FrenchDisco/Electro House Basses
Bobo09
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear interested

FrenchDisco/Electro House Basses

Hey guys, recently i've been into making and listening to alot of french disco house stuff and i've noticed a lot of songs use both real bass guitars and also synth basses in songs. for the most part they seem to interchange really quickly during the song but i also notice they are overlapping at some points. I was just wondering how they achieve to keep both bass sounds relatively up front and "fat" sounding even while the basses are overlapping at some points without sounding muddy.

any eq suggestions and any other type of techniques?
Ged
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Ged
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo09 View Post
Hey guys, recently i've been into making and listening to alot of french disco house stuff and i've noticed a lot of songs use both real bass guitars and also synth basses in songs. for the most part they seem to interchange really quickly during the song but i also notice they are overlapping at some points. I was just wondering how they achieve to keep both bass sounds relatively up front and "fat" sounding even while the basses are overlapping at some points without sounding muddy.

any eq suggestions and any other type of techniques?
seperate channels for each bass sound, edit audio files in arrange window (16th grid) as long as they dont play at the same time they won't compete.
Unless your talking about doubling an elec bass with a rezzy synth an octave higher?
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
I'm actually in the process of making a Nu Disco / French House album for a label so I'll chip in with what I know

you can layer live bass over with synth basses and other synths playing that same exact notes, just have to watch out for EQing and panning

you have to look at thing in a 3D sort of way, you can't just have all the sounds on top of each other so you have to give everyone a space in the frequency spectrum (using EQ, different octaves, etc.) as well as in the stereo field (chorus, phasers, unison, panning, mid/side EQ, etc.)

lets say you have a live bass you want to layer with a couple of synths, decide what you want to take over most the low end and high pass the rest accordingly, live bass guitar can be very middy so you might want to high pass that and scoop the mid frequencies that the live bass is taking up from the other synths

then there's the stereo field of course, you can throw some chorus on the live bass, cut the a lot of the low end in the middle with a mid/side EQ to give your bass line a live feel and fill up a bit of the stereo spectrum

just try to keep only one source in the center taking up the low end frequencies because that's when it gets muddy

if you want to use a wide synth bass on your track, you can hipass the whole thing and add a mono layer in the center for the low end or you can just hipassing the sides using mid/side EQ, you could use a full sounding live bass guitar in the middle in this case with the wide synth bass layered on top making sure the frequencies from clash in the stereo spectrum (eq. low end and mid frequencies cut form the center of the wide bass patch using mid/side EQ and enough low end cut from the sides to make sure it's not muddy down there)

hope this helps
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear
FM synthesis is outstanding for slap bass style layering.

If you have FM8 try looking deep into the preset "Tube Thumper" (I think that's the name anyway) for a good starting point on how to patch something in that vein.
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear addict

Like this, if you know French...

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search