How to warp perfectly in Ableton Live 8
New Reply
Subscribe
Hillsdon
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear interested

How to warp perfectly in Ableton Live 8

I have been an ableton user for 3 years now and I have seen nearly every YouTube tutorial on the matter as well as forums online yet I still fall short at the same point.

I understand the whole concept of warping and setting the start of the first transient at 1.1.1, then moving the markers every 8 bars or whatever to make sure they're on the beat. I also get that when the marker turns yellow then it will become locked while the grey ones can fluctuate depending on how you move those which are unlocked around it.

However I have had songs where if I warp it ever 8 bars it will sound ok but maybe sometimes a little jittery and some bars may be ever so slightly off... However I thought that if I lock in warp markers more frequently to make sure all my 4 bars are in time they come out as jittery or lacks the clarity when it was unwarped.

After I set my 1.1.1 point I normally warp straight and edit afterwards.

Is this the right way or am I missing the last piece of the puzzle?

Any advice is very much appreciated. Cheers guys!
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear maniac

Its always a trade-off between perfect timing and "clarity", to be honest. I've got to the point where I only use warping as a last resort (except for re-pitch).

If you're DJing, then obviously you're going to have to warp - I would probably use complex pro or beats, depending on the type of track.
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsdon View Post
After I set my 1.1.1 point I normally warp straight and edit afterwards.
Yes, this is what I do too. But first I like to know what the original BPM of the song I'm warping is. I do this by tapping out the tempo to the beat of the song. Then when I know what BPM (roughly) the song is in, I set the master tempo accordingly and then set the 1.1.1 marker on the first beat of the bar and Warp Straight from there... Then it's a matter of going in every 16/32 bars to make sure everything is lined up correctly...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search