Subscribe
kristiab
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Head

Send a message via Skype™ to kristiab
Eventide H9

Eventide H9

I'm really surprised over the lack of love over this thing; to me it sounds absolutely fantastic. I came over this pedal while dealing with a serious case of GAS over the Eventide Space .. but then I came over this:

Pros:
  • Algorithms from all 4 of the *factor pedals are included.
  • Possible to purchase new algorithms via iOS app
  • Smaller than the other *factor pedals
  • Possible to change algo's on the fly
  • Appearently good MIDI implementation; possible to use any MIDI controller to set up control. You can set up control via PC/Mac software over USB.

Cons:
  • Not alot of tactile control. You have to use a i-device (like iPad) to get control over the algorithms
  • Rather steep price.. but still hella cheaper than buying all the 4 *Factor pedals
  • Only iOS app at the moment.. but Eventide haven't dismissed other platforms; they said that they would look into other platforms based on demand
  • Black hole preset from Space is appearently not available (at the moment)
  • The biggest I guess for most people: Only one algorithm can be used at any time

So.. .I mean, its not perfect, but damn.. the thought of having *one* pedal to load in all algorithms from their *factor series seriously blows my mind... I'm really excited about this and think its a brilliant move on Eventide's part.. but where's the love?
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear nut

Since it almost doesn't have any controls you'd need a computer or iPad to control it so the hand-on approach gets lost. You have left an out-of-the box DSP that takes some of the burden off of your CPU. Which makes me wonder, hows does the eventide algorithms stand compared to good software plugs?
kristiab
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7791 View Post
how does the eventide algorithms stand compared to good software plugs?
Good question.. I can just go by the youtube videos and general praise they get, which is that they are rather fantastic algorithms

Here's a video I found on this from NAMM; GAS level rising..

11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear addict

1) What's the price? ...edit: apparently ~same as the Space

2) Is everything CC/SysEx controllable or do you need proprietary software to program it?

Also, it doesn't have all the algorithms from the pedals, it's clearly stated on the product page.
kristiab
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprendista View Post
2) Is everything CC/SysEx controllable or do you need proprietary software to program it?
As I understand it, there should be a PC/Mac editor from Eventide so I guess its proprietary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprendista View Post
Also, it doesn't have all the algorithms from the pedals, it's clearly stated on the product page.
I know.. but as I understand it, more algorithms will be available to download (read: buy) from the app (as in-app purchases..). I tried to find the app so I could check the prices, but I couldn't find it on appstore
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

Meh, its reliance on iProducts makes it a no go for me. For the price an Eclipse goes for used, and given that Eventide still supports it with firmware upgrades, I think its a better investment but thats just one guys opinion on teh interwebz.
kristiab
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
Meh, its reliance on iProducts makes it a no go for me. For the price an Eclipse goes for used, and given that Eventide still supports it with firmware upgrades, I think its a better investment but thats just one guys opinion on teh interwebz.
Fair enough.. but too be honest, its not actually reliant on an iProduct. It transfers the algorithms over bluetooth, its just that naturally iProducts are the first in line to get an app.. there's nothing stopping Eventide from making versions for Android etc.
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7791 View Post
Since it almost doesn't have any controls you'd need a computer or iPad to control it so the hand-on approach gets lost. You have left an out-of-the box DSP that takes some of the burden off of your CPU. Which makes me wonder, hows does the eventide algorithms stand compared to good software plugs?
My guess is probably about the same, though I'm sure different. Look into the much revered Valhalla Sound, Uhbik or Soundtoys plug ins. All amazing quality, but will task your CPU.
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiab View Post
I'm really excited about this and think its a brilliant move on Eventide's part.. but where's the love?
I'd be much more excited and givin' the love if I didn't already have an Eclipse. Glad I bought it a few years back when I could afford it, otherwise I'd be very excited about this development. I'd probably skip the Volcas and go for this instead, but since I've got that base covered...
pro
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
pro
Gear addict

fixed or float?
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Gear maniac

if only it were a line 6 m9 but with eventide fx.... they'd make an absolute killing

DOWNLOAD MY NEW ALBUM

Look - i use red fonts and everything to draw attention to my music on a forum.

>>>>HERE<<<<l
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search