Login / Register

can too much midi info be dangerous?
New Reply
Subscribe
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

can too much midi info be dangerous?

ok, i'm really curious about this. I dont want to damage anything, and I've kind of wondered this.

Can too fast of info be dangerous to control a module with?

I'm wondering because right now I've got my MFB522 mapped to my nord modular g2, and i'm sending midi to it, but I can send midi gates as fast as an oscillator, audio field.

Would overloading it's midi cause more problem than possibly crashing it? If it had my bass drum at audio rate...can i cause damage?

just curious:-)
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Midi transmits at 31.25 kbaud which is painfully slow compared to other digital transmission standards in use today. When too many commands are sent you will develop latency. This usually happens with cc messages (twiddling knobs). I would expect that you would experience the same thing with the scenario you describe. If the gates didn't overload the midi cable the MFB's envelopes probably wouldn't be fast enough to handle them. I don't think you would cause any harm to your equipment.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

it will explode!
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
it will explode!

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I am not a technician but never heard of real damage. Some units might hang themselves up (Little Phatty and Sunsyn come to mind - or any DAW if you have a midi feedback loop and twist some knobs ;-). Just "restart" the OS of the synth by switching the unit off & on and it is all well again.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Oh man, I once used too much MIDI.. Man, you don't want to do that, man...

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

My Recordings/Credits

Midi gave me aids :(
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Like, the amount of midi I use these days is insane. Or at least worrying...
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

crashed my future retro xs sending fast arps to it over midi from octatrack

crashed ableton tons of times sending way too much midi cc changes at all 5 channels to a midines

nothing was ever damaged, a reboot of the crashed equipment brought it back up online ready to go
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

It's a good way to indeed test midi implementations with SW and various rigs but trust me, you won't burn the gear to pieces with too many MIDI events. As mentioned, the MIDI spec has a clock in its protocol so that will dictate how fast data arrives at each end. And if over USB, USB also has a clock speed in its specs.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

My old Atari ST running C-lab Notator used to get very "confused" when bombarded with too much MIDI data and on very rare occasion would remix the song I was working on for free before dying.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Dont' drink and drive!
Don't MIDI and synth!!!

Too much MIDI can do this:

Seriously, MIDI is not like a car that you can drive too fast. MIDI will only transmit data as fast as it is designed to do. If the receiving device/synth is overwhelmed with data, it will crash, lookup, or start ignore messages. I never heard that there was actual physical damage to anything.

Keep things simple: A can-opener lets you eat, not a microwave (Waldorf branded products excluded).
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

cancer causing levels of midi...

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

OP seriously:

i've tried using alternating pitch bend messages, into the audio range.. to try and get FM into an otherwise un-FM-able synth.. it didn't work.. I was going from -100% to +100% on the pitch bend, waaaay faster than audio rate by editing the control lane in cubase (make it as fast as you can, then timesquashing the element).. but.. my midi could not spit it out fast enough.. (i5 PC running cubase USB to midi)

it didn't work. I assumed because I was trying to send information fundamentally faster than midi

If you know a way of doing that over midi, please share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamblichus View Post
Midi transmits at 31.25 kbaud which is painfully slow compared to other digital transmission standards in use today. When too many commands are sent you will develop latency.
yea this is what happened to me
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

I sent a ton of midi cc messages to a Nord rack trying to make it freak out. Result: jammed midi note. Power off, power on. It's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post
This forum is insane- the hell was with all the conspiracy theory nonsense?

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've tried to make people's head explode with too much MIDI data, but all I can manage is to crash Cakewalk Sonar. Like someone above says, you might crash your DAW or some synth, but you will never damage anything.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Midi gave me aids :(
Do they help with the housework or what?
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
cancer causing levels of midi...

the ocean is full of cancer?
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
I sent a ton of midi cc messages to a Nord rack trying to make it freak out. Result: jammed midi note. Power off, power on. It's fine.
Try it with one CC. I did it like this on the N3r:

Map every control you can to the modwheel morph, turn the modwheel on your controller, and listen to the Nord beg for mercy.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Cancer causing MIDI data, atma. Dangerous stuff.

I know just the man for the job:

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

of course. Al Gore invented midi.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Do not take too much MIDI if you take nitrates, often prescribed for chest pain, as this may cause a sudden, unsafe drop in blood pressure.
Discuss your general health status with your doctor to ensure that you are healthy enough to engage in too much MIDI. If you experience chest pain, nausea, or any other discomforts during too much MIDI, seek immediate medical help.
In the rare event of too much MIDI lasting more than 4 hours, seek immediate medical help to avoid long-term injury.
If you are older than age 65, or have serious liver or kidney problems, your doctor may start you at the lowest dose (25 mg) of too much MIDI. If you are taking protease inhibitors, such as for the treatment of HIV, your doctor may recommend a 25 mg dose and may limit you to a maximum single dose of 25 mg of too much MIDI in a 48-hour period.
In rare instances, men taking PDE5 inhibitors (oral erectile dysfunction medicines, including too much MIDI) reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to these medicines or to other factors. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision, stop taking PDE5 inhibitors, including too much MIDI, and call a doctor right away.
Sudden decrease or loss of hearing has been rarely reported in people taking PDE5 inhibitors, including too much MIDI. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to the PDE5 inhibitors or to other factors. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of hearing, stop taking too much MIDI and contact a doctor right away.
If you have prostate problems or high blood pressure for which you take medicines called alpha blockers, your doctor may start you on a lower dose of too much MIDI.
too much MIDI should not be used with other ED treatments. too much MIDI should not be used with REVATIO or other products containing sildenafil.
too much MIDI does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV.
The most common side effects of too much MIDI are headache, facial flushing, and upset stomach. Less commonly, bluish vision, blurred vision, or sensitivity to light may briefly occur.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
Try it with one CC. I did it like this on the N3r:

Map every control you can to the modwheel morph, turn the modwheel on your controller, and listen to the Nord beg for mercy.
I can see how that would do it too.

I would like to try that out, but I've sold the Nord a couple years ago to fund other gear. I would like another tho...I am interested to see what the come out with in April.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear addict

Some synths have MIDI PANIC function. Emu Command Stations have it.

Too much MIDI messages at the same time can freeze the MIDI receiver or the transmiting master device but I doubt they can be harmful for the synths.

Using the right value on MIDI delay functions, thin events, checking the MIDI messages on each channel with edition view, can avoid getting something stuck.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

I was testing a Quneo with Reason 6 and Reason threw a shit fit about the system being overloaded with MIDI data

Virtual hardware rack indeed
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Be careful with first generation MIDI instruments.

I hooked up my brand new Kurzweil MIDIBoard to my Memorymoog Plus years ago. I inadvertantly left polyAT on, which can generate a torrent of MIDI traffic. After some playing from the MIDIBoard, the Memorymoog locked up. After power cycle I discovered several Memorymoog patches had been corrupted. The dense MIDI traffic overran the cpu stack, the firmware didn't have a stack pointer watchdog, and the cpu put the stack data into memory where the patches were. Ouch!
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Heh....maybe cause cpu and latency issues after doing to much. Im a big fan of printing the vst to audio as soon as possible and just saving a back up...usually record it to another channel instead of bouncing or in live freeze tracking it and droping it into a audio track. i import the chain over to the audio file to not commit that part. Midi is cool but i like to get it to audio asap and commit for a number of reasons...also i may record mono tracks through a neve style pre to print which gets me way more excited to commit
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Ah midi..

The poor man's CV.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
the ocean is full of cancer?
That is the radiation from the Fukushima meltdown. Lol. OR it's midi data from Japan spewing its evil digits across the Pacific Ocean.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search