Early David Morales production
Old 26th March 2013
  #1
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Early David Morales production

Hi everybody

This is my first post on the forum
I'd like to talk about House production in the late 80's, especially David Morales Mixes. Here is what I'm talking about :



As a "digital kid" who recently turned into machines and stuff, I'm pretty curious about the workflow on this kind of track. I mean, it sounds really dynamic compared with nowadays revival.

Kick/Snare sounds like Linndrumm to me + Comp and reverb. Seems claps and hats could be 707 (once again I could be wrong since i'venever owned those)
Bass may be a SH101,or... ? I also wonder which synth the solo is played on.

But the main question is about overall production, mixing and recording :
those dub mixes sound very in-your-face, does it come from the DAT recording ? Where the magic comes from ?
Old 26th March 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
graphs's Avatar
Dance producers and remixers back in these times most often used pro studios. Morales was pretty big shit back then... I think what you're hearing is a professional mixing engineer in a big budget studio, not a DAT tape.

Can't speak to the individual elements much though.
Old 26th March 2013
  #3
Nev
Lives for gear
 
Nev's Avatar
 

Good old fashion 2 inch reel, with Josh Milan on the keyboards. Maybe we can get David Morales to jump on GZ and shed some light on his production techniques back then.

Doesn't hurt to ask
Old 26th March 2013
  #4
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Is it me or has that track got bassline issues.....?

I agree with what you're hearing is a pro engineer in a proper studio. But that particular track still has bassline issues with timing and weirdness.....
Old 26th March 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
graphs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Good old fashion 2 inch reel, with Josh Milan on the keyboards. Maybe we can get David Morales to jump on GZ and shed some light on his production techniques back then.

Doesn't hurt to ask
Anyone have David's email?
Old 26th March 2013
  #6
Sound Designer
 
Wildfunk's Avatar
 

Old 26th March 2013
  #7
Gear maniac
 
FrankieP's Avatar
 

Together with Frankie Knuckles, Morales is a favorite of mine back in the day when I was still DJing. As members of Defmix, their productions has that certain sound that I wanted to imitate when I first dabbled into remixing and music production. I guess you could really thank David "EQ3" Sussman for that. He is the engineer for most if not all of their tracks back then. If you're after that sound and production technique, I think it'll be better to seek out Sussman instead.
Quote
1
Old 26th March 2013
  #8
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Is it me or has that track got bassline issues.....?

I agree with what you're hearing is a pro engineer in a proper studio. But that particular track still has bassline issues with timing and weirdness.....
No quantizing = more groove ! Sounds way more human off the grid


Never heard of David Sussman, has anyone got more info about this guy ?
Frankie you've got mad production skills !
Old 26th March 2013
  #9
Nev
Lives for gear
 
Nev's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP View Post
Together with Frankie Knuckles, Morales is a favorite of mine back in the day when I was still DJing. As members of Defmix, their productions has that certain sound that I wanted to imitate when I first dabbled into remixing and music production. I guess you could really thank David "EQ3" Sussman for that. He is the engineer for most if not all of their tracks back then. If you're after that sound and production technique, I think it'll be better to seek out Sussman instead.
Wrd.

DV8, Logic, Master at Work, David Morales...the list goes on & on.

What people are calling "Future Garage" now was merely just the Hardhouse remix of a great track on any House label in the 90s. The bass kick had a strong attack, punchy & loud, the bass synths were staccato with a wickled swing. Had to be like that for clubs like Ozone, Red Zone, Limelight, Sound Factory. Even on some of the vinyls the mix was called (Hardhouse remix) lol. Great stuff.







Old 26th March 2013
  #10
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Kenny Dope, Todd Terry, Adonis, Chez Damier, MK, R.Sanchez, Louie Vega, Armand van Helden, George Morel, Mood II Swing, Liberty City... First class US house producers from 88 to 93-94. Then UK took the lead. I'm not fond of the faster garage stuff though.

IMHO most of those guys were more DIY and raw (highly compressed rhythms, dirty sound) compared to Morales for instance who has that subtle engineered sound. It may be because he was working with/for pop producers. I can't find many other house tunes from that era with such an equilibrate (but still efficient in the club) mixing.

This one from Vince B comes close (and I love it soooo much)
Old 27th March 2013
  #11
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilesp View Post
No quantizing = more groove ! Sounds way more human off the grid


Never heard of David Sussman, has anyone got more info about this guy ?
Frankie you've got mad production skills !
More groove? the thing is twitching and stuttering like a dying animal on that track. I love most old Morales tracks, but that bassline is just ill. And I don't mean in a good way.
Old 27th March 2013
  #12
Gear maniac
 
FrankieP's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilesp View Post
No quantizing = more groove ! Sounds way more human off the grid


Never heard of David Sussman, has anyone got more info about this guy ?
Frankie you've got mad production skills !
Thank you sir! That was the beauty of vinyl back then. You not only play the track but you find yourself staring and studying the credits and who's who on the record. David "EQ3" Sussman was always mentioned as the engineer and that's how I got to know the name. One thing about the Defmix production team, it wasn't just one guy, it's a collaboration of talented session musicians and engineers. Morales is known and always credited with the drum programming, keyboards and synths are always credited to either Eric Kupper, Terry Burrus or Satoshie Tommiie. The engineers would either be Sussman or John Poppo.
Quote
1
Old 27th March 2013
  #13
Gear maniac
 
FrankieP's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilesp View Post
...Morales for instance who has that subtle engineered sound. It may be because he was working with/for pop producers.
Morales was the go to guy back then if a pop artist wanted to have a song remixed for the club. He had that signature sound by taking the acapella and marry it with a deep minor chord progressions. Sometimes the remix is totally different from the original track and that probably is because he had the access to the artist themselves and re-record the vocals to fit his style. Take Mariah Carey for example. I read somewhere that Mariah comes in and do a whole new take for the vocals with Morales acting as producer. "Dream Lover" and "Fantasy" are two examples that I can remember.
Quote
2
Old 27th March 2013
  #14
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

The Dream Lover 'remix' is one of the best house tracks ever made IMO. Boy, did that put the 'right' energy onto a floor back then!! And I normally dispise house music with lots of vocals on.....can't stand hands in the air gospely house shit. But that tune is filthy. Great track. He made Mariah filthy. Good work.
Quote
1
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
joaquin / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
15
wyndrock / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
2
Sounds Great / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
14
roylusty / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
5
nukmusic / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
5

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.