Subscribe
guilesp
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Early David Morales production

Hi everybody

This is my first post on the forum
I'd like to talk about House production in the late 80's, especially David Morales Mixes. Here is what I'm talking about :

As a "digital kid" who recently turned into machines and stuff, I'm pretty curious about the workflow on this kind of track. I mean, it sounds really dynamic compared with nowadays revival.

Kick/Snare sounds like Linndrumm to me + Comp and reverb. Seems claps and hats could be 707 (once again I could be wrong since i'venever owned those)
Bass may be a SH101,or... ? I also wonder which synth the solo is played on.

But the main question is about overall production, mixing and recording :
those dub mixes sound very in-your-face, does it come from the DAT recording ? Where the magic comes from ?
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Dance producers and remixers back in these times most often used pro studios. Morales was pretty big shit back then... I think what you're hearing is a professional mixing engineer in a big budget studio, not a DAT tape.

Can't speak to the individual elements much though.
Nev
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Nev
Lives for gear

Good old fashion 2 inch reel, with Josh Milan on the keyboards. Maybe we can get David Morales to jump on GZ and shed some light on his production techniques back then.

Doesn't hurt to ask
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Geariophile

Is it me or has that track got bassline issues.....?

I agree with what you're hearing is a pro engineer in a proper studio. But that particular track still has bassline issues with timing and weirdness.....
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Good old fashion 2 inch reel, with Josh Milan on the keyboards. Maybe we can get David Morales to jump on GZ and shed some light on his production techniques back then.

Doesn't hurt to ask
Anyone have David's email?
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Sound Designer

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Together with Frankie Knuckles, Morales is a favorite of mine back in the day when I was still DJing. As members of Defmix, their productions has that certain sound that I wanted to imitate when I first dabbled into remixing and music production. I guess you could really thank David "EQ3" Sussman for that. He is the engineer for most if not all of their tracks back then. If you're after that sound and production technique, I think it'll be better to seek out Sussman instead.
guilesp
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Is it me or has that track got bassline issues.....?

I agree with what you're hearing is a pro engineer in a proper studio. But that particular track still has bassline issues with timing and weirdness.....
No quantizing = more groove ! Sounds way more human off the grid

Never heard of David Sussman, has anyone got more info about this guy ?
Frankie you've got mad production skills !
Nev
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Nev
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP View Post
Together with Frankie Knuckles, Morales is a favorite of mine back in the day when I was still DJing. As members of Defmix, their productions has that certain sound that I wanted to imitate when I first dabbled into remixing and music production. I guess you could really thank David "EQ3" Sussman for that. He is the engineer for most if not all of their tracks back then. If you're after that sound and production technique, I think it'll be better to seek out Sussman instead.
Wrd.

DV8, Logic, Master at Work, David Morales...the list goes on & on.

What people are calling "Future Garage" now was merely just the Hardhouse remix of a great track on any House label in the 90s. The bass kick had a strong attack, punchy & loud, the bass synths were staccato with a wickled swing. Had to be like that for clubs like Ozone, Red Zone, Limelight, Sound Factory. Even on some of the vinyls the mix was called (Hardhouse remix) lol. Great stuff.

guilesp
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Kenny Dope, Todd Terry, Adonis, Chez Damier, MK, R.Sanchez, Louie Vega, Armand van Helden, George Morel, Mood II Swing, Liberty City... First class US house producers from 88 to 93-94. Then UK took the lead. I'm not fond of the faster garage stuff though.

IMHO most of those guys were more DIY and raw (highly compressed rhythms, dirty sound) compared to Morales for instance who has that subtle engineered sound. It may be because he was working with/for pop producers. I can't find many other house tunes from that era with such an equilibrate (but still efficient in the club) mixing.

This one from Vince B comes close (and I love it soooo much)
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilesp View Post

More groove? the thing is twitching and stuttering like a dying animal on that track. I love most old Morales tracks, but that bassline is just ill. And I don't mean in a good way.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:

Thank you sir! That was the beauty of vinyl back then. You not only play the track but you find yourself staring and studying the credits and who's who on the record. David "EQ3" Sussman was always mentioned as the engineer and that's how I got to know the name. One thing about the Defmix production team, it wasn't just one guy, it's a collaboration of talented session musicians and engineers. Morales is known and always credited with the drum programming, keyboards and synths are always credited to either Eric Kupper, Terry Burrus or Satoshie Tommiie. The engineers would either be Sussman or John Poppo.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
...Morales for instance who has that subtle engineered sound. It may be because he was working with/for pop producers.
Morales was the go to guy back then if a pop artist wanted to have a song remixed for the club. He had that signature sound by taking the acapella and marry it with a deep minor chord progressions. Sometimes the remix is totally different from the original track and that probably is because he had the access to the artist themselves and re-record the vocals to fit his style. Take Mariah Carey for example. I read somewhere that Mariah comes in and do a whole new take for the vocals with Morales acting as producer. "Dream Lover" and "Fantasy" are two examples that I can remember.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Geariophile

The Dream Lover 'remix' is one of the best house tracks ever made IMO. Boy, did that put the 'right' energy onto a floor back then!! And I normally dispise house music with lots of vocals on.....can't stand hands in the air gospely house shit. But that tune is filthy. Great track. He made Mariah filthy. Good work.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search