New Reply
Subscribe
3phase
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Banned

Emulator 2 prices tendency..

Hi,
a friend of me wants to sell his Emulator 2 he once got from me..
I wonder whether its a bit unwise moment to sell it because of the ongoing 80´s hype and the fact that there are only few machines that influenced the 80´s soud as much as the emulator 2..

Are the prices going up for these sweet monsters? Anybody has seen some going lately and can tell me me for what price?

thnks
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

I think their prices are through the roof, if you can sell now to a collector do so, it might be worth more, but it's a gamble, its big, and not as useful as newer tools.

I wanted to buy one years ago, but even at the $250-300 prices they were going for seemed like too much! I'd sell now while retro is still big, before another synth fashion trend starts up.

They sell high now(if you can find a seller). Ebay it. It'll be a pain to ship(have to crate it), but i'm sure you can get better value elsewhere if you're not a collector.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 View Post
I think their prices are through the roof, if you can sell now to a collector do so, it might be worth more, but it's a gamble, its big, and not as useful as newer tools.

I wanted to buy one years ago, but even at the $250-300 prices they were going for seemed like too much! I'd sell now while retro is still big, before another synth fashion trend starts up.

They sell high now(if you can find a seller). Ebay it. It'll be a pain to ship(have to crate it), but i'm sure you can get better value elsewhere if you're not a collector.
I doubt you would have to crate it to send, have you sent one before?

"When people ask me how to "get started in the music business" or "how to make it" I always tell them to figure out how to live on $500 a month and that the rest will happen from that."

-TastyFake
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

I sent an Emulator 3, and recieved one...nightmare! very similar, and the EII is bigger and heavier, no?
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

oh, and with something that heavy, EXPECT UPS to drop it and a normal cardboard box wont withstand that damge.

I had an inch missing from the sold EIII exterior...they "lost it" after dropping it...had to reseat all the connectors and vacumn all the peanuts out of it....

it did sound glorious once working though....
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
Hi,
a friend of me wants to sell his Emulator 2 he once got from me..
I wonder whether its a bit unwise moment to sell it because of the ongoing 80´s hype and the fact that there are only few machines that influenced the 80´s soud as much as the emulator 2..

Are the prices going up for these sweet monsters? Anybody has seen some going lately and can tell me me for what price?

thnks
As they are vintage, if your EII is in great physical shape, both floppy drives work, power supply in good condition, and you have the original factory sample disks, you're likely to get a really nice price ($1500 or more) for it.

Once you start taking away from that, things start to devolve a bit, especially when things are in need of repair (drives, power supply, etc).

Do everyone a favor and consider this: If you like the sampler more than what you might get for it (using the above number as a mean average), keep it. Overvaluation of a machine and then putting it up for sale will only suffer you negative response at best, and cause you a bit of distress. Search ebay completed auctions, google, etc., and make reasonable and honest evaluation of the machine.

Regarding shipping, a crate isn't exactly necessary and isn't going to buy you much protection that a solid box and excellent packing skills will provide. In fact, the most sensitive parts of this synth are the drives themselves. They're the most susceptible to sudden g-force damage.

If it's the Emulator II+HD, then that ups the ante a lot, because of the fact that the old miniscribe MFM drives (20MB size) are incredibly fragile. In that case you'd want to remove the drives and ship them in their own box with adequate protection.

I own an Emulator II+HD, and thoroughly enjoy the machine. It doesn't take a collector to appreciate the sampling engine; while it's many orders of magnitude less than current technology, it still has it's own sound, and is very limited in comparison to things like Kontakt, or an Octatrack -- but the fun is using that limitation in creative ways.

3phase
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Banned

the only sampler where sampling a moog results in something better than from the moog..even when it sounds quite different and not like a hifi sample at all..

In my opinion the only sampler that really makes sense in a modern daw world..

i am tempted to get it back..but really have no space for it right now.. its actually huge
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search