Kick Drum Comparison
smokingrobot
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

Kick Drum Comparison

Hey Slutz,

I have a simple excercise i wanted to ask you guys to participate in with me. I recently dug up a "Realistic Stereo Mixing Console" from my basement that I forgot I had and thought: Hey, let's try runnin some sounds through this and back into the ol' DAW and see what kinda character it'll pick up?

So here's the deal - i'm presenting two clips. The first is a kick assembled form some samples I have (A beater/meat sample, a kick "click", and the heavy bottom) all processed and run through some plugins and then glued together w/ some light compression (1-2dBs GR).

The second kick is the exact same sound from above, only it is additionally routed through the realistic stereo mixer to pick up some dusty flavor (the device is DUSTY) and then put back into the DAW.

I tried to gain them both to match peak's for the most part, but the realistic must be adding some compression as its more consistent whereas the one not run through the realistic jumps a little at the peaks during the turns.

Kick_A.wav

Kick_Realistic.wav

What am I trying to achieve?

I honestly want to hear your opinions and reactions about the two kicks - do you like one better? Why?

I'll lay out my opinion: I kind of dig the difference in perceived pitch of the one run through the realistic, to me it sounds "meatier". It is of note that on laptop speakers, the difference between the two is not insanely astounding, however on my monitors its much more apparent. EDIT: gave it another listen on the laptop, and its blatantly obvious that its two different kick drums, but the full effect of whatevers going on is fully realized on better speakers obviously.

Additionally - the one ran through the realistic w/o making any other adjustments to the balance/mix of the track they are in (and in fact, even peaking a little lower than the original) seem to punch through better to my ears. I'm going to assume its the added compression from whatever the hell the realistic is doing coupled w/ whatever weird signal path im running it through coupled w/ the now doubled DAC and back in ADC conversion and perhaps some quality loss?

Anyway, love to hear what you guys all think.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Head

I'm listening on a kinda crappy set up but I couldn't tell much difference and I'm sure it would get even less defined in a mix
smokingrobot
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

Hey thanks for the response - and yes, the differences arent earth shatteringly huge.

Its not like what i imagine a Weiss Converter vs. some cheaper Behringer converter might reveal.

i feel like maybe i should say the endeavor is slightly on selfish tip along the lines of:
Does it really sound better? Or does it sound better to me because I want it to sound better?

One thing i do feel certain about is the sort of "pitch" difference between the two - i am enjoying the pitch of the latter vs the former within the track itself.

Havent been listening to a lot of nu-disco lately, but the track in your sig is really good dude
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear
I thought I heard a slight difference, and I seemed to like the "Realistic" one a bit better.
But the differences were so small that I wouldn't lose any sleep about it.

The thing is: if YOU like one of them better, it might improve your performance, and that will of course improve the overall result.
Do what your ears tell you!

Cheers,
Bert
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear maniac

I also prefer the one that went through the realistic it has a nice thump. Putting it in my DAW, I tried shelving off a bit of the high end and putting it through a limiter and it's sounding closer, not really getting that pitch change. I tried replacing the limiter with clip distortion and I'm getting tone change but it's killing the transient. However, it is becoming fairly obvious to me that the Realistic box is distorting the signal on top of loosing some of the high frequency content.

Cool trick! Might be worth trying on snare or even your whole drum bus.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

second one sounds rougher with more oomph, first one sounds more hi-fi and clean.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

2nd one sounds better. has an extended bass response for sure. i'd try it again but smash it through the console as hot as you can without it breaking up.
smokingrobot
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

hey everyone appreciate the responses

I'm glad there is a noticeable difference.

@louis - im definitely goin to run a bunch of drums through this thing for sure. I'm curious how it'll handle some predominantly higher frequency stuff like hats/shakers etc.. Im hoping it'll impart something interesting to some snares for sure too.

@atma - i will definitely try to slam it harder at the input to the mini-console. The thing was acting kind of wonky and didnt particularly handle to much fader movement and my signal would drop out occasionally from one channel or the other, so once i had it set i kind of let it be. I'm thinking about maybe opening it up and seeing if a little cleaning of the insides might help it without erasing any of the dirty mojo im getting from it.

again, thank you all for responding and participating
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search