Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   TTSH (DIY Arp 2600 clone) (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/837320-ttsh-diy-arp-2600-clone.html)

nectarios 13th May 2013 03:51 PM

TTSH (DIY Arp 2600 clone)

Hmmm...

firby 13th May 2013 05:18 PM

ooh ooh ooh Love it. That is a beautiful rare synth to copy.

Yoozer 13th May 2013 06:20 PM

Project is going very well if there is a proto already. Wonderful - can't wait to see the finished version and the lit sliders are sexy!

Starspawn 13th May 2013 06:47 PM

Sweetness! Anybody that knows anything more let me know what :)

skanker 13th May 2013 06:58 PM

Very interested in seeing this up an running!

San01 13th May 2013 07:23 PM

I've been waiting for this for quite some time now

I signed up on their website to get more info when ready (they say not to expect email before august)

bil_g 13th May 2013 07:40 PM

There's a thread about it here.

FubarSnafu 13th May 2013 10:32 PM

Very interesting. Sounds very difficult to build mind you.

NebulaZero 14th May 2013 09:02 AM

Shut up and take my money!!!

Nedavine 14th May 2013 09:08 AM

Yes yes and more yes.

lysander 14th May 2013 09:19 AM

I was waiting for this to appear on gearslutz eventually :)
I've been following the (28 pages!) thread on Muff for a while, it's an amazing project and it's progressing very very well.
It also seems to be generating a huge amount of interest, as it should!
I really can't wait to build one.
Who needs an MS20 mini when you can build yourself a mini Arp 2600 cooge

Gil missFlag 14th July 2013 10:55 PM

Wow this thing looks and sounds great! GAS levels rising.

Spectral Climax 14th July 2013 11:49 PM

It looks like something that my synth building skills tell me not to buy... On the other hand, I like to customize things , but, I have a feeling that it won't be cheap enough to take the risk..

pelican 15th July 2013 01:43 AM

prob be around 1500, maybe more

Stevism 15th July 2013 01:56 AM

WOW. this is definitely coming along QUITE nicely...

clone or not, it sound's fantastic in it's own right.

definitely going to keep an eye on this

chaosium 15th July 2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelican (Post 9229489)
prob be around 1500, maybe more

Huh? They're DIY, not prebuilt.

plikestechno 15th July 2013 04:48 AM

Someone will eventually start building and selling these and I'll be interested at that point and interested in what the price point will be for a finished one.

Stevism 15th July 2013 04:56 AM

well the kit is supposed to be around $1000, then you have to either design your own enclosure or hope that someone designs/sells one.

also not sure how you install a spring reverb tank, but that's not part of it.

so yeah $1500 may be a good estimate. especially considering all the time that will go in to actually assembling it (fun for many, a chore for others). if you pay someone to build it the cost will then obviously increase

EDIT: i'm getting this info from here: http://thehumancomparator.net

chaosium 15th July 2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevism (Post 9229852)
well the kit is supposed to be around $1000, then you have to either design your own enclosure or hope that someone designs/sells one.

also not sure how you install a spring reverb tank, but that's not part of it.

so yeah $1500 may be a good estimate. especially considering all the time that will go in to actually assembling it (fun for many, a chore for others). if you pay someone to build it the cost will then obviously increase

EDIT: i'm getting this info from here: TTSH - Two Thousand Six Hundred

Kit+components+case/frontpanel, sure. I was just observing that the kit alone wasn't going to be that pricey from what was being discussed on Muff's cooge

Stevism 15th July 2013 05:38 AM

ohhh haha yeah. sorry, just trying to help share all the info i know of so far :)

Spectral Climax 15th July 2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosium (Post 9229915)
Kit+components+case/frontpanel, sure. I was just observing that the kit alone wasn't going to be that pricey from what was being discussed on Muff's cooge

A "kit" is components+board for most DIY products...

chaosium 15th July 2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectral Climax (Post 9230266)
A "kit" is components+board for most DIY products...

Ah, I've been conditioned to expect it only being the PCBs and rarest components.

Hybrid88 15th July 2013 03:28 PM

Yeah exactly, the front panel looks expensive just by itself. I think you'd find it would be pretty reasonably priced especially given all the work the guy has put into it to get it to this point, this is a big project.

Def on my radar, I'm just hoping the huge demand doesn't put him off after the first run.

Daniel_Che 15th July 2013 03:32 PM

sexy!

Stevism 15th July 2013 04:23 PM

from the info and FAQ on the site...

Quote:

It will be available as a kit containing PCBs and front panel (Nothing is pre-built).
Quote:

Q, Where can I get the parts for this?
A, Thonk.co.uk will offer part kits. And if you’d like to source it yourself almost everything is available at Mouser.com, except a few FET-transistors and a IC.

Llitsor 15th July 2013 05:09 PM

Im looking forward to having a go at this one! And it should be an easier project (relatively!) than the VCS 3 clone i've been scavenging parts for.
But yes, there won't be a complete kit as such for the 2600 clone. Its a panel and PCB's from 1 chap, core component kit (i think) from another fella, and the case and more mundane parts like resistors and caps etc we source ourselves.
Not a cheap project though.. And im sure some folk will be building and selling them complete, but expect built ones to cost a lot more. Although still substantially less than an old original of course.

Im just miffed he announced the project so soon.. Its already been a long wait and there is still a couple of months to go yet!

Jojjelito 16th July 2013 02:13 AM

Ok, here's the deal in case you're miffed:
Zthee (who I know a bit so please bear with me as I'm a bit partial) started working on this after some inspiration from the VCS Phutney clone and some other, obscure sources. Then followed some real hard work deciphering the service manuals, addendums from AM Synths and others who cloned ARPs before, sidestepping weird schematic errors etc. The full story is available on a Swedish forum http://www.99musik.se but can be translated by Google :p

The first proto PCB was built and hand-patched where necessary. It got a good ogling of us other DIY-heads/nerds here in Stockholm at a gathering at the EMS studio. The thing works, but became a bit wonky - some slider was backwards...

So, funding this Zthee sold some gear and built a second prototype with errors corrected. The panel was already designed for proto 1. His day job involves massive use of Illustrator, but I still suspect it was major work making sure everything lined up, scaled and looked nice.

What is shown in the videos is mostly proto 2 these days. I think that the level of commitment is to be applauded - work has been done to save builders from pain and such by a one-man operation. The rest of the time will be used for burn-in, more testing, and taking care of business-related matters like ordering PCBs, front panels with screen printing etc.

Totally.worth.the.wait if you ask me.

Daniel_Che 16th July 2013 07:57 AM

any hint of who might build those, as i dont have those skills and definitely dont want to go that road...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojjelito (Post 9232473)
Ok, here's the deal in case you're miffed:
Zthee (who I know a bit so please bear with me as I'm a bit partial) started working on this after some inspiration from the VCS Phutney clone and some other, obscure sources. Then followed some real hard work deciphering the service manuals, addendums from AM Synths and others who cloned ARPs before, sidestepping weird schematic errors etc. The full story is available on a Swedish forum 99musik but can be translated by Google :p

The first proto PCB was built and hand-patched where necessary. It got a good ogling of us other DIY-heads/nerds here in Stockholm at a gathering at the EMS studio. The thing works, but became a bit wonky - some slider was backwards...

So, funding this Zthee sold some gear and built a second prototype with errors corrected. The panel was already designed for proto 1. His day job involves massive use of Illustrator, but I still suspect it was major work making sure everything lined up, scaled and looked nice.

What is shown in the videos is mostly proto 2 these days. I think that the level of commitment is to be applauded - work has been done to save builders from pain and such by a one-man operation. The rest of the time will be used for burn-in, more testing, and taking care of business-related matters like ordering PCBs, front panels with screen printing etc.

Yoozer 16th July 2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojjelito (Post 9232473)
So, funding this Zthee sold some gear and built a second prototype with errors corrected.

That's some massive dedication.

Quote:

I think that the level of commitment is to be applauded - work has been done to save builders from pain and such by a one-man operation. The rest of the time will be used for burn-in, more testing, and taking care of business-related matters like ordering PCBs, front panels with screen printing etc.

What I'm mostly surprised about is that it seems to move pretty quickly, compared to projects that linger in development hell for several years.

reverberation 16th July 2013 11:57 AM

I love this project so much!

My own 2600 was used as a reference. Still I think of getting the TTSH too, if I have the money and time for it...