstick humor as in iron man/avengers
-who cares whether lane knows who clark is? is that really suspenseful to you? it's not that important
-it's amazing people can be so outspoken against this movie... yet love movies like avengers etc... all those other action flicks bore me to death... man of steel was one of the first superhero movies that did it right

but this is not about whether you like man of steel or not
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kde1ta View Post

i was able to get a decent replica of the sound though, you can check it out here...

Man of Steel World Engine Sound - Recreated - YouTube

it feels a bit more harsh and dirty compared to theirs but i don't know if that's cause i'm too lazy to clean it up or if my tools are a little more low-end than theirs
You're missing the big legato swipe down to the lower register... I think you have the slide up pretty nice but it's totally missing the slide down and the bass.

There's a few ways of doing this sound I've found... one using the pitch bend wheel, one using legato glide, and one using an lfo on the osc pitch. As long as you can modulate the pitch to slowly slide up and then slam down it all has the same effect. Have an independednt LFO on the filter cuttoff or wavetable with a bit of key modulation so that the wobble becomes faster as the pitch gets higher. It's a nice sound, after the movie I spent some time myself trying to make something similar.
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I agree.

Not going into why the film was a complete fail for me but, I did like the sound design.

In answer to the ops question, I like your effort. The original sound from the clip has panning modulation. Sounds like a modulator modulating modulator to get that auto pan. It's not just a simple sine wave doing the pan.
Old 1st August 2013
Gear interested

Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

There's a lot of layering, and as others have said there is some acoustic sound sources in there.

As far as the pitched content is concerned, that sounds like a granular synth to me. You can get these sounds out of different engines in Reaktor or Alchemy, if you're willing to sit down and experiment.

Or... you can do this - feed a sound from a synth into the DAW, try to get something that has a timbre and pitch close to what you're hearing in the clip. Take a short section of that sound and use a time stretch function to really stretch it lots.... depending on the algorithm used, the stretching samples parts of the existing waveform and recreates them in "grains" (or something like that), spreading the sound over a longer duration. This gives that really eerie, synthetic, digital effect. Re sample that sound, and then you can speed it up, slow it down, change its pitch, etc.
Old 1st August 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Layers, pitching down by octaves, time stretching.

Film started well, but then it just lost all depth and he suddenly just became a confident superman, rubbish. Good scenes though, I love how he destroyed so much stuff and no one even commented. I thought it was quite clever at how the end it showed him becoming CK rather than something more powerful, clearly paving the way for the next films..
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

I liked the film, felt more like sci-fi than a superhero movie; and thank god for that, I really really dislike superhero movies. Not perfect, but it's another much needed change of style for the franchise.
Old 1st August 2013
Gear Head

[QUOTE=kde1ta;9281164i love that sound they use for the world engine... it's so unique and powerful and it's got this ominous alien sci fi tech feel to it[/QUOTE]

Doesn't answer your question, but here's a link to featurette on the sound design process for the film: ‘Man of Steel’ Sound Design Featurette
Old 12th January 2014
Gear interested

The sound of the world engine firing up definitely perked my ears. I wanted to recreate it so I fired up my Virus this eve... 10 minutes later and with a little dramatic help from NI's Damage I felt as if my furniture was rising with each key press then slamming down upon release... I <3 Sound design
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search