Weird AN1X problem
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

Weird AN1X problem

Dudes

I just bought an AN1x from Ebay, locally for cash.

It's in great condition overall, and the guy I bought it from says he's just installed a new battery.

When I first switched it on, the patch names on the LCD where messed up nonsense. I performed a factory reset and now they're clear and legible.

The issue is that there's a loud popping and clicking from both the headphone and audio outputs, and at random the synth resets itself.

The power supply is non standard and rated at 12v/500ma. The standard Yamaha one would be rated at 12v/700ma, although he claims to have been using this PSU fine for a while.

I can easily take it back for a refund, but if there's an easy fix I'd like to keep hold of it as it really is in fantastic condition, although I would like to be armed with some facts if I do return it to him.

Thanks
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

I'd try getting the proper power supply first. If the popping and clicking remains, take it for a full cleaning of internals and outputs.

One stupid thing though - did you try using different sockets in your room/house?
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

I have tried different sockets and it makes no difference.

I've found on google that there is an inherent bug in some models that can produce popping and crackling noises, but it doesn't mention the power reset problem so the PSU is possibly the culprit still.
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

Yep, that's why I'd go with the PSU. Try to replace it with the one that's up to spec.
Old 30th June 2013
Gear Head

Try saving your patches as single scenes rather than dual (both lights lit). When you are playing, you can toggle both scenes on for morphs, etc. However 'saving' the patch with both scenes lit and powering on the unit into one of those patches tends to generate the buzzes and clicks you described.
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yep, that's why I'd go with the PSU. Try to replace it with the one that's up to spec.
Got one on the way so fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
Try saving your patches as single scenes rather than dual (both lights lit). When you are playing, you can toggle both scenes on for morphs, etc. However 'saving' the patch with both scenes lit and powering on the unit into one of those patches tends to generate the buzzes and clicks you described.
I had read about that, but the power resetting was a little more troubling.

I'll try the new PSU and see how I get on.

Thanks
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search