Just got a Maschine Mikro
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Just got a Maschine Mikro

Very unexpected birthday present, a white MKII, I'm so stoked!
So far I've just done very basic things, like copy patterns over to my Logic arrange page, but I know there's so much more I can do.
I want to learn this thing inside/out, and a quick look on youtube shows tutorials to no end.

Are there any in particular vids you would recommend to make the sifting a bit less painful? I had a yearly sub to groove3 but that expired a few months ago, so thought the plethora of Maschine tutorials out there, surely there must be a few gems?

Thanks!
Old 26th March 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Very unexpected birthday present, a white MKII, I'm so stoked!
So far I've just done very basic things, like copy patterns over to my Logic arrange page, but I know there's so much more I can do.
I want to learn this thing inside/out, and a quick look on youtube shows tutorials to no end.
Are there any in particular you would recommend to make the sifting a bit less painful?

I had a yearly sub to groove3 but that expired a few months ago, surely there must be a few free Maschine tutorial gems out there.

Thanks!
I think the groove 3 tutorials might be free now, or at least very cheap if you register...though theyre pretty basic...check out dubspot for some more interesting tutorials
Old 26th March 2013
Nev
Lives for gear

The "Getting Started" PDF that came on the installation discs will run you thru an entire session from song creation, to sound selection, vst integration, etc etc.
Old 26th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
The "Getting Started" PDF that came on the installation discs will run you thru an entire session from song creation, to sound selection, vst integration, etc etc.
This for sure will teach you A LOT about your Maschine - do it! Also, check out Dubspot's tutorials, some of them are pretty good.
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

the NI videos with the bald alien looking guy will run you through the basics
after that i think the best is to just have at it, learn all the hardware shortcuts, they really help a lot
Old 26th March 2013
www.KevWestBeats.com

The manual is really good. I have lucked out to find a lot of good users who are happy to help. I am part of a Facebook group called Maschine Movement too which has been very helpful as well.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Head

I've asked this in an old thread in the Rap + Hip Hop forum but realised this might actually be more appropriate in here, as I'm not actually using my Mikro for Hip Hop, so here goes:

I'm trying to step sequence a melody on the Mikro. Once I've punched in the steps, how can I edit the individual steps' pitch from the controller? Is this even possible? I haven't been able to figure this out so far - the manual seems kinda vague about this... (I believe this to be possible on the full-size Maschine, so there should be a way of doing this here, right?)
Old 19th March 2014
Gear maniac

Thats a really good question, I have never used the step sequencer on melodies, only on drum beats. The sequencer is based off of the selected pad, the pad is the sample. When in a keyboard mode, you would most likely have a sequencer per note(individual pad). This sounds like a bit of a convoluted method of making a melody vs a standard step sequencer. Im'a take some time to try this out at home.

The workflow would likely work this way:
Say I pick 4 notes that arpegiate up in pitch and repeat one a single page or bar

-pick first note and punch it in on the first step of the first page(very bottom left pad)
-pick second note and punch in on the bottom left pad of the second row
-pick 3rd, first left on 3rd row from bottom
-pick 4th note on the top left

you should have a very basic slow 4 note melody.

mix it up by picking notes with the select button an repositioning where they play.
Each note must be controlled individually.

This probably is not something you could do in a live scenario, but you can probably develope a good workflow on it.
Keep in mind with a basic melody, you can always go back to keyboard and improvise over top of the played notes(i like to do this with record off, so that its different with each improvisation layed over a basic beat. Only have done this with drums though)

Try it out, let me know. I know ill be giving it a shot when I sit down with my micro some point this week!!
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortikon View Post
Thats a really good question, I have never used the step sequencer on melodies, only on drum beats. The sequencer is based off of the selected pad, the pad is the sample. When in a keyboard mode, you would most likely have a sequencer per note(individual pad). This sounds like a bit of a convoluted method of making a melody vs a standard step sequencer. Im'a take some time to try this out at home.

The workflow would likely work this way:
Say I pick 4 notes that arpegiate up in pitch and repeat one a single page or bar

-pick first note and punch it in on the first step of the first page(very bottom left pad)
-pick second note and punch in on the bottom left pad of the second row
-pick 3rd, first left on 3rd row from bottom
-pick 4th note on the top left

you should have a very basic slow 4 note melody.

mix it up by picking notes with the select button an repositioning where they play.
Each note must be controlled individually.

This probably is not something you could do in a live scenario, but you can probably develope a good workflow on it.
Keep in mind with a basic melody, you can always go back to keyboard and improvise over top of the played notes(i like to do this with record off, so that its different with each improvisation layed over a basic beat. Only have done this with drums though)

Try it out, let me know. I know ill be giving it a shot when I sit down with my micro some point this week!!
Yes, I think that works, not a very effective way of doing it though. As far as I can tell, on the regular size Maschine you can basically sequence your rhythm (using, say, Massive as your sound source) and then, holding down the pad corresponding to the desired step, pitch it by twisting one of the knobs. I'm looking for a way of doing this on the Mikro. The function isn't mentioned in the Mikro's manual, so I'm not sure if this is even implemented. If it isn't though, it would be somewhat disappointing, as I can't really see a reason for removing it.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Head

In case anyone is interested, I haven't had any replies regarding this issue anywhere, so I'm just assuming editing events in step sequencer mode isn't supported on the Mikro. Anyway, the closest I've come to being able to do this is like this:

- Load a sound source (sample, Massive, etc) onto a pad.
- Enter step sequencer mode and program the desired pattern. It will obviously all be in the root note.
- Enter keyboard mode and select the event you want to edit.
- Using Shift + Semitone +/-, pitch the event to the note you want.

It's not ideal, but I've found this much more convenient than using several step sequencer tracks or dragging notes up and down with the mouse. Hope NI decide to add event editing in step mode on the Mikro at some point...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search