90's Drum and Bass
Old 26th April 2013
Gear interested

90's Drum and Bass

Hey everybody...

Im looking for a way to recreate the sound in the following sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkENy3t_fgQ starts 1:12

I can hear some kind of kick and snare, and then maybe a cymbal rolling on an off beat. Some deep bass tones. But what is the filling treple sound? I mean, if i made a song with kick, snare, bass and cymbal, there would be some miniseconds of pause without music.

How would you do this?, i really can't think of a way.

thx in advance
Old 26th April 2013
Gear maniac

It's a ride cymbal clattering away. Like in EVERY drum and bass beat. There's a very faint pitched-up kick in there too.
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

Most drum and bass, at least from that era, was built around pitched up drum loops. So, you sample your 90 bpm funk break, then pitch it up until it's 170 bpm or whatever and bingo - drum and bass drums. Do not use time stretching, part of the sound is the artifacts from pitching the source sample beyond the point of realism.

You can cut the sample up too. Just running a straight bar loop will not get the technical aspect of good drum and bass. You need to chop that loop and rearrange it as well. If you want to get real specific, it's probably best to do it all on an Akai S series sampler.
Old 26th April 2013

all true. But that tracks later than the ol' 90s. Pretty sure its in the last 5 or 6 years...
Old 26th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Snide View Post
It's a ride cymbal clattering away. Like in EVERY drum and bass beat. There's a very faint pitched-up kick in there too.
Clem Snide - love that band.....
Old 26th April 2013
Gear nut

it's the 'tighten up'-break by the JBs...
at 6:26 in this video:

btw. that high contrast track is from late 2007... hardly 90s drum'n'bass.
Old 26th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post

I suppose he just sampled some old dnb record or just grabbed the break off Jungle Warfare sample CD anyway.
Old 26th April 2013

Lot of additional samples in the rekkid - it seems. 90s DnB - we didn't do that!!
Old 26th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Lot of additional samples in the rekkid - it seems. 90s DnB - we didn't do that!!
Finally took a listen to that HC tune - and I have to agree. A typical liquid tune out of the 2000's - programmed 2-step beat and the tighten up cymbals layered on top. Not 90's sounding at all. Before taking a listen I was thinking more of something like:

I think Calibre had given this tune sort of 90's flavor.
Old 26th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphs View Post
Most drum and bass, at least from that era, was built around pitched up drum loops. So, you sample your 90 bpm funk break, then pitch it up until it's 170 bpm or whatever and bingo - drum and bass drums. Do not use time stretching, part of the sound is the artifacts from pitching the source sample beyond the point of realism.

You can cut the sample up too. Just running a straight bar loop will not get the technical aspect of good drum and bass. You need to chop that loop and rearrange it as well. If you want to get real specific, it's probably best to do it all on an Akai S series sampler.
Im not sure what you mean by pitching with the BPM? isn't that only possible by time stretching?

Quote:
Now i get it, im already near the wanted sound now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post

okay, this is a really big help. thank u
Old 26th April 2013
Gear addict

I believe you mean jungle :P. Check out artists like DJ trace, badman, dead dread, shy fix, omnio trio
Old 26th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaga View Post
Im not sure what you mean by pitching with the BPM? isn't that only possible by time stretching?
Well, you can simply play your sample at a higher pitch until it fits exactly X bars you cut it to @ 170 bpm or so.
Old 26th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Clem Snide - love that band.....
Actually I've never heard the band, I'm named after a character in a book, which I suppose is the same thing the band is named after.

"My name is Clem Snide, and I am a private ass-hole..." begins his chapter...
Old 26th April 2013
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR View Post
omnio trio
It's Omni Trio
Old 26th April 2013

Quote:
Actually I've never heard the band, I'm named after a character in a book, which I suppose is the same thing the band is named after.

"My name is Clem Snide, and I am a private ass-hole..." begins his chapter...
Burroughs init?
Old 26th April 2013
Gear addict

What AMAZES me when I read the replies here:

1- how many people never listen to OP's example and just reply to the topic title/ first sentence

2- how few guys around here know anything about DnB

OP, you already got your answer-- tighten up break layered with a kick and a snare and a ride. If you want to know more about making DnB, head over to "the grid" at Dogs on Acid. MUCH better resource than gearslutz for these sort of questions.

To be a little more explicit about the top end in DnB, a lot of what you're hearing is also "ghost notes"-- little tiny rolls and accents on the snare and hi hat in between the main hits to give the groove more feel. It's something that is especially common in old 70's funk drumming. When you speed these loops up to 170, it sounds incredibly fast and intricate. Also, old DnB was made on Hardware samplers before software and ableton existed. Back then, pitching up or down was the most common and better sounding way to speed up or slow down a sample. Hence, all the old DnB from the 90's has beats that are pitched up samples of drum loops. Try it yourself. Stick a whole drum loop in simpler in ableton (or whatever sampler you use) and play a key 1 octave higher than the note where it sounds normal. Voila pitched up loop, no timestretching involved.
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

Take a loop, cut out all the lows, peak the highs. Add you own snare and your own bassdrum to go w/ the loop. Layer a reese bass with a sub, maybe make the bass slightly louder than the bass drum in the mix.

This doesn't sound very 90s to me though. 90's dnb had a less rigid quality to it, and the highs were much smoother. I think it had to do w/ the samplers used. Sounded more organic and less bright.

For the video you posted, I think my advice is pretty good though.
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear
Old 26th April 2013
Gear addict

As :Metaphor: already mentioned: it's all about the ghost notes. And The Grid.
Old 26th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by :Metaphor: View Post
What AMAZES me when I read the replies here:

1- how many people never listen to OP's example and just reply to the topic title/ first sentence

2- how few guys around here know anything about DnB

OP, you already got your answer-- tighten up break layered with a kick and a snare and a ride. If you want to know more about making DnB, head over to "the grid" at Dogs on Acid. MUCH better resource than gearslutz for these sort of questions.

To be a little more explicit about the top end in DnB, a lot of what you're hearing is also "ghost notes"-- little tiny rolls and accents on the snare and hi hat in between the main hits to give the groove more feel. It's something that is especially common in old 70's funk drumming. When you speed these loops up to 170, it sounds incredibly fast and intricate. Also, old DnB was made on Hardware samplers before software and ableton existed. Back then, pitching up or down was the most common and better sounding way to speed up or slow down a sample. Hence, all the old DnB from the 90's has beats that are pitched up samples of drum loops. Try it yourself. Stick a whole drum loop in simpler in ableton (or whatever sampler you use) and play a key 1 octave higher than the note where it sounds normal. Voila pitched up loop, no timestretching involved.
okay, i will try that. harder than I thought haha.
Old 26th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
head over to "the grid" at Dogs on Acid. MUCH better resource than gearslutz for these sort of questions.
This.

Think a lot of the dnb guys were using EMU rack samplers before it went ITB. EMU filters helped shape the genre
Old 26th April 2013

Quote:

Thanks for that. I'll give my house back then, seeing as DnB bought it for me......
Old 26th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik80 View Post
This.
Think a lot of the dnb guys were using EMU rack samplers before it went ITB. EMU filters helped shape the genre
And before that it was Akais and their timestretch
Old 26th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_effekt View Post
And before that it was Akais and their timestretch
Totally. Still love my old S's
Old 26th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
It's Omni Trio
My bad I mistyped. At least I know the name is free now :D
Old 27th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll give my house back then, seeing as DnB bought it for me......

lol.

Well, there ARE exceptions here

But as a rule, there's more ignorance around these parts when it comes to how "bass music" is made here. More often than not, there's a lot of generalized, misguided advice from guys who make techno with hardware and are obsessed with all things 1978-1993

I jest... kind of.

I know I'm making sweeping generalizations by saying this, but really, I'm amazed how often guys get bad info when they inquire about making DnB, Dubstep, or similar. It's surprising to me, since, when I visit the grid for example, there's tons of guys who make techno and house and are actually talking about how it's done to the best of their ability-- they actually know how to make it, and don't just armchair theorize about how it's done. It's amazing some of the poor advice I've seen on here....
Old 27th April 2013
digital ears love analog

Just a warning, DOA is having problems with youtube videos automatically playing.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

Don't tell Goldie that!
Use timestretching but do it the old way by resampling.(disclaimer.I can't remember how it was done originally)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphs View Post
Do not use time stretching
Old 27th April 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
all true. But that tracks later than the ol' 90s. Pretty sure its in the last 5 or 6 years...
2007 lol
Old 27th April 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik80 View Post
This.

There still are. Most of the mysteries of drum and bass production are solved by pressing a few buttons on 6400, but its funny to watch people try and do it in live midi , claiming it takes hours and 30 plug ins.

"OK SO I GOT LEIK 30 INSTNANCES OF MASSIVE AND 20 SATURATIO PLUGS BUT I STILL CANT GET TAHT CHAMPOIN SOIND BASS"

Can't blame them when people on the internet are telling them not use chorus/verb and phasers on the bass though..and telling them to use sines..

£100 mixer, £100 sampler and a 808 kick,you can get some of the best bass known to mankind, crazy that people spend so much on software to get nearly there.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search