Garage find tales - Interesting old Keyboard Magazine issues
New Reply
Subscribe
FrankieP
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear maniac

Garage find tales - Interesting old Keyboard Magazine issues

So my wife got me cleaning out the garage early in the morning. Came across a box of old Keyboard Magazines that I thought I had gotten rid of when I moved 8 years ago. A lot of the magazines are from 1997-2003. Here's a pic of the find.

The 2 oldest issues (from 1994) are chockful of information that may still be very relevant today for forum members looking to purchase some hardware especially samplers. Here's one which is dated August 1994, a "Special Issue" about Samplers.

Anyway, there's this article written by Michael Marans called "Cold Hard Facts" which I find very interesting. It's some sort of lab test which covers noise level, distortion characteristics, effectiveness of pitch-shifting scheme and frequency response charts of some of the available and popular samplers of that era. Here's a sample...

The other issue dates back to December 1994. This time it deals with comparative listings of software. There's this "Editor/Librarian Phone Book" which list old editors and librarians for a whole lot of midi hardware/synths. Here's a sample, take note of the "Roland Juno series" list on the upper right corner.

I wonder if it's legal for me to post and share these articles here for everyone.
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

That Samplers Roundup is my favorite Keyboard issue of all time. From what I understand, some manufacturers got very upset over having their gear evaluated in such a clinical manner.

The funny thing is that back then everyone wanted the sampler with the most accurate reproduction, least distortion, etc (I believe it was an Akai or EIII at the time). Whereas now some of the samplers which scored lowest in that issue are more highly prized for their warmth...
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

Cool find, I keep around my old magazines also...however I was 9 when that issue came out. :-)

I personally would not complain to see the article reproduced...
FrankieP
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Cool find, I keep around my old magazines also...however I was 9 when that issue came out. :-)

I personally would not complain to see the article reproduced...
You just made me feel like an old fart.
FrankieP
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post
That Samplers Roundup is my favorite Keyboard issue of all time. From what I understand, some manufacturers got very upset over having their gear evaluated in such a clinical manner.

The funny thing is that back then everyone wanted the sampler with the most accurate reproduction, least distortion, etc (I believe it was an Akai or EIII at the time). Whereas now some of the samplers which scored lowest in that issue are more highly prized for their warmth...
It's ironic isn't it? I bought my first sampler a month after this issue came out. And yeah, it was based on which had the highest sampling rate and least distortion. It was a toss-up between the S3000 and the S760. I went for the Akai.
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear addict

I still have that issue too, bought an S760 shortly after (liked the fact you add a a monitor output).
msl
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP View Post
You just made me feel like an old fart.

Sure your not the only one, I have a few Future Music's from 91-92' also!

https://soundcloud.com/michaellovatt/black-power
michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search