New Reply
Subscribe
Appleby McFriday
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Gear interested

Programming drums like Hecq / Trifonic / HTDA

Hey Everyone!

I'm just looking for a little help with programming drums and ideas for improving my workflow.

I have recently been listening to a lot of Hecq, Trifonic, HTDA and was wondering if you guys have any tips on how to program/edit drums to get similar sounds? (Particularly the sounds on Hecq's 0000 album).

I know a lot of time-stretching/manual editing is used but I'm sort of wondering how you guys go about getting those sounds? (I'd prefer not to use a plugin like dblue or anything because it never quite gives the desired result.)

Do you start with a simple beat, bounce down each individual instrument (ie; kick, snare, hi hats, etc) on seperate tracks and then just edit the shit out of it and time-stretch certain points to get that "granular sound"? Or do you do your stretching etc in your VST/Drum machine and bounce your whole drum track?

Also, when working with samples/ VST instruments do you guys do your sound design first completely messing with your samples until you have some interesting sounds and creating your own sample library to work from or do you prefer to work inside your DAW creating your sounds while you're constructing your song?

If you guys can give me any advice, point me in the direction of books, tutorials anything like that, I'd really appreciate it!

Also, if anyone has any stems or anything that I could possibly take a look at so I can get a feel for how many tracks you're using how each individual instrument sounds etc, etc that would be freaking AWESOME!

I'm using Cubase 5 (Considering making the move to Live 9 if you guys recommend it), Battery 3, FM8 and Reaktor.
Thanks,

Dan.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the post. Never heard of Hecq. Really good music.

On the production side you are approaching it backwards. Get some machines and see what music they want to make.
You don't really set out to make great experimental machine music with your head.
Buy an Octatrack and bend the hell out of it, play some synths over the top. Forget rules. Make your own. Feel the music. Do something different. Find your own path in the land of happy accidents.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Gear nut

Trifonic has a production blog where he talks a bit about his approach. Also, the producers version of Ninth wave goes into some detail.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Gear interested

Yeah, Hecq is an absolute genius! I fell in love with him about 2 years ago when I heard his Nightfalls album.

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it! Keep em' coming!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search