Login / Register

How do I get this steel drum/tom drum sound that The Knife uses?
New Reply
Subscribe
Lake Radio
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear interested

How do I get this steel drum/tom drum sound that The Knife uses?

I have been searching and searching for a way to recreate this sound for some time now. At this point, I would even use a sample or a preset. I just need this steel drum sound. Can you help me figure out a way to get this sound? It is driving me crazy.

The Knife used this sound extensively in their live show, and you can here.

The sound starts at 1:07.

They actually use it throughout this whole concert which you can watch here.

Now, it sounds like a mix between a tom drum and a steel drum. It's one of the most beautiful things I have heard ever and I would love some pointers or guidance on how to go about recreating it. Even if someone could identify what the sound actually is, so I can search for a sample.

Anyone willing to help me out? Thanks in advance.
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Guru

My Studio

Embedding Youtube videos should be the entrance exam for GS. Let me fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Radio View Post

The sound starts at 1:07.

They actually use it throughout this whole concert which you can watch here.
I think it's not a drum - the decay lasts too long. However, you could probably use physical modeling of percussion as a starting point (it's got this PM string-like character to it).

On the other hand, the sound reminds me a bit of the bass sound (not as bright though) in Berlin's "Take my breath away" and that was just a DX7 with chorus.

The fact that he's using a percussion controller has no relation whatsoever to the sound - those pads just send MIDI notes with velocity as well, so you can map 6 rubber pads to only those notes you need - and if that's all you have to play, then it works.

What synths (soft or hard) do you have?
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

i noticed it was berlin too, didnt see the comment, its exactly the same,

heard its an mks70 patch, f2
Lake Radio
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Embedding Youtube videos should be the entrance exam for GS. Let me fix it.

I think it's not a drum - the decay lasts too long. However, you could probably use physical modeling of percussion as a starting point (it's got this PM string-like character to it).

On the other hand, the sound reminds me a bit of the bass sound (not as bright though) in Berlin's "Take my breath away" and that was just a DX7 with chorus.

The fact that he's using a percussion controller has no relation whatsoever to the sound - those pads just send MIDI notes with velocity as well, so you can map 6 rubber pads to only those notes you need - and if that's all you have to play, then it works.

What synths (soft or hard) do you have?
Oh, yikes, sorry if i embedded it wrong, I should have previewed my post before I posted it. Good point about it not being a drum, I am listening to it again, and you're right. It does sound like the Berlin tune, I imagine The Knife might have drawn an influence from it. It also is reminisent of the Twin Peaks theme,. Although, I am pretty sure that's just a bass guitar, but it has the same feel.

I have no hardware, just a bunch of softsynths. I've got the Korg Legacy Collection, Aalto, Absynth, FM8, Massive, Glass Viper, Albino 3, Synth1, TAL Bassline, TAL Noisemaker, and TAL Elec7tro-II. As well as everything that comes with Ableton Live 8.
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Definately has that FM bass vibe about it. I've loved those types of tones ever since the 80's when DX7's ruled.

If you are on PC I can recommend Loftsoft FM Heaven. It can load all the DX7 sounds - you can get thousands of free ones on the net, including the Yamaha factory sounds that most people used. I think it sounds way more like the originals than Native FM8 etc.

FM synthesis lends itself to naturally dissonant tones like bells and plucked strings and membranes etc. Analog with a ring mod gets into similar territory. The factory FM sounds have heaps of bass that sounds like percussion and percussion that sounds like bass etc. They are VERY responsive to velocity - and remember that early DX7s only had 100 levels of velocity, so values over 100 can sound really nasty. To get the fat bassy tones you need to keep velocity very low - or tweak the patches to responds less. And DX7s were mono, and responded to analog processing like a real instrument.

I would guess The Knife have created samples, probably from FM8, and loaded them into their pad. If not, there are plenty of modules or sample libraries that have these FM bass sounds. The real thing is much more responsive than samples though.

I can't recommend the old FM boxes because they are so old and unreliable and noisy. Good software can nail these tones, and process them with good analog to get the fat 80's tones we are used to hearing. Analog tape still rules in those days - so don't expect the raw ITB tones to do it justice.
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear nut

What is Olof using for playing that sound live?
Some kind of drum trigger?
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Guru

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverberation View Post
What is Olof using for playing that sound live?
Some kind of drum trigger?
If there's a clear shot of it in the video, we can try to spot what it is; but I'm guessing that there are no cameras on stage.

The video's from 2006. That narrows things down but not much. SPD-20? Could even be a HandSonic. Anything'd do the job.

As for the sound: see also:
"Take my breath away" bass patch?
dx7 fretless bass patch like in this track?
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear nut

4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

they pretty much use elektron products exclusively so take your pick there. Monomachine probably
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search