New Reply
Subscribe
sk1tzan
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Gear Head

New digital piano

Hi!

I'm looking to buy a new digital piano, I'm using East West Pianos today hooked up with a very very old casio digital piano which I then connected via midi usb to my computer.

My budget is around 700USD.

What I'm looking for is a semi weight or fully weight piano which has the most realistic grand piano sound u can get.. therefore I ask if this price is enough and what would be the best choice for me? I probably want 76 keys at least.

What's the BEST sounding piano for maximum 700USD? (could ofcourse be less aswell).

I just want a extremely good sounding digital piano which I can connect to my computer and trigger midi with it aswell, so it's important it has USB or MIDI out.

Thanks!
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Gear addict

Something sounding better than EW Pianos? That's gonna be hard to find if you ask me. Piano is very much preference, of course, but as far as realism goes I'd say it's the best one. If anything better exists in hardware I think you'd have to invest some real cash.

Don't have much help to offer other than that, I'm afraid.
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

honestly, i'd look for something with action you like as the main concern. If it has good action then you can trigger whatever midi module or what not with it and be good. I personally use an xv-88 as my 88 key controller. It's a full blown synth with a weighted keyboard that actually has some good piano sounds in it, and there's even a concert piano expansion pack for it which is supposedly pretty good as well, but I don't have that. They can be had on the used market for about your price range, so it could be worth considering, that is, if you like it's action.

Speaking of casio, I've heard their newer digital pianos have decent action for the money. I've also heard good things about yamaha action too. There's plenty of midi-only controllers with good action, like the old kurzweil midiboards and some of the fatar stuff and what not. It all depends whether you MUST have sound generation in the keyboard, or if you're OK with using an external module or computer for the piano sounds.

When it comes to piano sounds, there's always going to be variety. Even on units that specialize on piano sounds, they're going to have a selection of different kinds of pianos, uprights, grands, baby grands, different brands of pianos, etc. It's probably going to be hard for any of us to truly know what kind of sounds you prefer out of those many possible piano sounds, so if you must have a unit with built-in sounds that you like, you're going to have no other choice but to try and hear what they sound like yourself before you pull the trigger. However, I'd reckon that the majority of professional workstation/synth keyboards from the past like, 10-15 years have all pretty much had a somewhat decent piano in them. It's certainly not the land of old casio's anymore.
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1tzan View Post
Hi!

I'm looking to buy a new digital piano, I'm using East West Pianos today hooked up with a very very old casio digital piano which I then connected via midi usb to my computer.

My budget is around 700USD.

What I'm looking for is a semi weight or fully weight piano which has the most realistic grand piano sound u can get.. therefore I ask if this price is enough and what would be the best choice for me? I probably want 76 keys at least.

What's the BEST sounding piano for maximum 700USD? (could ofcourse be less aswell).

I just want a extremely good sounding digital piano which I can connect to my computer and trigger midi with it aswell, so it's important it has USB or MIDI out.

Thanks!
Casio makes some very good pianos in that price range. I bought a PX-3S and the sound and action are very good, and it's very light for an 88-key hammer action piano. (I actually reviewed it here Casio Privia PX-3S 88-key Digital Piano But I was very disappointed with the sound of the sustain pedal - it just decays too quickly. Also there is no mod wheel. It has a ton of programming capabilities like layering and so forth, but you need the manual, very unintuitive.

Honestly, if you can expand your budget a little, I would go for the Yamaha CP-33. Great sound, great action, and has a mod and pitch wheel, USB and MIDI interface (but you can't use both at once, which is true of the Casio's as well). It's bigger and heavier than the Casio, but worth it IMHO.
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Gear Head

The newest digital piano at your price range is the Korg Sp280 (700$). It has 88 weighed hammer action keys, and according to Korg, reproduces the sound and feel of Concert grand piano. Total it has 30 sounds, and what I really like on this keyboard is the instant access to all the functions via the control panel (transpose, split, layer, effects, etc). And, of course it has midi In/Out.

Attached Thumbnails
New digital piano-korg.jpeg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search