So I boost the low end of a kick
New Reply
Subscribe
Oden
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

So I boost the low end of a kick

And the result, besides the bass boost is a high pitched ringing sound which is added to the kick sound. However, there are no upper harmonics. I have heard many tracks that suffer from the ringing when the electronic kick thumps, so I recon most here can relate to what I am describing.

Can someone explain the science of this phenomenon and also, is there a way to get around it? We all want that low end boom, but that ringing can be annoying.

I know that equalizers ring/smear transients depending on the impulse that is used. But I don't understand how this new frequency forms and how it doesn't show up on the FFT.

I haven't been able to find even one thread regarding this issue which makes me a bit suspicious. Perhaps it's just my ears distorting, hopefully not.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Guru

Never heard high pitched ringing on a low sounding bass drum.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear interested

Not sure about this but could the ringing be coming from the filter resonance being on the verge of self oscillating? I find this when creating synth drum sounds on my SH09
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear interested

Blown up monitors?
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

ear drums knackered?
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Banned

sounds like damaged speakers, or the toycars on the shelf are ratteling?
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Speakers?
Oden
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

I tried to produce a clip of this effect. When I exported the file out of my DAW and listened to it (while the DAW was running) the ringing was gone!

Seems like it's some sort of driver issue. No wonder the harmonics didn't seem to be there. I always wondered why only electronic kicks had this problem. It was just my laptop, which I most often use to listen to electronic music.

My guess is that it's actually Jitter. But I swear that I have heard it before on other (cheap) systems and outside of my laptop as well. So much that I apparently thought it was normal... How silly of me really.

So, next question is, how do I get rid of it? Is this a common problem on consumer audio "interfaces" and their stock drivers (or perhaps it's the windows drivers at fault here)? I didn't even know drivers could produce something like this, although obviously I am still not certain.

EDIT: Yup, it's the wave out driver that causes the ringing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Speakers was the first thing that crossed my mind as well, but I have used multiple different headphones as well as speakers and all of them had the same problem. I think I have even had this problem on multiple different laptops, maybe that's a fluke or perhaps I am just going crazy.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

My first guess was that it was maybe a node in your room that was causing it, it's not uncommon in an untreated room to hear a resonant ringing from certain frequencies, but you seem to have it figured out so nevermind!

However, I've never heard of any audio interface introducing that much of an artifact. I don't see how a software driver could introducing harmonics to a sound that weren't there to begin with. Are you maybe getting a feedback loop or something?
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear addict

I have a similar issue on an older laptop. Eee, eee, eee.... Thought it was its speakers but it could be WAV out.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
I tried to produce a clip of this effect. When I exported the file out of my DAW and listened to it (while the DAW was running) the ringing was gone!
Have you been handling any cacti, mushrooms or amphibians?
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Yes, I'm thinking mescaline.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

My guess is that you're playing back a kick drum file with a higher sample rate resolution than the project settings, causing aliasing. There could also be some upsampling involving in whatever you're using to process the kick, many plugs can do this - testing with the fx off would clear up if those are it or not.

(or it's toad licking, sure)
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

did you export as an mp3? if so then what kbps? the lower the kbps the more high frequencies get cut
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
did you export as an mp3? if so then what kbps? the lower the kbps the more high frequencies get cut
At first this crossed my mind, but then I exported the sound as wav and the same thing happened.

It's not aliasing 60hz waves don't alias with normal sample rates.

I will investigate this a bit more and report back.
Oden
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Cubist View Post
Yes, I'm thinking mescaline.
Now that would be an entirely different discussion which has absolutely nothing to do with the matters at hand. But musician has to do what he has to do to get that creativity advantage, right?

Okay, with 20hz sine wave the worst ringing seems to be located at around 4khz. It's either beating or there is some frequency modulation as well. Any ideas what this could be and how can driver possibly cause it?
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Had the same issue on my HP elite book. Drove me nuts, as i couldn't find anything in the internet regarding this issue.

Deep in the driver menu, the driver was set to 48kHz (super quality or whatever).
The ringing i got was the bad realtime downsampling to 44.1 in the soundcard. Set it to 44.1 and the ringing was gone. Took me half a year to figure out.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear maniac

Than what?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search