Gear interested

mfb
25th June 2013
Old 25th June 2013
mfb
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiswhat View Post
Quick question im trying to record my boss dr550 mk11 drum machine ... especially the 808 and 909 ones, are hardly audible and very weak. just wondered if anyone might know what is happening as they all sound fine when i listen directly from the drum machine so is it either the cable or interface which is causing the problem? Cheers
The DR550 likely has some level control for each sound, usually for a natural sounding kit you don't want everything at 11. For the purposes of recording them, you need to find this control/menu item and maximize it for each sound.

(Just in case it will save you some work, here Dr. Drum - Sampleism: snacks for your samplers is a sample set of mine from the DR660, successor to the DR550, with all the samples nicely maximized for you and available as wav files. Not free, but hey its only 3 quid).
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiswhat View Post
Hello cheers for the reply, Yeah ive checked the levels on the machine and its all fine. Somewhere between it going into my interface and into logic some of the sounds are losing quality and level
Have you checked the stereo location of those sounds and made sure you're recording in 2-channels stereo? Sounds like some of those sounds might not be recorded in stereo "properly" (full L and full R) and so you get those "ghosting" low level sounds. Check the panning of the sounds that come out at low level - if they are panned to the same side, there's a good chance that's it.. Otherwise, check the connectors to make sure they make good contact, try different known-good cables, check the settings on the drum machine, the audio interface, and Logic

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search