New Reply
Subscribe
binman_uk
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thoughts on remixes

All,

I'm doing a remix at the moment (first one I've ever done).

I quickly realised that it's quite easy to make a remix that sounds nothing like the original, so I'm wondering how far people usually stray from the original? How do you feel about adding extra sounds / percussion / strings etc that weren't in the original track?

Just after some people's thoughts and general ramblings really

edit: ooh i've reached to the 1000 post mark!
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

It's a fine line between being too close to the original so the remix is pointless, and wandering so far that the original is unrecognizable.

Either way, the point of the remix (imo) is to either better the original and stay within the same style, or take some elements of the original and form them into something new. Just changing the tempo a bit, adding some extra percussion and some FX is not enough.

But, there are no rules really. Do what you want. Just remember to either bring something better or something fresh on the table.
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

cheers mate.

my thoughts at the moment are... to chop up the bassline/riffs and make it my own (sounded like a completely different tune when i did it last night). sounded great though imo.
then introduce a few elments of the original to make it recognisable. i want to put my own stamp on it.

first time i've used ableton's sampler though. had loads of fun with it and a step sequencer. ill have to keep my s950 and have a proper go with it.
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Geariophile

If you are being asked to do a remix, they basically want binny vibe on there. So I would make it like any other track you make, except you use any bits/parts/chops you like from the original's separates to build parts from.

If there's a riff that's recognisable from the original that you like, great, use it in some form. If there are vocals, maybe chop something contorted out of it that makes a cool riff. Some remixes obviously are full vocal, i.e. you get a dj intro, then more or less the original structure and then some added stuff, but if you are being asked as said, they want what you do, and hence f*** the vocal (if there is one). At best a snippet I'd say.

In any case, do binny and use their separates as food. Done.
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post

my thoughts at the moment are... to chop up the bassline/riffs and make it my own (sounded like a completely different tune when i did it last night). sounded great though imo.
Sounds like you're doing the do. Bet it'll rock.
binman_uk
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

cheers guys
msl
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I always strive to keep the feeling or essence of the original, but always add my own sounds, esp drums and perc. You need to find the correct balance of original sounds so there is a obvious connection to the original, easy if there's vocals...

I've had remixes done for me that hardly used any of the original sounds, whats the point, I told one guy he should go release it under his own name as a different track... its just lazy in my opinion.

I really try hard to get the balance right when I make a remix, and try and use as many of the original sounds as possible. You want to interpret the original while adding your own flair to it...

https://soundcloud.com/michaellovatt/black-power
michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I thought remix meant add a hoover.
binman_uk
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
I thought remix meant add a hoover.
what if there's already a hoover in it? do i detune them?
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013

Just put the other one in a bass trap.

I think it's good to add some extra sounds as long as it keeps the main message/story.

You probably won't like these, but they're a good remixs, imo. Keeps the feel right and then adds a lot more.

Original

Remix

Original

Remix

28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013

Or something a bit more Techno.

Both these are remixes, can't find the original.

Those are just three tunes I think are good remixes, they are all pretty different from the original in some way, but also keep the main story/message. Maybe helpful, maybe 10 minutes of your life you're never going to get back.
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

the more I get paid the farther I get from the original
rjx
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
rjx
Lives for gear

If you're doing this for a client, ask what they want / expect. If you're doing it for yourself, do whatever YOU want.

The brain is a creativity computer. You just need to know how to manipulate your software to make it work for you.
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I done a remix for someone a few years ago, they gave me all basic parts like sequences etc, but told me to basically put my own stamp on it, as he didn't want it sounding exactly the same or anything remotely like it.
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
I've had remixes done for me that hardly used any of the original sounds, whats the point, I told one guy he should go release it under his own name as a different track... its just lazy in my opinion.
Sounds like the opposite of lazy to me.
msl
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot View Post
Sounds like the opposite of lazy to me.

No, I've done loads of remixes and had loads done for me. Its easy to make an original track, there are no constraints. Whats hard is improving a track, giving it more oomph while retaining the sound and feel of the original...

28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
No, I've done loads of remixes and had loads done for me. Its easy to make an original track, there are no constraints. Whats hard is improving a track, giving it more oomph while retaining the sound and feel of the original...

That'll highly depend on who you are, me thinks.......some are one way, some the other way round.
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

There is a definite correlation between how much I paid for a remix and how far it strays from the original. I have spent 1000 euro+ on a few remixes where I can't find a single sound from the original.

The reason is simple - the remixes where people want to remix my stuff or my label stuff for no upfront fee - they hear something in the original they would like to use. The remixes where I have hired someone for a fee often involve the remixer having no particular affection for any part of the original - as long as they get paid they are happy. On the opposite end of the spectrum, sometimes I have gotten remixes back which are no much different to the original at all.

I think there is a happy medium to be reached - the key message for a remixer is to reinterpret the original and take it in a new direction. It's cool to hear a remix, while knowing the original, and being able to think 'wow...I see what they did there with the parts...nice'
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

You can be as creative as the client allows you.
msl
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
It's cool to hear a remix, while knowing the original, and being able to think 'wow...I see what they did there with the parts...nice'

+1

binman_uk
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

thanks for your thoughts guys. exactly the kind of feedback i was after.
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
add you to it.
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Gear Head

If it has vocals I tend to only use the vocals with some chopped up other parts but that's it.

Sent from my SPH-L710
30th June 2013
Old 30th June 2013
rmj
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
the more I get paid the farther I get from the original
better still have that tight Invadrrr! low end...how by the way do you get that?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search