greenlights
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

New Prophet 12 Sound Demo

17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

really awesome sounding! sounds like someone who made this demo really likes afx
messiaen
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
messiaen

wow! huge range of tibres, some really beautiful pads, 'spacey' tones, haunting, its sounds very atmospheric, could do some great 'Eraserhead' type soundtrack stuff on this!!! Has nice 'bell' tones too, sounds very versitile. Will be mine.
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting demo.

But.. still sounds too digital/harsh for my taste.
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

great demo.. GAS level rising..
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

damn that things sounds amazing. so many different styles can be covered. sounds very versatile, even a lil bit of freak out type at the end. i dont need a synth like this since im covered but i would be after it if i was in the market. good shit
greenlights
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Just like I thought, I'm pretty convinced that my Virus TI2 and Prophet 08 can handle these duties. I'm still going to get the Nord Lead 4. I think that'll be something different in my sound canvas!
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Just like I thought, I'm pretty convinced that my Virus TI2 and Prophet 08 can handle these duties. I'm still going to get the Nord Lead 4. I think that'll be something different in my sound canvas!
Yes, the Nord Lead 4 will be the perfect synth to complement your Ti2 & P08.

For some reason the P12 did not hit the right chord with my taste.

I'm currently evaluating the P08. (I have the Ti2 & Nord Lead 2X Rack) and they complement each other wonderfully

I also love my Moog Little Phatty StageII Great for Creamy thick lead, and Punchy Tight Basses, lots of fun, and fast-n-easy to program !

Cheers,
Muziksculp
greenlights
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I have two White Slim Phattys on top of that!!!
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

I think that demo sounds absolutely brilliant. The P12 has bags of character.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Yeah, I forgot to mention, I have two White Slim Phattys on top of that!!!
Very Cool !

so....You have twin-albino LPhatties

imho. the Moog LPhattty is a classic synth, love everything about this synth. I would love it if Moog makes a modern version of their Memory Moog with 6, or maybe 8 voices of polyphony. Now...That would be a killer analog synth. (just dreaming).

Cheers,
Muziksculp
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

I quite like this.. a lot more than the 8. It seems more versatile. I really enjoy some of the older warbly sounds on there. I wonder how it does at brass stabs. I know that is a commonish sound but I have a hard time finding good ones on newer gear.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Matrix Modulator

Have to agree -- this new demo really is revealing the greatness of this instrument.

Love the post industrial "warblecore" sounds.
messiaen
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
messiaen

It seems to me more people are getting MORE excited about the thin sounding Korg Volca blip making toys than this amazing sound sculpturing machine, but each to thier own I guess!
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen View Post
It seems to me more people are getting MORE excited about the thin sounding Korg Volca blip making toys than this amazing sound sculpturing machine, but each to thier own I guess!
That's because more people can afford the Volka, it does not mean this P12 demo is not amazing.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

I love both, but the Volcas Im likely to actually get, the P12 is for me as affordable as a trip to Space.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

I love both too. Of course I will only be able to afford the Volcas for now.
Gear: Analog Keys, JX3P, Nord Electro 3, Mopho Keyboard, Machinedrum, Minimonsta, Oddity, Diva, TAL synths, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Valhalla, Fabfilter, Softube, Ozone, Ableton Live, Push, SPL Crimson, Neumann KH 120 A
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

beautiful sounds. nice demo. thanks!

edit: listening a 2nd time. this is a great sounding synth. nice patches. soft and very pretty. sounds classic to me and those evolving arps with the fm or whatever going on are just juicy as fvck.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

My god, is this instrument already a future classic?
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

I'm really considering selling my Jupiter 6 to get this. The P12 sounds a lot closer to my taste. Perhaps I should sell my Microwave I as well, this seems to have those bases pretty much covered though it sounds like the wavetable system is quite different. Between those two I'd pretty much be there in terms of funds...

Hmmm, I'll wait until I get a hands-on experience. Some of those sounds really grabbed me. From about 16:00 on was just amazing.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

who's the synth programmer? even setting aside that the hardware sounds spectacular, this is REALLY good sound design.

edit: I could never sell my JP6 though.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
My god, is this instrument already a future classic?
Everything these days is if you ask a salesperson.

Take away the hyperbole, and you are still left over with a synth that on this recording doesn't sound half bad.

BTW, this thread should really be merged with the main p-12 one, this clip was featured there a couple of days before this thread...

Gear list
Synth sounds

...Marimba trills!
20th April 2013
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
I love both, but the Volcas Im likely to actually get, the P12 is for me as affordable as a trip to Space.
Hmm, now that you mention it, many of the sounds in this demo would be perfect accompaniment for a trip to space... :]
20th April 2013
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
who's the synth programmer? even setting aside that the hardware sounds spectacular, this is REALLY good sound design.
Rozzer
20th April 2013
Old 20th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post

edit: I could never sell my JP6 though.
Thanks! No, don't sell your JP6.
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Interesting demo.

But.. still sounds too digital/harsh for my taste.
Great variations in sound sculpting though, on the P12. It's really a shame it's digital with comparatively thin flat sound compared to analog...
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Gear interested

greenlights
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds good here, this is the sound I like. Here, I'll do a favor for the Gearslutz ITB guys.

Video Details

It's been several months since we last had the Prophet 12 at our studio, and now, the Dave Smith Instruments team has given us a second run to create more factory bank patches. Much has changed, and all for the better, with the Prophet 12.

Firstly, it sounds much larger than before and there are more wavetables. Secondly, the stereo field is incredible. We were able to use very subtle panning modulations to create a strong and wide sense of space with the patches we've programmed. Also, the user interface has been incredibly streamlined providing us with a very speedy workflow while assigning very complex modulations. Lastly, the new arpeggiator is unbelievable.

Our many thanks go to everyone at DSI. It's an honor to be making patches for the next Prophet synth.

This demo was recorded via a Neve Portico Preamp into a Digidesign 192 Pro Tools HD interface. We recorded this synth no differently than we record all of our other synths. Also, there is no MIDI on this demo. Everything was played by hand and used the onboard controls and modulators present on the Prophet 12. And there are absolutely zero Emerson, Lake, and Palmer impressions nor any keyboard equivalents of the "Stairway to Heaven" solo. Nor will there ever be on this channel.
greenlights
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Now I'm contemplating on selling my P08 KB PE
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
great demo.. GAS level rising..

+1

Awesome, didn't even know this was out - too busy making music to go on a gearlust session, but well, maybe its that time again.

Really cool, and am curious to the types of sounds you can get out of this thing. Whats really nifty is the ability to assign a delay to EACH individual voice.

Think this will really compliment the Jupiter 6 and OB8 (among our other toys) - since my production partner and I got rid of the Pro 5 due to it starting to get way too wonky, not worth the repair.

I really really don't understand some of the comments saying its 'digital and harsh'. Really? It sounds smoother than the JP6, so I dono what you guys are listening on. But I'm not comparing them side by side, or as a 'replacement for anything' really wanting a big voice with great sound, and a ton of on-board control that compliments the other stuff we have to work with.

Its cool that smaller designers like Dave are listening to the market (unlike the larger guys like Roland).

To me, Roland is a keyboard manufacture, not an instrument designer.

You know the 'band in a box' type thing where you see the 'musical director' of a cruise ship play sh*t renditions of Britney Spears songs with a "Calypso" or "Bossanova" beat backing it.

This IS going to be on the short list of new stuff to add to the mix this year..

Plenty of excitement over here.

Last edited by peter_martin; 24th April 2013 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: one more thing
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search