Venues currently supporting electronic music...in NY/NJ/PA
Old 17th April 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Venues currently supporting electronic music...in NY/NJ/PA

anybody know of good venues (big or small) in NY/NJ/PA that have a lot of killer electronic acts? i am NOT talking about DJs at clubs, etc.

I'm talking about original music performed by the artists themselves. any genre really, but also including indie rock bands that use a lot of synths. dance pop, nudisco...but really anything.

i'd love to hear if you guys know of anywhere, and where you guys like to go check shows out.

even better, if you've performed at one of them yourself, i'd love to hear about it!

Old 18th April 2013
  #2
Gear addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 

I live in the tri state area, and I have wondered the same exact question. I almost wish I had the money to open up a venue were underground electronic artists can share music and ideas etc. Would be cool to have a strfkr or passion pit type band one night, and then some random guy with a massive modular system the next night. One can dream.
Old 18th April 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
that WOULD be awesome

i know Union Transfer in Philadelphia has some cool acts come there, i know strfkr played there, and i saw neon indian there. Com Truise played at this First Unitarian Church as well, but I haven't been there. Electric Factory has more mainstream type of acts, but I've only seen Crystal Castles there.

I have a feeling there has to be a lot more of these around than we know about, especially in NYC (which I'm now currently closer too...I went to school by Philly but now I'm back in NJ).

Webster Hall is a fun place but I've only seen one show there (of Montreal).

I'm not sure where most gs members in this part of the forum are located, but I really hope somebody knows of some awesome places
Old 18th April 2013
  #4
Gear addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
that WOULD be awesome

i know Union Transfer in Philadelphia has some cool acts come there, i know strfkr played there, and i saw neon indian there. Com Truise played at this First Unitarian Church as well, but I haven't been there. Electric Factory has more mainstream type of acts, but I've only seen Crystal Castles there.

I have a feeling there has to be a lot more of these around than we know about, especially in NYC (which I'm now currently closer too...I went to school by Philly but now I'm back in NJ).

Webster Hall is a fun place but I've only seen one show there (of Montreal).

I'm not sure where most gs members in this part of the forum are located, but I really hope somebody knows of some awesome places
Duuuude I saw crystal castles at the Electric Factory as well. Alice spit jack daniels into the crowd.

Union Transfer is always a favorite of mine I saw Black angels and STRFKR there.

If you like 8bit, there is an underground 8bit community called 8static that has a show every month in philly.

I live in NJ as well.
Old 18th April 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
LOL was this back in october? that jack got on my face...i actually made eye contract with her as i held her up when she was crowd surfing...her eyes are even creepier up close lol

i really loved union transfer, but i found out about it right before i graduated college which was a bummer.

i do like 8bit a lot, so that's awesome. i'm going to look that up now

and awesome, what part? i'm by the shore / near the center...monmouth county. it's nice because i'm basically the same distance from nyc and philly, but there's nothing really (that i know of) around here, besides PNC which is meh. that and Stone Pony, but i haven't been there in a long time and i don't think either of them really have the kind of music i'm talking about
Old 18th April 2013
  #6
Gear addict
 

In NYC there are tons:

Cameo Gallery
Glasslands
Public Assembly
285 Kent

Jump out as consistently booking lots of electronic acts, mostly underground stuff though: LIES, 100% Silk, Hippos in Tanks, Hyperdub, etc
Old 18th April 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
awesome, thanks! i'm going to look into all of those
Old 18th April 2013
  #8
Gear addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
LOL was this back in october? that jack got on my face...i actually made eye contract with her as i held her up when she was crowd surfing...her eyes are even creepier up close lol

i really loved union transfer, but i found out about it right before i graduated college which was a bummer.

i do like 8bit a lot, so that's awesome. i'm going to look that up now

and awesome, what part? i'm by the shore / near the center...monmouth county. it's nice because i'm basically the same distance from nyc and philly, but there's nothing really (that i know of) around here, besides PNC which is meh. that and Stone Pony, but i haven't been there in a long time and i don't think either of them really have the kind of music i'm talking about
Yes it was! My one friend was losing it because she looked right at him as he was holding her in the crowd surf. That was a sick show.

I live up near Clinton NJ. NYC and philly are similar drives as well.
Old 18th April 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
haha yeah i made eye contact with her too, the girl is freaky. love her lol.

and ah nice, that's a good location to be in!
Old 18th April 2013
  #10
Gear addict
 
smokingrobot's Avatar
 

Stevism - i play shows in philly at various venues. I mostly am only DJ'ing at the moment and not performing any kind of live stuff but we were trying to throw a Live Performance + DJ thing at a place in CC but it kind of fell on its face as the venue just doesnt have the kind of walk in traffic to support the event (plus a few other various reasons / tickets too high etc).

Hit me up via PM and send me a link to your stuff, im friends with a lot of promoters as well and I can at least put you in touch with some people in philadelphia.
Old 18th April 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
hey man that's awesome! i started this thread more as a "i want to go to electronic shows as a fan" thread, and i don't really have any stuff to play live at the moment. i'd love to check out your stuff / see a live show, and i'd be interested in seeing what venues you're playing at now.

hopefully someone else will be able to take you up on your offer!
Old 18th April 2013
  #12
Gear addict
 
smokingrobot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
hey man that's awesome! i started this thread more as a "i want to go to electronic shows as a fan" thread, and i don't really have any stuff to play live at the moment. i'd love to check out your stuff / see a live show, and i'd be interested in seeing what venues you're playing at now.

hopefully someone else will be able to take you up on your offer!
oh haha, my bad - i completely mis understood, my fault for not reading carefully.

As far as venues - there are a bunch - I actually have a gig at Underground Arts next Thursday bringing Dead Rose Music Co. & Anna Lunoe, however that will all be DJ'ed. But that venue hosts mostly live performance stuff as well. Its smaller than places like the Troq or the TLA but bigger than the smaller room venues.

As for smaller places - look up Johnny Brenda's, occasionally the Barbary hosts live acts (i saw MIdnight Magic there not too long ago, great show)...

In a nearby neighborhood to both barbary and JB's is Silk City which mostly has DJ nights but occasionally performed stuff as well.

The Dolphin in south philly off broad st just reopened, but it might only be DJs for now but lots of House music played there.

Connie's Ric Rac in south philly gets some smaller shows now and then. There's also Mllkboy in center city. You already mentioned the Church - the guy who was booking most of the church shows is the one who opened up Union Transfer so most of his shows will be at UT form now on i assume, but other folks have been booking acts at the church still.

In West Philly there's the Blockley that gets some cool stuff now and again too.

And last but not least are the Making Time parties which are a mix of live and DJ'ed stuff usually bringing great talent through with great lineups. If i think of anything else i'll edit the post
Old 18th April 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
I played at UT on the last east coast run, the crowd was awesome and very receptive.
Old 18th April 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Output in Bk is pretty dope...best sound system I've heard in a while and went 3 wknds in a row my first time, lol. Kinda pricey entrance; but I think it's getting cheaper as they realize $30 is just too much for kids these days.
Old 18th April 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Baltimore has a budding scene. Mostly warehouse parties at the moment but there is the Hour Haus The Hour Haus that might be a good place for out of town bands to play. IM me if you would like some help booking a show in Baltimore, I'll try to put you in contact with people.
Old 18th April 2013
  #16
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
great thread...Im in NYC just now but will be down in philly possibly for a few months


will check some of these suggestions out
Old 18th April 2013
  #17
Gear maniac
 
Guns N Dope's Avatar
 

Might be a bit too underground but Red Light District in Far Rockaway and The Roboto Project in Pittsburg are two of my favorite venues to play in that area. Not sure if Death By Audio in Brooklyn is still doing shows but it was pretty legit too.
Old 18th April 2013
  #18
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Output in Bk is pretty dope...best sound system I've heard in a while and went 3 wknds in a row my first time, lol. Kinda pricey entrance; but I think it's getting cheaper as they realize $30 is just too much for kids these days.
So far just DJ sets though I believe (I think he is looking for live performances). I saw you RSVPed to the Rolando one on RA, did you end up going?
Old 18th April 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Output in Bk is pretty dope...best sound system I've heard in a while and went 3 wknds in a row my first time, lol. Kinda pricey entrance; but I think it's getting cheaper as they realize $30 is just too much for kids these days.
Kind of excited to check it out for the RBMA closing event end of may.
Old 18th April 2013
  #20
Gear addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 

Not to hijack the thread, but how does one go about playing there music at these places? When I finally start making tracks I'm happy with I would really like to play in the underground scene.
Old 18th April 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 

You may want to check out the warper night at "The Delancey".

Quote:
8pm Doors
DJ Shakey and BangInclude present Warper – NYC’s largest Electronic Music Showcase
Featuring live music from 20 electronic music acts on multiple floors, plus projections, workshops, and interactive art!
next one is 4/30
Old 19th April 2013
  #22
Gear addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 

Nobody is going to answer my question? :/
Quote
1
Old 19th April 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR View Post
Nobody is going to answer my question? :/
Go to events, make friends, share your music.
Old 19th April 2013
  #24
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
Go to events, make friends, share your music.
That's really the best way. Go and participate. Go to a ton of shows, talk to people you see over and over. Share music because of shared interests and friendship not "networking".

Not sure what your particular scene is, but several parties like Mr. Saturday, Turrbotax, and Bunker have a regular crowd that has lead to people forging friendships, collaborating, and has lead to people getting signed to labels, etc.
Old 20th April 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Ya, I went.
Old 20th April 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
what kind of music are you making 80SR? since we live so close, maybe we could collaborate (could obviously just be online at first) on a couple of tracks and see where it leads. i'm open to a variety of styles, i haven't been actually making much stuff recently, just jamming.
Old 20th April 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
Yes dude, The Blockley in Philly. All the cool acts pass through like Fred flake, Oliver etc.
Old 20th April 2013
  #28
Gear addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
what kind of music are you making 80SR? since we live so close, maybe we could collaborate (could obviously just be online at first) on a couple of tracks and see where it leads. i'm open to a variety of styles, i haven't been actually making much stuff recently, just jamming.
http://soundcloud.com/80sr/2-channels
Well right now I have been on a psycore phase

However, I like to make slower trance, industrial sounding house, acid music, pretty much anything. I would be down to collaborate.
Old 21st April 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
so many great venues to check out, thanks everyone! also, pm sent 80sr
Old 22nd April 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
I have only played at one of the spots mentioned, UT, but it was organized by my booking agent as a part of the entire east coast leg of the tour.

I don't have my own personal booker, it's all via the label.

So I suppose the advice would be to find a booking agent? I'm sure you could just call each venue yourself but I would imagine some aren't super receptive to that sort of thing.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.