Dubstep: What am I Missing? Educate Me!
New Reply
Subscribe
verve92
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Dubstep: What am I Missing? Educate Me!

Ok. As many of you know, I can't stand dubstep. Can't take it.
But being the open minded guy hat I am, perhaps I'm missing something. Maybe its me. Am I listening or being played bad dubstep?? I turn to you.
When I say open minded I mean it. I played in a Death Metal band and a Prog Rock band, Jazz and recently switched to electronic music. I listen to Beethoven to Slayer and everything in between even some Country music. I am eclectic I have a long history of listening to it. From JMJ to Kraftwerk to BoC to CBL and Solar Fields to Deadmau5 to American Dollar to GAS to Sundial Aeon, list goes on.
Post me some GOOD dubstep. I'm talking the Led Zeppelin of dubstep. The Rush of dubstep. Well produced examples of it. Guys who have invented the stuff or have brought it to another level. Not examples of watered down "used to be good" stuff
Now I understand that there are more subgenres of it. Purity is not too much an issue. I will leave that to you all.
Give it to me. GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!!!!
Ibanez Artcore A85 JazzBox, Ibanez SZR720BB, 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1981 Gibson ES-335, 1986 Fender JapStrat.
Effects:
Roland RE-201 Space Echo, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Analog Stereo Chorus, Digitech RP-1000 MFX
Amps: Fender HR Deluxe 112, Peavey KB100
Recording:
Zoom HD16 Hardware Recorder, Cubase 5, Yamaha HS50m Monitors
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Can't help you there. Not a fan of it either. File under dumbed down EDM.

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Last edited by Risc_Terilia; 27th June 2013 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: ballsed up the links
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear maniac

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Last edited by Risc_Terilia; 27th June 2013 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: added a tune
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Head

maybe i can shed some insight? back when i used to dj a few years back i was really into dubstep. it was different and the "wobble" accented the bass in perfect soul matey kinda way, i liked that it was hectic and intence, like crack or electronic punk or something. i would close my eyes and imagine giant transformer robots fighting each other to the death. i enjoyed it. and that lasted about 6 months, then i got sick of it because it ALL sounds the same. now i mostly find it annoying aside from a few tracks that carry memories. if you REALLY want links i can post a few, but my advice? dont bother. the guy above me hit it on the head. its not deep well written/produced music, to be fair a lot of edm isnt, its a simple concept that is meant to drive energy into a broad demographic on the dance floor. that concept: everybody likes bass and dubstep is bass. so if you really want to broaden your horizon and like/accept dubstep dontlisten to it. grab a giant subwoofer and feel it, or a few red bulls and dance/spaz to it.

also prog-rock is cool. dont stop.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werechild View Post
maybe i can shed some insight? back when i used to dj a few years back i was really into dubstep. it was different and the "wobble" accented the bass in perfect soul matey kinda way, i liked that it was hectic and intence, like crack or electronic punk or something. i would close my eyes and imagine giant transformer robots fighting each other to the death. i enjoyed it. and that lasted about 6 months, then i got sick of it because it ALL sounds the same. now i mostly find it annoying aside from a few tracks that carry memories. if you REALLY want links i can post a few, but my advice? dont bother. the guy above me hit it on the head. its not deep well written/produced music, to be fair a lot of edm isnt, its a simple concept that is meant to drive energy into a broad demographic on the dance floor. that concept: everybody likes bass and dubstep is bass. so if you really want to broaden your horizon and like/accept dubstep dontlisten to it. grab a giant subwoofer and feel it, or a few red bulls and dance/spaz to it.

also prog-rock is cool. dont stop.
Sounds a lot like you're talking about brostep mate. Please post some tunes so we can see what sort of music your talking about.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
Can't help you there. Not a fan of it either. File under dumbed down EDM.
You also probably mean Brostep and not Dubstep. (Or maybe post-dubstep?)

Can't really file proper Dubstep under dumbed down EDM as it has more feel and soul that 98% current EDM™.

I'm not a fan of Dubstep as to me it's just downtempo music, but i do respect good Dubstep producers. To me Proper™ Dubstep is more Dub than Step :D

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Guru

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Vex'd Degenerate was my first dubstep CD and it's where i first heard wobble bass.

This track was fresh back then, but now the sound and style have been raped to death:

Vex'd has absolutely nothing to do with Led Zeppelin :D
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Vex'd Degenerate was my first dubstep CD and it's where i first heard wobble bass.

This track was fresh back then, but now the sound and style have been raped to death:

Vex'd has absolutely nothing to do with Led Zeppelin :D
Yeah that' '05 style was amazing, it's as if people try to copy it without actually understanding that there is actual thought put into these tunes and not just the crayon scribbling that a lot of these brostep tunes seem to be. It's like looking at a Lichtenstein painting and trying to recreate the style by repeatedly thrusting at a piece of paper with a crayola.

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear maniac

Check out anything by Burial.....his ALBUMS are incredible listening music in a more downtempo vibe but closely aligned to original dubstep. Also checkout Scream and Benga's earlier stuff (Midnight Request Line etc) stuff from the Hyperdub label and Kode 9. That's all top drawer dubstep that's generally 6-8 years old. Rustie however made an amazing album last year though. Check out my mate Morgan Zarate too he's but some stuff out on Hyperdub that's pretty forward sounding.

I've been in London and watched the scene grow and then be destroyed by the 'wobble Olympics' it started as a way more soulful deeper vibe. It's from Croydon which is just out of London and developed alongside Grime which is a similar vibe and tempo but with MCs and more from East London.

Personally I think the term EDM is stupid and dubstep (bro-step) has been turned into nu-metal. A lot of people seem to think Scrillex invented it/pioneered it. He is to dubstep what Whitesnake were to rock music......
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
Personally I think the term EDM is stupid and dubstep (bro-step) has been turned into nu-metal. A lot of people seem to think Scrillex invented it/pioneered it. He is to dubstep what Whitesnake were to rock music......

Agreed on every point.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Try some Burial.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear maniac

Yeah like some people have said. Just check out Burial. Figure out what dubstep actually is and decide if you like it.

I'd say start with his most recent EPs, Kindred and Truant/Rough Sleeper. They're extremely removed from what the average Joe calls dubstep and quite excellent.

From there go back to Untrue, get a taste of what dubstep was before Rusko ruined it and if you still need more check the self titled debut and other EPs.

Beyond Burial I'd just recommend getting into grime as none of the other stuff comes close to his work. Dizzee Rascal is the best starting point for grime IMO.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear maniac

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear nut

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

Oh, I forgot Shackleton. You really want to check his stuff and the Skull disco label. Top stuff.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear addict

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You also probably mean Brostep and not Dubstep. (Or maybe post-dubstep?)
Probably. I'm in the US. The electronic music scene here has been mostly dismal since the end of 90's.

Quote:
Can't really file proper Dubstep under dumbed down EDM as it has more feel and soul that 98% current EDM™.
Agreed, most current EDM is shit.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear nut

Hey guys look who i just discovered. He's going to be big one day, or wait what???
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Probably the most misunderstood bastardized genre about.

That Loefah track I posted has more in common with stuff like Surgeon than Skrillex.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Link in my sig
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Asipiring Audio Wizzard

27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Head

Bro Step like Skrillex is a bastardised version of dubstep and is ok in small doses and in the right place.
Dub step like the vid below is amazing on a loud sound system out side on a summers night.

As someone has already put, dub step is more dub i.e. bass heavy and sparse in arrangement, not much wobble either.

Tempa is a good label to check out.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Am I the only person on this planet who just doesn't get the fascination with Burial? No offense to his many fans, but I find his music incredibly boring and I just can't understand how he has gained such widespread appeal and a god-like stature among some of his fans.
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Head

When I think Dubstep, I think of the original stuff by Rusko. Its all there the deep Jamaican Dub vibe, the UK Garage two-step. He actually did "real" Dubstep.

Other artists to look at are Benga, Scream, Hatcha, and Oris Jay. Those guys all really pioneered the sound among others. Really a large majority of the stuff you hear marketed nowadays as Dubstep...is NOT Dubstep.

Sent from my SGH-T989
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search