600 dollars for EDM
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear interested

600 dollars for EDM

Hello, I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this has been covered someplace else.
I am really trying to start producing some IDM/EDM and I am hoping to get some gear. I have just about zero knowledge of DAW's but I want to get a controller before I decide to dedicate to learning any specific one. I do have Logic 8, but I am intrigued by Ableton and Massive. I really like Nu Disco, Future Garage and Deep House. I have a Novation Twitch, an Akai LPD8, a M Audio Trigger Finger and a Novation Nocturn 25. I have 600 dollars to put something togther and here's what I had been thinking.

I was planning on getting an Ableton Push. However after further consideration I saw I could get a Maschine and launchpad and still have over 100 dollars left over. That would give me access to Ableton LE, and Massive. I would just buy ableton or massive and use my trigger finger, but I really like the bells and whistles on the machine/push/launchpad and might sell my other things. A friend of mine also mentioned that I could benefit from buying monitors and an external soundcard/interface.

I am totally new to all of this. Help me with your knowledge. If there is a better option please lemme know! Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Welcome!

Massive is good, Ableton is easy for most, I'd start trying the software demo versions.
Old 23rd June 2013
what do you need all these controllers for? if you're looking to make music on a budget then all you need is a computer and software, if you insist on using hardware then perhaps you'd get good use out of a Push controller but I personally don't see the point in them

what are you using for monitoring? buying monitors won't really benefit you if you don't have a proper space for them with at least some acoustic treatment, but having some sort of decent speakers is definitely a great way to check mixes

if you're using headphones then you would benefit from an interface if it has decent converters and a decent headphone amp, try to get something that has just hat you need or else you'll be overpaying for features you wont need instead of getting your money's worth

software wise, I would recommend sticking to Logic 8, maybe upgrading to 9 or waiting for 10 and buying Komplete 9 with the money you have

if you get rid of all those controllers then you'll have enough for everything you really need, just think of what's more important for you, making music or having controllers to mess around with?
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Learn the sofware first, then you will really know what kind of controller will suit you best.
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

I hear a lot of talk about getting controllers first, software first, monitors first...

Do you know anything about music? Music theory? Playing an instrument?

(Not being an ass, but it's really an assumption worth clarifying for the true "first" before anyone can help you in the right direction.

Dunno, just sayin'

-a
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear nut

Perhaps reaper and some free vsts would be a better budget direction then you'd have 540 to spend on whatever controller you wanted.
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Why would he buy reaper when e already has logic?
Old 23rd June 2013
You already have too much gear/controllers. Focus on a daw either learn Logic that you already own, or demo Ableton to see if you like it. Leave all the rest for later...
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear maniac

or watch youtube videos of people using ableton to decide if you like it.
you really should learn to use what you already have
a controllers not going to really make much of a difference, unless your playing in live
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
Why would he buy reaper when e already has logic?
Whoops, it was late and I missed that part.
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear addict

1st: if you already have logic, stick with it. many ofthe best edm producers use it.
2nd: there are loads of tutorials for it (search: macprovideo.com;protoolexpert.com;and youtube)
3rd: after you learn logic get something like Komplete 9
4th: good luck
Old 23rd June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Better to pick a DAW then a controller, because they don't all work the same with different DAWs, some do a lot more with certain DAWs but not others.

Eg, launchpad, not so great with logic, amazing with Ableton, Kontrol49 Amazing with logic, poor with Ableton.

Logic is solid, I'm not sure why some think it's hard to learn, it's easier than Cubase was by a huge amount.
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear interested

Hey everyone! Thanks for the input. The reason I even have these controllers is essentially due to hand me downs. I have not poured tons and tons of money into this already. I am currently studying Music Industry and so I do have musical knowledge and am learning basics of DAWs. My trigger finger and LPD8 are both hand me downs and work fine, but I have had problems programming and remembering how each was set up. I was thinking the Maschine Mikro MK2 because it color coordinates which sample type will be fired. I was also thinking of Abletons Push because you can make entire songs on it and it has a really intuitive set up for chords and notes. I will sell my trigger finger regardless (its missing a knob, and I want a better drum controller) but I may keep the LPD8 for a sampler for DJ Software. If I get Push I will probably also sell my keyboard, but if I get a drum pad I will keep it.

Essentially I am looking to get new stuff and ditch the old. I am still learning more about logic and have a pretty solid understanding of the Ultrabeat. Judging from what I am saying so far, is there a better option of controller than either Maschine or Push, and which is better of those two. If there is a better option, what do you think it would be?
Old 24th June 2013
Gear addict

if you don´t have so much money only buy stuff that produces sound, no controllers,no sh*t! that´s the best advice i can give you!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search