Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Akai S5000 hard drive thread (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/832022-akai-s5000-hard-drive-thread.html)

AndyA6 23rd April 2013 09:21 PM

Akai S5000 hard drive thread

Hi folks, so here goes another thread on adding a hard drive to the Akai S5000.
I just picked up a fully loaded S5 but it has no internal storage and I'd like to add an internal hard drive. Yes, mine has the USB board ;) but it's a bit slow and I don't want to run aksys just to transfer patches and samples every time I boot it up. I'd much rather have everything on the HD and just go with that.

I picked up a couple of old identical HP 73GB SCSI drives with SCA 80 connectors, I also bought an SCA 80 to 50-pin bridge board. So far I have the drive spinning up with the power cable I made up and I also have the drive attached to the board and the ribbon cable to mother board.

The S5 boots up and it seems to want to talk to the drive as I can see the activity LED on the drive light up periodically (almost like a SCSI query but not random flickering like data transfer would do). The drive does not show up on the S5 at all. I've tried setting the termination switch on the back on and off, I also tried setting the jumpers on the bridge board to various IDs (not the same as the S5) as well as no jumpers at all.
I've done some reading on the net and some drives have jumpers that allow for setting single-ended mode (my drives don't have this). Does anyone know if this is the problem I'm having? Should I try another drive with an SCA 80 connector?

I used to deal with SCSI voodoo a long time ago when they were on all the Apple machines but now I know why I hated SCSI so much...

Any thoughts as to why it won't quite see the drive?

JimmyV 24th April 2013 06:15 PM

Hi,
I have two Akai S5000's and recently fitted a brand new internal 72GB HD in one, and a 2GB Jaz inside the other. I didn't have to do anything to get them recognised. The samplers just "saw them" and I was good to go. Are you sure the S5000 and the HD are on different SCSI ID's? If they are on the same ID, then there will be a SCSI conflict.

Alternatively, maybe the SCSI cable you are using is damaged/faulty.

:)

AndyA6 24th April 2013 06:20 PM

I'll give it another go. Could be the cable but it looks in good condition with no frays...

Are you using an adapter too? Should because there are no 50-pin 72 GB drives ever made... Which adapter are you using? I have an SCA806850 like this one:
SCA Internal Adapter IDC50M/HPDB68F/SCA80F | StarTech.com

offki 24th April 2013 07:09 PM

Not sure about that model tbh, but do you need to mount them? You may have to, it may depend on which OS it's running too.

The light on the drive shows the cable is not dead at least.

MonoBrow 24th April 2013 07:14 PM

Are the drives formatted in fat 32? If you bought them used they might be ntfs.If i remember that correctly they have to be formatted in fat 32.

AndyA6 24th April 2013 07:19 PM

I'm running the latest OS 2.14. I have not formatted the drives at all, I just assumed the Akai would offer that once it saw them.
Besides, I could not format them if I wanted since all my Mac systems do not have card slots for SCSI adapters etc... Everything is SATA/USB/Thunderbolt/Firewire now ;)

MonoBrow 24th April 2013 07:32 PM

Could you take a photo of the back of the drive? Including the upside with the jumper instructions.That would help alot :)

offki 24th April 2013 08:12 PM

Yeah, they do need to be FAT.

AndyA6 24th April 2013 08:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, wouldn't you know it. I opened up the sampler again to have another look and decided to try another connector on my ribbon cable and low and behold the S5 saw the drive and is currently formatting it!!! WOW, am I ever releived.

Pictures attached just in case you want to see the setup.

By the way, this sampler came with the USB board, 256MB of RAM, the effects board, 64 voice expansion card and the extra 8 outs!!!

offki 24th April 2013 08:23 PM

Huge screens on those things. If only they'd put screens like that on EMUS. Nearly got a S6000 with the detachable screen.

Anyway, at least it's working now :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/...bec699aac6.jpg

JimmyV 24th April 2013 11:36 PM

Glad you got it working :)

I use what looks like the same scsi adapter that you have.

AndyA6 25th April 2013 10:17 PM

Things are humming along nicely now with the drive. I'm loading up my libraries right now.
Just curious though, has anyone installed a fan in one of these? I'd hate for the drive to overheat.

offki 25th April 2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyA6 (Post 8984122)
Things are humming along nicely now with the drive. I'm loading up my libraries right now.
Just curious though, has anyone installed a fan in one of these? I'd hate for the drive to overheat.

I doubt that will happen, plus you would need to have a converter for 3 pin molex plug to get the fan in, wouldn't want to go modifying the PSU on one.

jonbongjovi 2nd October 2013 04:09 AM

hey guys,

I just got a S5000 with no internal HDD.

Whats my best option? Shell out $200 for a USB card (same as what i paid for the sampler) or can I just use any IDE hard-drive with a scsi converter?

Cheers,

Jon

AndyA6 2nd October 2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbongjovi (Post 9470311)
hey guys,

I just got a S5000 with no internal HDD.

Whats my best option? Shell out $200 for a USB card (same as what i paid for the sampler) or can I just use any IDE hard-drive with a scsi converter?

Cheers,

Jon

Jon, you really should at least get the USB card if you can find it. These days you pretty much need it to get samples in and out of there not to mention the ability to use the Akai AKSYS software to organize the samples and edit patches and multis as well as setting up autoload.

I was lucky and picked up a fully loaded S5000 earlier this year that included the USB card, FX card, extra voices and outs for $300. I added a SCSI drive with an adapter internally and use that for storage.

Even thought the S5000 has an IDE connector on the logic board it doesn't work, you NEED to use a SCSI drive.

Getting a drive in there can a bit tight depending on the adapter/drive but it's doable. You will also have to fashion a power cable which is easy enough if you have old computer parts laying around but I would obtain a SCSI drive first, that will determine the adapter type then the power cable will be fashioned to either the drive or adapter depending on the SCSI type of drive you get.

SCSI comes in various flavours unlike IDE so the easiest to use is a SCSI narrow drive with the typical 50-pin flat ribbon. The only issue however is those drive don't come typically with more than 36 gigs of storage at most. Anything bigger will have SCSI wide or SCSI LVD which require adapters like this:

Amazon.com : SCA 80 PIN TO 68 50 PIN SCSI ADAPTER : Computers & Accessories

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and help out.

jonbongjovi 3rd October 2013 01:17 AM

Hmm as I feared.

Maybe it would be best to find a S5000 with usb built in.

Unfortunately now they're hard to find as everyone pulls out the USB card and FX card and flogs them off for $250 each..

Even the scsi drive with the adapter cables will set me back at least $100.

Ah well thats the price you pay for not letting go.