It's a bad time to buy 2nd hand gear, Oz slutz.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

It's a bad time to buy 2nd hand gear, Oz slutz.

Well, sort of.
There was an article in today's newspaper with Gotye.
It talked about his success with "Somebody that I used to know" (selling 5 million copies in the US, and number one in 46 countries)
At the end they asked what he was spending his royalties on:
"I'm spending on my studio and Ebaying fiendishly, buying rare synthesizers and drum machines. I'm building a techno geeks's lair"

So be careful, this is one guy that you don't want to get in a bidding war with!
Old 24th June 2013
Half of his royalties are spent on paying for Luiz Bonfá's "Seville".

Probably the most expensive minor chord on acoustic guitar, ever.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Yes I remember reading that. What an easy way to make a fortune!
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

You and I gotta admit. Its everything I don't listen to, but still a great song.....
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
So be careful, this is one guy that you don't want to get in a bidding war with!
If no one knows his Ebay user name how are they supposed to know if they're bidding against him or not ?

I suspect he's not the only person you wouldn't want to be in a bidding war with. He can't be the only synth collector in Australia with a bit of cash.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Between this and falling Aussie dollar, I feel certain I won't be buying on ebay for a while.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
If no one knows his Ebay user name how are they supposed to know if they're bidding against him or not ?

I suspect he's not the only person you wouldn't want to be in a bidding war with. He can't be the only synth collector in Australia with a bit of cash.
Yes, I was half joking of course, you could not know you were bidding against him.
I guess I was just thinking what an incredible position he is in. He's come into huge money, and can basically buy any piece he desire's, in the knowledge he can write it all off anyway. It's a gear slutz dream!
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

REALLY??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Half of his royalties are spent on paying for Luiz Bonfá's "Seville".

Probably the most expensive minor chord on acoustic guitar, ever.
Did he just sample that?
Wow. I'd given him more credit than that. hahahhaa
Old 24th June 2013
It's a nightmare, for all the "less is more" and "when I still had crappy gear I made much better music because I had to push harder" mantras you hear here every time. Not to mention the army of techs you'd probably need on standby.

Plus, the pressure's on now - Making Mirrors did well, but now repeat the trick, and better, oh yeah - and in 2 years max, otherwise everyone'll have forgotten.

I've been to one of those synth geek dream studios and it was a sobering and humbling experience. Not something for the faint of heart; it takes quite some discipline to not get lost and distracted completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl View Post
Did he just sample that?
Wow. I'd given him more credit than that. hahahhaa
See https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/gotye/ - a good part of his music is sample-based. There's a Moog Voyager OS in the studio - I think it got used for some basslines. Actually, I don't think you should subtract credit points (State Of The Art samples in a far more recognizable way); the sampling's done tastefully and usually in a clever way.

I have no problems with the sampling, but it's more like - why would you even keep that sample in there? I mean, it's strumming a D-minor chord on an acoustic guitar. You can't copyright a single chord and a simple groove like that. If he would've asked someone else to play it in the same tempo, he wouldn't have to pay a cent.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Im not so sure he thought it was going to do as well as it did.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

If you buy at the right time/price (ie: not usually eBay) most of these old synths perform better than stocks...a more secure investment than making another record, actually.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Since he has been compared to Sting or Peter Gabriel, it's not rare synths he should invest in, it should be a Synclavier or a Fairlight.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Since he has been compared to Sting or Peter Gabriel, it's not rare synths he should invest in, it should be a Synclavier or a Fairlight.
Yeah, if I was Australian, I'd be all over some of the mid 90s Fairlight stuff right about now. I've seen some stupid cheap ebay listings, and there are still techs there to work on it too.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Don't worry too much about the Aussie dollar it is doing its Gold index just before Fiscal end and will return like Gold in August. Same ol pattern
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear
That "baa baa blacksheep" tune gets too easily stuck in my noggin and I HATE it! Whiney drivel. Oh well, good luck to him.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

right on, collect 'em all
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe now he'll be able to make a good song with all of the new gear he's collecting.
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

You don't want to get in a bidding war because you don't want to bid at all! And that's because you don't want to buy on eBay since there is so much good, brand new stuff around!
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

The common lets make a new disc that is better than the last, but now I will make everything more calculated, more expensive, more elaborated and somewhere along the way the original magic is gone.

I hope not, GoatEye and Adele have both make me believe in the future of music again. Music that is based on talent, based on a melody and lyrics people sing along to and still not sell their soul in a plastic prepackaged wrapper. Most of whats in the top lists today lacks most of what is commonly associated with music, just keeping rhythm and some kind of taling, screaming, wailing repeated ad naseum.
Old 24th June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

It doesn't matter, ebay is full of bellends that think £10 less than new on a £500 rrp item is a good deal.
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, sort of.

Thanks for the warning Michael! I guess I'll hold off on buying that Moog Voyager on ebay a bit longer, lol
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Thanks for the warning Michael! I guess I'll hold off on buying that Moog Voyager on ebay a bit longer, lol
You should be okay, he's already got a Voyager.
In fact he will probably put it on ebay and upgrade to the gold version.

Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

Oh..well good on him Nice $5000 persian rug in his studio too. He must be loaded.

I just checked out the song/video. Wow, that was an ordinary song, I'm amazed he did so well with it. Musta learned some good youtube marketing from Chris Lago.

Cool video, though it reminds me never to do stop motion body painting (see how the girl jerks in an unpleasant way at the end when the paint is coming off).
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, wow, over 400 million hits!
I've gotta get his marketing team for my Youtube video's.
My best one has only 2000 hits. They probably need more body painting though.
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

Lol, I like your stuff more.

I just read he took out 6 Aria awards for that song, and its regarded as `one of the most successful songs in Australian music history"' (wikipedia).

Is it just the PMS speaking or is the bar pretty low here in Oz?
Old 25th June 2013
Gear interested

Can't say I'm a big fan of his stuff but I'm obviously not his audience anyway. Good luck to him though, the stuff he'll be bidding on will be way out of my price range anyway. It's not what you own but how creative you are with it. I worked on a track for a label that was the fastest selling debut single of all time (back then) and it was recorded for a few hundred bucks in a kids bedroom.
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Lol, I like your stuff more.

I just read he took out 6 Aria awards for that song, and its regarded as `one of the most successful songs in Australian music history"' (wikipedia).

Is it just the PMS speaking or is the bar pretty low here in Oz?
I think the bar is pretty low everywhere.
I actually think the song is okay, but it just got played to death.
And I like the fact that a quirky track recorded in a barn in country Victoria won the Grammy for song of the year. That's pretty funny.
I still really like "Hearts a mess", that's a cool track/video.
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still really like "Hearts a mess", that's a cool track/video.
I like it too. The video and music are both very creative...I really appreciate the work that goes into animated clips..and that animator Brendan Cook is really good.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search