MIDI Routing with KiwiTechnics Patch Editor and multiple HW synths?
UltimateOutsider
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

MIDI Routing with KiwiTechnics Patch Editor and multiple HW synths?

I purchased a KiwiTechnics Patch Editor to program my Roland MKS-50, MKS-70, and MKS-80 rack units, since I don't have the original hardware programmers for any of them.

I have been unsuccessful, so far, getting the Patch Editor to communicate with the devices as I had hoped. All my MKS units are connected to MOTU USB-to-MIDI interfaces. I have a Roland A-49 keyboard controller connected to my DAW PC via a USB hub. I am able to play the Roland keyboard and trigger all of the MKS units in my current setup. However, my Patch Editor does not seem to be communicating with my devices when hooked up to the MOTU interfaces. I am including a diagram to my current setup. It shows the current USB and MIDI routings (blue = USB, red = MIDI in/out). The Patch Editor is connected to in/out ports on the MOTU Micro Lite. I want to be able to use the one patch editor to program any of my three target MKS units, but I've not gotten it to work yet through either Ableton Live 9 or Cubase 6/7.

So my question is: How do people have their MIDI and/or USB set up when using the Patch Editor with multiple MIDI instruments? I'd like to avoid MIDI daisy-chaining if possible. At the moment, routing the Patch Editor through the DAW doesn't appear to be working like it does with keyboard controllers.

Picture of my setup:
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

as far as i know, your midi keyboard should be connected directly to the PE, which you would then connect to your midi interface.

this is how mine is setup (i.e. midi kb -> PE -> midi patch bay -> synths) which works as it's supposed to
UltimateOutsider
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsound View Post
as far as i know, your midi keyboard should be connected directly to the PE, which you would then connect to your midi interface.

this is how mine is setup (i.e. midi kb -> PE -> midi patch bay -> synths) which works as it's supposed to
Hmm, so you are basically doing a MIDI-to-MIDI connection through the patch bay I imagine, not MIDI-to-USB-to-MIDI like I am with the current setup (from the PE to a synth). I was hoping I'd be able to get what I need without additional gear (all my rack slots are full).

Other than my MOTU interfaces, the only other piece of MIDI routing stuff I have is a Roland MPU-104, which is an input selector... that could maybe cover the synth-to-PE route, but not PE-to-synth. Hmm.
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm using a PE with a MKS 50/70/80 with Cubase 7 just like you. I have everything connected in/out to a single Midex 8 midi interface/patch bay. Everything works perfectly, you do not need to set it up direct as suggested above. Sounds like you need to check through your menus/setup. Make sure the PE/MKS/Cubase are all set up on the right midi channels.. Make sure you're ports are setup correctly in Cubase. Very importantly, make sure Sysex Filtering is turned OFF in Cubase and on your MOTU.
UltimateOutsider
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

As an update, Murray from KiwiTechnics suggested I just use MIDI Thru to daisychain my synths (and set them each to different channels).

I will try doing it through Cubase again, just because that's the one method that won't require me to crawl behind the racks and trace cable runs for three hours.

If that doesn't work out, I managed to find a Roland MPU-105 output selector which would let me route PE MIDI out to any target synth I want as needed (and wouldn't really be a hardship because I multitrack all my HW synth parts anyway, and never need to play more than one synth at a time).

I do have a question, though- something not covered on the KiwiTechnics site or the PE manual: Is there ever a reason to need Synth MIDI OUT to Patch Editor MIDI IN?

I have a Roland PG-10 for my D-110, for example, and it requires 2-way communication.

EDIT: Answering my own question- according to Murray, I don't need to worry about MIDI IN on the Patch Editor. Just MIDI OUT to the synths.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search