Subscribe
foodeater
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

New Moog Modular

UPDATE:
Mini mooger fooger?
Moog Music Forum • View topic - Minifooger?

-----
OLD:
No(t yet), but showing our support can't hurt.

The Foogers are great, it seems they just need some ergonomic tweaks.

I really like the path Moog has been taking lately and I'd love to see n hear their current philosophy applied to a modular environment.

Mod Mooger Fooger?

-Replace the foot switch with an input jack to turn it on and off via CV at audio rate. (gate out when turned on?)

-Move inputs and outputs to the front.

-Make wood end caps optional separate purchase.

-Add a multiple and toggle if it's pre or post - that is does it get shut off when bypassed or not.

-4 Sub phatty style quick recall preset buttons.

-animoog module!

From there:

Box (with wood end caps! ) to hold and power 6 (9? 12?) modules. Contains 8 global presets with CV and MIDI controllable manager that stores and recalls the preset settings of the individual boxes. Some utilities & I/O options. Offer a discount/rebate/free cables to people that buy enough individual boxes to fill it.

Call the box ONE - One Mod Mooger Fooger. I know Moog likes the silly names, happy to help. Whomever can think of the best acronym for ONE wins one?
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear Guru

Synthesizers.com has that market covered.

While they made Modular 55s until 1981 (according to Wikipedia) I can imagine that it's not something they want to get back into; the university market where you could build stuff to order has gone (and even then it'd be more cost-effective to go Eurorack, something Moog would likely never want to do). Doing build-to-order for customers would lock them (consumers) in a single manufacturer ecosystem (and if you see the variety of modules modular owners have you also see that this is also not a viable option).

Then there's the same problem Roland has. So people are shouting for Roland to re-release the 303. But what would the Roland brand add to that new 303? Not much. I trust anyone who's obsessive over following the old schematics over the original manufacturer because the obsessive is driven by passion and the original manufacturer is driven by continuity and profit. Now, I wouldn't want to compare Roland and Moog in that regard; Roland would not be above releasing a 303 where the insides are a (badly) modeled VA based on the JP8000's DSP or something.

The new Moog sound is different from the old; see the various comparisons of Voyager vs Model D and Little Phatty vs Source etc. It's not worse - but recapturing the glory of those older machines relies heavily on being obsessive compulsive about parts and board layout. Simply put, you just can't sell a variable-waveform oscillator like the one in the Voyager as the new incarnation of a 901 from 1964 or so.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

If Moog just made some nicely formatted modern modules available to purchase new and hopped on the new modular market, they would make so much money. People would overpay ridiculously for the moog name and look in their favorite modular format, even if they didn't get the sound the same as the original.

Individual module purchase is the key thing here. Not many would buy a new age system 55, but moog releasing a line of compatible modules would make a huge impact on the modular market.
Synths: Arp 2600, OBX, Matrix 12, Rhodes Chroma, Prophet 5 R2, Minimoog D, Serge, Tereshkova, CwejmanS1Mk2, Jupiter 4, Syncussion, Tempest, MonoPoly, Burnkit606, FR777, Prophet600, SX240, MKS70, Moog Prodigy, TX816, MS20mini, MS2000, Ion
FX: Eventide H7600/Space/Timefactor, Culture Vulture, Ebbe & Flut, BiPhase, RE-201, TC Fireworx, MOOGERFOOGERS, SE-70 x2
Dyn/Pres: UA 4-710d, BL Auteur, Overstayer VCA/FET/ID4, dbx160XT x2
A/D: D&R Orion X, Apollo Quad, 2x UAD-2 Quad PCIe's
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

It's pretty much the same as they did with the moogerfoogers and the 500 series pieces.. Just take the concept and stick it into a popular modular format, Moog! They would see a huge return on technology they already have if they released individual ADSR, VCA, Ladder Filter, etc. modules in eurorack or 5U or what-have-you format with the moog branding and look.
14th August 2013
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear

I'd be all for it but, there is tons of folks making Moog clones now, along with greatly expanding the types of modules available. I'm sure I've forgotten some companies and these are only the ones that make modules that look similar to exactly like the Moog modules, there are many others that use their own panel layouts etc.

Synthesizers.com

CLUB OF THE KNOBS

Moon Modular

Mos-Lab

Oakley modules by Krisp1

Synthetic Sound Labs

STG Soundlabs

SYNTH-WERK

Marienberg Modular

MegaOhm

Grove Audio

Cyndustries

Happy Nerding
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Septik:
Nice keyboard rig. :D
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Kinda misleading thread title.
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

I think that they would have a place in the market too- even for just putting out a few modules, rather than a whole system.

Despite all the clones, I agree that people would love to get a Moog module or two for their system.

If they did a .com and euro format ladder filter and maybe an oscillator module for starters, they could really test the water with it.

The 500series filter seems to be a step in that direction.
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

would like to see a spring reverb fooger, perhaps the mysterious MF-106 ?
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Che View Post
would like to see a spring reverb fooger, perhaps the mysterious MF-106 ?
You sure you really want the MF-106...?
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Roland will release a new analog and Moog will release both a digital synth and an analog polysynth before that happens.
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Moog have modular? ,no? they have oscillator and filter?

oh just the filter and delay:

Moog Music Inc

----

Might i question why you want moog modular? moog is pretty much known for east coast style synthesis, which IMHO monosynths do significantly better. I think modular is most interesting for west coast synthesis methods... I think it's more a pain in the ass to set up a patch if you're doing a relatively simple patch(how complex are you going to get without a 12 rack modular with standard subtractive?) and take it down vs load on a hardwired synth...

Moog is boring as hell too, I dont think Moog is good for large range of sound, but rather a great sounding limited range....

https://soundcloud.com/hal3001
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

as i said, i would like to be a reverb, thats all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
You sure you really want the MF-106...?
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 View Post
I dont think Moog is good for large range of sound, but rather a great sounding limited range....
You're not trying hard enough
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001
I dont think Moog is good for large range of sound, but rather a great sounding limited range....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
You're not trying hard enough
I would tend to agree with The Real MC!
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

Well compared to other modes of synthesis, it's rather limited in tonality, there are tons of usability tones in Moog which might be absent in other forms of synthesis though. II was able to come out with a ton of sounds out of my Minimoog, but for modular I would not go Minimoog, I think The minimoog is the perfect aspects of a moog modular...Maybe that's what I was trying to say?

I just believe there aren't many routings beyond for the perfection that is the model D...
foodeater
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Kinda misleading thread title.
Ha. I was trying...

@yoozer
I agree about the dotcom in terms of old Moog...

I think new Moog is doing very cool work especially with digital integration. That's likely never going to come to euro in a meaningful way because the market is so split. Even if one brand did it, none of your other modules would.

Compare it to modern Buchla with presets? That's a very high price, but seems to be doing okay. Decent excitement for the new easel. Voyager XLR with slots for modules?
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 View Post
Well compared to other modes of synthesis, it's rather limited in tonality, there are tons of usability tones in Moog which might be absent in other forms of synthesis though. II was able to come out with a ton of sounds out of my Minimoog, but for modular I would not go Minimoog, I think The minimoog is the perfect aspects of a moog modular...Maybe that's what I was trying to say?

I just believe there aren't many routings beyond for the perfection that is the model D...
I would agree that a Minimoog can probably give a majority of people a majority of the sounds they need to produce for Western culture popular music more quickly a majority of the time.

A Minimoog can only scratch the surface of what can be done with a true modular though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search