Design your perfect synth!
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Design your perfect synth!

I'm sitting here thinking damn! My new (to me) Jupiter 8 is (almost) my ultimate synth! Discrete oscillators, my favorite Roland filter switchable from 12db/24db, super fast envelopes, I'm in love! But what else could I possibly ask for?

But be economical! Know that you'll have to pay for this beast.

So lets invent the perfect synth for you! Like a create-your-own pizza...

Polyphony: (1, 2, 8, 16, 128)
Oscillators: (discrete, CEM, SSM, DCO, Digital, samples)
Osc functions: (Single, Dual, sync, crossmod, etc.)
Waveforms: (sine, pulse, saw, supersaw, square, noise etc.)
Filter: (Moog 24db, Roland IR3109, OB 12db, Roland TB, Arp etc.)
Filter functions: (Self osc? LP, HP, BP, N.)
Envelopes: (ADSR, looping etc.) (1, 2, 3)
LFO: (1,2,3,) (waveforms, delay, etc.)
Keybed: (piano, synth action, drum pads, rack only, 24-88 keys)
Controllers: (Ribbons, joystick, mod and pitch wheels, pressure, vel, Midi, CV)
Presets: (none, 64, 1000, dual mode, multitibral)
Special Stuff: (ring mod, feedback, effects, distortion, arp etc.)

Go...
Old 21st July 2013
Gear maniac

This is probably not what you had in mind but my perfect synth would be a Yamaha EX5 with added 6op FM from the SY77/99 and the AN part increased to 10 voices and a more powerful processor (the processor in the original EX5 is not very powerful).

The result would be a 'beast' with VL, AN, FM, AWM2 and sample RAM+Flash all in one box with the possibility to create patches that combine any of these synth methods in any combination.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Polyphony: 16

Oscillators: Discrete Jupiter 8 oscillators

Osc functions: Dual osc with cross mod, hard and soft sync, FM.

Waveforms: I basically love exactly how the Andromeda is set up with fully mixable sine, tri, saw, sqr (PWM), each with a sub and 4 colors of noise. Add in a supersaw and the minibrute's metalizer to the tri. Pre/post mixer like Andromeda.

Filter: 2x self osc multimode filters (lp, hp, band, N) 1. classic Moog 24db and 2. Roland IR3109 (12/24db) with a switch to turn the Roland filter to TB303.

Envelopes: 3x 7 stage super fast analog envelopes with looping. (amp, pitch, filter) Set up just like Andromeda, but sounding as fast as Jupiter 8.

LFO: 3x from ultra slow to audible osc range. Same options as Minibrute with ramp up/down, sine, tri, square, S&H with a smooth knob to go from square to sine edges.

Keybed: 76 key synth action, multi-pressure, velocity.

Controllers: Nord Lead Vibrato Stick, Kurzweil K2600 ribbon, mod wheel. Foot: Sustain, 2x CC.

Midi: CC for every button and knob.

Presets: 1000, 16 part multitibral like Andromeda. 16 full monosynths.

Special Stuff: Ring mod, Feedback, Roland Juno 60 Chorus, analog distortion, built in REAL tape delay for pre/post filter. REAL spring reverb. Analog Maestro Phaser. Pan modulation like Andromeda. 16 voice unison with detune like Andromeda. Stereo Audio Input for filters. User editable math functions for mods and controllers like Kurz K2600. Portamento with last note for solo.

Whew, ok I think that does it. Basically the sound of the Jupiter 8, the layout and features of the Andromeda, Nord's Pitch Stick! Minibrute's nastiness, Kurzweil's crazy tweaky math. And built in classic effects that can be modded with the LFO's and Envelopes etc.

Your turn..
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

P.S. For me this would be a studio machine so all sampling, digital stuff would be done in Logic with Kontakt, FM8, Reaktor etc. I love digital synths and effects, I'm just fine with my computer handling that stuff.

Also Arps and sequences. Let Logic handle it.
Old 21st July 2013
Gear maniac

Something that has the option to insert any vst plugin at any stage of the signal process, it should also be able to have the ability to play a sample (being a looped cycle or one shot type sample) in place of an oscillator. It should have an analogue filter and have oscillators as a mod source. The rest doesn't really matter too much.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
This is probably not what you had in mind but my perfect synth would be a Yamaha EX5 with added 6op FM from the SY77/99 and the AN part increased to 10 voices and a more powerful processor (the processor in the original EX5 is not very powerful).

The result would be a 'beast' with VL, AN, FM, AWM2 and sample RAM+Flash all in one box with the possibility to create patches that combine any of these synth methods in any combination.

This.

I have an ex5r and an fs1r so I guess it's similar.
Old 21st July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Special Stuff: Ring mod, Feedback, Roland Juno 60 Chorus, analog distortion, built in REAL tape delay for pre/post filter. REAL spring reverb. Analog Maestro Phaser. Pan modulation like Andromeda. 16 voice unison with detune like Andromeda. Stereo Audio Input for filters. User editable math functions for mods and controllers like Kurz K2600. Portamento with last note for solo.
I think you're pretty much describing a Solaris except for the "discrete analog" part.

The best thing about not cramming everything into a single box is that you get lots of freedom w.r.t. combining stuff. Having a Space Echo in a separate box means you're not out of an entire synth if it breaks down/needs the tape replaced.

A balance is struck when you find out how much you use from a given set at any time.

I'd already like it if some synths could have a degree of computer integration where patches could be automatically sampled - like, you're building a complex patch on a monotimbral monophonic synth, hit "resample", and the synth's going to work for a while so that each note is automatically sampled at several velocities with high-quality built-in conversion. After it's finished the job (of course, with a real analog synth it'll have to do it in realtime) you can pull out the SD card or find a folder full of .wavs or .aiffs on your desktop and directly play with that, polyphonically.

Of course, it'd take a while to do that, so an option would be to have a bitimbral, duophonic synth (still not breaking the bank) and have one part set to "render offline" while you continue playing/tweaking with the other.

It't take quite a bit of effort to integrate that but it'd be interesting.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Hardware Granular Synthesis, with the ability to draw in your own wave shapes.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

IMO, there are plenty of great synths out there - instead, I'd love to see a proper, knobby effects module - with huge realtime control and all sorts of tricks thrown in. I'm thinking something akin to a collection of the best pedals, but in a synthy form factor [i.e knobby 4-5U tabletop, rather than a 1-2U rack with a data jogwheel and some buttons]...
Old 21st July 2013
Gear interested

No synth would put a bigger smile on my face than a new dual manual 16-operator FM synth from Yamaha. Where have all those cool dual manual synths gone?
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

the V-Synth and the Solaris are two near perfect expressions of my dream synths.

and as stated above, an EX5 with a bit more power would be great.

honestly the only other thing I would really enjoy is a second generation Physical Modeling synth, but I have little hope of ever seeing that in hardware. speaking of which, I am very excited about the soon-to-be announced sequel to Aalto from Madrona Labs which is based on PM.
Old 21st July 2013
Gear addict

A Microwave XT, basically, with four wavetable scanning oscillators per voice instead of two, capable of complex DX-style FM. And a couple of bipolar, multistage envelopes with clock sync and looping in place of the ADSRs.

Analogue schmanalogue, says I!
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _seph View Post
the V-Synth and the Solaris are two near perfect expressions of my dream synths.

and as stated above, an EX5 with a bit more power would be great.

honestly the only other thing I would really enjoy is a second generation Physical Modeling synth, but I have little hope of ever seeing that in hardware. speaking of which, I am very excited about the soon-to-be announced sequel to Aalto from Madrona Labs which is based on PM.
Everything you just said +1
Old 22nd July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Someone already has, bit pricey though..

Stick one of these with it and no one would ever hear from me again, maybe have a whip round?

Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Go...
MORE of everything, and all analog except the digital-only domain stuff!

I want a cockpit INSIDE the synth.

Plz.
Old 22nd July 2013
Polyphony: all the polyphony
Oscillators: all the oscillators
Osc functions: all the oscillator functions
Waveforms: all the waveforms
Filter: all the filters
Filter functions: all the filter functions
Envelopes: all the envelopes
LFO: all the LFOs
Keybed: rack mounted with keyboard addon pls
Controllers: all the controllers
Presets: NO
Special Stuff: all the special stuff

oh hey sounds like a modular synth
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear maniac

an hardware (analogue/digital depending on the component) Diva would be quite nice.
Old 22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

I dont think the perfect synthesizer works, I think a proper question would be "what is your perfect set up" I think it's a collection of synths that work best. do you want to play everything on one computer at once?
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear addict

Jupiter 8 = equals near dream synth = cliche
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
I'm sitting here thinking damn! My new (to me) Jupiter 8 is (almost) my ultimate synth! Discrete oscillators, my favorite Roland filter switchable from 12db/24db, super fast envelopes, I'm in love! But what else could I possibly ask for?

But be economical! Know that you'll have to pay for this beast.
I had the same feeling when I got my Jupiter-8. I could wish for more features, but the control panel is pretty much full.

My ideal Oberheim would be the OB-X with the following changes:
- Extra knob in the oscillator section: filter-envelope-to-pitch amount. Makes the oscillator sync more useful.
- Extra knob in the filter section: keyboard tracking
- The former "track" button would become a switch to enable band-pass mode
- Bender box, split/dual keyboard, and styling of OB-Xa/8
- Availability in two, four, six, or eight voices, with the ability to buy more voices later on
I hope Tom Oberheim can make this a reality before he dies. I would get my OB-Xa fixed up and sell it for this.

My ideal Moog would be the Voyager keyboard poly-chained with three RMEs.
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Head

I don't have to design my perfect synth because:

1. As a tool different synth have diffferent purposes. There is no one perfect synth.

2. Someone who has the time and enjoys creating synths already does this. I like to create music (not synths).

3. Spectrasonics already created Omnisphere. (and Stylus Rmx, and Trilian.)
Old 22nd July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
I don't have to design my perfect synth because:

1. As a tool different synth have diffferent purposes. There is no one perfect synth.

2. Someone who has the time and enjoys creating synths already does this. I like to create music (not synths).

3. Spectrasonics already created Omnisphere. (and Stylus Rmx, and Trilian.)
Hmmm.

"Hi, Sailor, what kind of things would you like to see on a Battleship?", sailor replies "I just like being on the water"., R&D guy writes "mentally challenged" on sailors sheet and moves on..
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear maniac

JD-800 with 128 voices, vintage synth card expansion, 512 patch memory, and a super nice keybed like my Motif XS6.
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Korg Trident MK3 (Polytron 3)

5 octaves weighted
3 big fat juicy VCOs
More waveforms on 2nd/3rd VCO, more mod routing between Oscs and filter
large Patch memory
Midi
Same front panel capabilities as 3 Polysix's
Phaser/Chorus/Delay

Visually in this form:

Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Im not asking for much, just a combined Novachord and prepared Grand Piano with CV output to a modular wall of snacks?
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

I want:

Oscillators that go go beyond your normal set of waveforms, I want oscillators that can behave like the "complex oscillators" you get in modulars. So thinks like a wide variety of waveshapes and cross modulating FM and AM.

Multiple LFOs with different waveshapes that I can send anywhere and go right into the audio range.

I also want to be able to use the oscillators as LFOs, and I want to be able to send them anywhere.

Same for envelopes, multiple envelopes I can send anywhere.

Filters that do LP HP and BP, Notch would be nice but I'm not so worried about that.

and chorus, chorus is always good.

But most of all...

I'd like my Prophet 12 to actually turn up.
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
Im not asking for much, just a combined Novachord and prepared Grand Piano with CV output to a modular wall of snacks?
Now THAT sounds damn tasty!
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees
Multiple LFOs with different waveshapes that I can send anywhere and go right into the audio range.

I also want to be able to use the oscillators as LFOs, and I want to be able to send them anywhere.

Same for envelopes, multiple envelopes I can send anywhere.
And once you can send all this stuff anywhere, why don't you send it to me?
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Head

All of the above frankensteined together & mounted in a Louis XXIV style cabinet.

So basically a modular in a posh antique enclosure I guess.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search