How do I get the Lead sound from "Gentlemen" by PSY.
EccentricBeats
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Gear interested

How do I get the Lead sound from "Gentlemen" by PSY.

I'm working on a instrumental remake, and I cannot recreate the sound for the life of me. I can construct the basic synth, but I cannot get that "tuba" sound. I've tried numerous techniques, nothing works. By the way, I am using Massive.
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Gear interested

Recomend you check out one of vsti's called 'zebra2'. glance at pacth called 'electro bassline' in it.
EccentricBeats
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienshauny View Post
Recomend you check out one of vsti's called 'zebra2'. glance at pacth called 'electro bassline' in it.
Really? Yeah, this is the last time I use this site.. I'll be sure to try KVR audio. Maybe those people will be a little more on the helpful side, and a little less on the comedic side.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Dude but they were serious,zebra does those sounds they use in those productions. Sylenth also does those sounds. I am actually pretty sure all sounds used there are in presets in sylenth or in one pack Sylenth is imo most used synth among people that make such music i believe....Check it and browse through presets, youd be suprised how many of them are directly used in a lot of such tracks.
msl
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricBeats View Post
Why are you even here if you're not gonna actually help? If I wanna hear horrible jokes, I'll go to a local comedy club. Thank you.

LOL

18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? Yeah, this is the last time I use this site.. I'll be sure to try KVR audio. Maybe those people will be a little more on the helpful side, and a little less on the comedic side.
But what if KVR tell you its also Zebra? Kind of screwed then aren't you? Unless of course you decide to follow the advice you've proactively saught - so what you got to lose by trying Zebra, if it allows to create said instrumental then only your dignity

Sent from my GT-I8190
Tuesday Knight
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Tuesday Knight

Quote:
I doubt it. They'll be less helpful and a lot less funny.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you just need a thicker skin... it's like going to a latin music forum, then asking how to sound like Macarena. Or asking on a rock'n'roll forum about the mics used in MMMbop. You know you're gonna get ridiculed a bit.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
What? Aww...No... : (
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

Have you tried taking two oscillators...?

...... Perhaps detuning them .... ?
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

i hate that this thread made me finally listen to that song...
msl
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
i hate that this thread made me finally listen to that song...

I dare you to google "One Pound One Fish"

18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Only 1 post history, that' s not odd.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
I heard if you play Gangnam Style backwards it becomes Gentlemen.

This link will wash you eardrums out if you accidentally hear any Psy songs.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Alienshauny is aphex twin
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
anyone who asks how to get someone else's sound ought to be drawn and quartered. and the more obnoxious, faddish and pop cultured that someone else is, the more violent the vivisecting
I really don't see the problem with it. Chances are it will just give the person a better understanding of making patches and how doing certain things will effect the sound. Not everyone who asks about how to get someone's sound is trying to rip off a person's style.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post

Holy christ
My ears are bleeding.

The guy looks like a dentist.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear maniac

I just watched the Psy video.
I think he has Hammer time pants on now. I smell a crossover soon.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologie View Post
I just watched the Psy video.
I think he has Hammer time pants on now. I smell a crossover soon.
your olfactory timing is off. might wanna have that checked

18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear maniac

That's what i get for not giving a damn about pop culture. oh well, i'll go back to my hole now.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Why are you even here if you're not gonna actually help? If I wanna hear horrible jokes, I'll go to a local comedy club. Thank you.
Oh come on! You're not being fair...to comedy clubs. I can't think of any that would tolerate my lame humor.

Think my jokes are bad? You should hear my music.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post

I heard that one on NPR a couple of weeks ago in my car. I almost jumped out - while I was driving.
Eat
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Eat
Lives for gear

does anybody know how to get the lead sound on one pound fish?
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

You pound the fish obviously.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Banned

Quote:
I'm working on a instrumental remake, and I cannot recreate the sound for the life of me. I can construct the basic synth, but I cannot get that "tuba" sound. I've tried numerous techniques, nothing works. By the way, I am using Massive.
With all the tips you received here, you might be able to get it closer than this one:

19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
I really don't see the problem with it. Chances are it will just give the person a better understanding of making patches and how doing certain things will effect the sound. Not everyone who asks about how to get someone's sound is trying to rip off a person's style.
Agreed. When I started doing EM, I was totally into Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk. I replicated tons of their stuff and don't think I ended up being a soundalike at all. Just learning from great examples.
Then again, in this case, I doubt PSY did much other than scroll thru some presets until one caught his attention and worry more about how to promote the song than any creative sonic aspect.
I could be wrong however, because I am not going to listen to it. Ever. If I can avoid it.
The other thing is, nobody told me how to make sounds. I just experimented and learnt how to create certain sounds, so just TRYING is sometimes better than asking. You won't get your answer as quick perhaps, but you will learn more on the way and have a lot of fun.
Tuesday Knight
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Tuesday Knight

Look in Nexus, you'll probably find it there..
20th April 2013
Old 20th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Knight View Post
<deleted by moderator>
wat the... man, do you have any idea what you're talking about ?? go do some reading.

Last edited by Reptil; 21st April 2013 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: :-S
20th April 2013
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfunk View Post

dirty yank c@nt... no wonder the world hates you all.. great to see your increasingly fast decline
20th April 2013
Old 20th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
does anybody know how to get the lead sound on one pound fish?
Try taking two bass, maybe detuning them?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search